Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-27-2017, 02:42 AM   #1
plowking
Verticle?

Default Travel guides - New York/Los Angeles

Yo ISH.

Taking the misses to see LA, Vegas and NY in November. For the most part, I have a general idea of what I want to do in LA, and we have friends that are going to show us around. Same with Vegas. Only going to spend a night there, but want to take in the atmosphere.

Going for 14 days. Current idea is to stay 5 in LA, 1 or 2 in Vegas, and 7 in NY. For the most part, would you guys agree that is a decent enough time in each city given the time constraint?

As far as NY goes, what would be the main spots to hit up? Empire state, Rockefeller, Wall street, Broadway, Times Square, MSG, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, WTC memorial... Is the statue worth seeing up close?
Aside from the ones mentioned, anything else people would recommend? Happy to do the really touristy things as well as finding some hidden secrets.

Also how easy is it to get around NY? Is walking from Central Park to Empire State ridiculous? Or is it worth it as a tourist to walk and see things along the way instead of catching the train? I figure spending 7 days there will allow us to take a lot of it in.

Thanks for the help. And feel free to mention anything in LA worth visiting. We'll be spending most of our time around Hollywood, Rodeo drive, Santa Monica and Venice beach.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:10 AM   #2
Dresta
A humble prophet

Default Re: Travel guides - New York/Los Angeles

Why would you travel all that way to go to some of the shittiest places in the US? Have fun with the endless hordes of flesh and steel, it's quite something.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:19 AM   #3
Proctor
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
Why would you travel all that way to go to some of the shittiest places in the US? Have fun with the endless hordes of flesh and steel, it's quite something.
Same reason you get up every day and post your nonsensical political drivel - it's entertaining.
Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
Lord P
Made that high school varsity squad

The subway system is the best way to get around NY if you can learn it. You should go to Wall Street, Central Park, MSG, the Statue of Liberty. The Empire State building isnít much to see but the WTC memorial is really nice. The Bronx zoo>> Central Park zoo. I recommend visiting the Museum of Natural History, and just about every Italian pizzeria in the city.
Lord P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta

Jesus, could you be more boring?

Quote:
The subway system is the best way to get around NY if you can learn it. You should go to Wall Street, Central Park, MSG, the Statue of Liberty. The Empire State building isnít much to see but the WTC memorial is really nice. The Bronx zoo>> Central Park zoo. I recommend visiting the Museum of Natural History, and just about every Italian pizzeria in the city.

Cheers.

Would it be too difficult to walk around everywhere? More so, is it worth it seeing the sights along the way to the major places we want to go to?
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
Lord P
Made that high school varsity squad

Itís doable in Manhattan just because everything is so compact. I would not recommend walking in any other borough.
Lord P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
warriorfan
The Bully

Sounds fun plow, I'm headed to NY in October, I'll let you know what was cool

Btw can Dresta be any more miserable? Someone put that kid on suicide watch.
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
Im Still Ballin
WoooOOOOooooooooo!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
BigNBAfan
Great college starter

If you're going to California, 5 days is no where near enough.

I mean LA is pretty spread out. If i had to plan it, i would spend 3 days strictly in LA and visit the rest of California (San Diego, San Fran etc.) another time.

Lots of shopping to be done in LA, Hike the Hollywood sign and go out to a nice dinner. One of my favorite eats is fogo de chao in beverly hills. It's brazillian BBQ but last i recall it was 6x or 7x per person for dinner, and half that for lunch and the food is the same.

I would make a venice trip of course - catch some sun and enjoy the weather as it's gorgeous this time of the year.

Lastly - drive south down the 5 and visit Disneyland - i'm not the biggest fan but it's something everyone has to do atleast once, especially foreigners.
BigNBAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
ThePhantomCreep
College star

LA is massive and famously spread out, but most of the touristy things are located within a relatively compact 60 sq mile area between downtown LA and Santa Monica Beach:

Spend the bulk of your time here and LA won't seem so overwhelming. Downtown LA, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice, Santa Monica, the Getty Center, the Miracle Mile, etc, are all located here. Griffith Park, Universal City, and Exposition Park (home of the Space Shuttle Endeavor) are just outside this blob too.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
JohnnySic
green is good

Both awesome cities, and each brings a different dynamic.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking

Thanks for the help. And feel free to mention anything in LA worth visiting. We'll be spending most of our time around Hollywood, Rodeo drive, Santa Monica and Venice beach.

I'm more of a Mr. Plow guy, but I'll bite. I hate hollywood, unless you're really into touristy stuff or your friends are there, I can't advise spending any time there. Good bars and people watching I suppose. Santa Monny and V-Nice are lovely this time of year. I don't know exactly what you're looking to do so feel free to make requests, I'll just give you a couple good casual grub spots

Cha Cha Chicken - funky little caribbean counter restaurant, THE best jerk chicken in LA, period. Get the jerk wings or the jerk special or both. Shit is absurd.

The Misfit - great lunch spot, killer food, across the street from the beach and the santa monica pier.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #13
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

See a cirque du soleil show while in Vegas...best shows in the country, bar none.

There are lots of them...'Ka' and 'O' are generally accepted as the best ones.

I've seen Ka twice...it's amazing
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Central Park and Midtown are very walkable. The subway is the cheapest way around but it's also very easy to get a cab or Uber. You could easily spend a day just doing museums: The Metropolitan, Natural History, Fricke, MOMA, Guggenheim are all great. Times Square is fun to walk through but is a total tourist trap with crappy restaurants. The good thing though is that if you walk a few blocks East or West from there you wind up in some pretty cool neighborhoods with some fantastic restaurants and a lot of local color. Chelsea Market and the High Line are worth it to see how a former industrial wasteland can be transformed.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
I hate hollywood,

amen
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: