Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
PsychoBe
Basketball Genius

Default All These Barkley Posts Got To Stop - Malone,Hakeem,Robinson,Shaq, > Barkley

this is all revisionist history at its finest and it's a disgrace.
PsychoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
Uncle Drew
CHAMPS

Default Re: All These Barkley Posts Got To Stop - Malone,Hakeem,Robinson,Shaq, > Barkley

Probably according to someone who hasn't seen any of them play.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Im Still Ballin
WoooOOOOooooooooo!!!!!

Default Re: All These Barkley Posts Got To Stop - Malone,Hakeem,Robinson,Shaq, > Barkley

Oh no you didn't - Round Mound
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
AussieSteve
Dunking on everybody in the park

Sure, as long as you recognize the difference between greater career and better player.

There is no way that Malone or DRob were better players than peak Barkley. Would you seriously pick them over Chuck to win you a game of basketball?
AussieSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
Oh no you didn't - Round Mound

Is there a feature in vBulletin 3.5.4 for tagging a poster?

@RoundMound
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
warriorfan
The Bully

Defense
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan

Is that something Curry plays?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
warriorfan
The Bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesk
Is that something Curry plays?

Defense from your power forward and center positions is crucial while defense from the point guard is more of an afterthought

Regardless, Curry isn't the best defender but he is in a different stratosphere when compared to Barkley
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #9
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
Regardless, Curry isn't the best defender but he is in a different stratosphere when compared to Barkley

Would you put Barkley on Harden's level of defensive effort?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
warriorfan
The Bully

Quote:
Would you put Barkley on Harden's level of defensive effort?

Yes, but it is worse because he is bringing that level of defense to a frontcourt position

A team in most cases needs either rim protection or a mobile and athletic defender from their 4 to be successful
Old 09-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #11
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

He won an MVP in a really strong era for bigs.

He's clearly on their tier.

He's a better offensive player than all of those guys outside of Hakeem and Shaq

I have a low opinion of Malone compared to most. Great player, but he benefited a lot from stability and Stockton.
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
Im Still Ballin
WoooOOOOooooooooo!!!!!

Quote:
Is there a feature in vBulletin 3.5.4 for tagging a poster?

@RoundMound
I wish!
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

If you are claiming that people having Barkley over Malone in his prime is revisionist history...you just were not there at the time.

It wasnt especially rare to have people list Barkley as the best player other than Jordan even when Magic was still going strong.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
PsychoBe
Basketball Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
If you are claiming that people having Barkley over Malone in his prime is revisionist history...you just were not there at the time.

It wasnt especially rare to have people list Barkley as the best player other than Jordan even when Magic was still going strong.

So Barkley was better than Hakeem when he upset the Showtime Lakers? Was he better when he lost to Hakeem in the playoffs twice? Including two game 7's?

Was Barkley better then Malone when he won MVP over Jordan?

Was Barkley better than Robinson during his MVP year?

Was Barkley better than Shaq when he went to the Finals in 95'?

I'll answer all of those for you - he wasn't. All of these bigs peaked at different times, some even one year removed from one another. After 95 Barkley fell off a cliff and Malone's valuable longevity continued. Hakeem was always a force but had crackhead teammates then proceeded to embarrass "sir Charles".

The thing was, Barkley was considered "one" of the best players in the league.

Hakeem was the best player in the league post Jordan.

Robinson was an MVP athletic monster that ended up being injured and the Spurs purposefully tanked for Tim Duncan.

And Shaq came into the league as a transcendent force that would have won MVP the year he went to the finals if it wasn't for Hakeem.

The fact that you are singling out Barkley's prime/peak years when the other bigs hadn't even reached their prime or apex yet is very disingenuous.
PsychoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

What's disingenuous about it? When I said prime Barkley did you think I meant 1998? And when someone asks me how good a player is do you think I mean in their rookie season and five years after they fell off?

As a simple matter of fact a lot of perfectly respectable basketball people had Barkley ranked above Hakeem and Robinson and a great deal of them had him over Malone. It's not revisionist history. It's an absolute fact that 100% of the people alive at the time remember to be true.

I distinctly remember seeing stories about how Karl Malone was the most underrated player in the NBA in those days because nobody gave a shit he existed. As you went further on and Barkley started to fall off and Karl was still going strong a lot of people did exactly what you're talking about now and revised history.

When Chuck was at the top of his game a huge percentage of the basketball world had him over the people in question. Not shaq of course because he wasn't around yet. Not in prime form at least.

Charles is if anything considered less special than he was at the time because he never won. When everybody was young and upcoming and it was just a matter of who was the best and there was no legacy talk Barkley was right there with anybody behind Jordan.

And as another matter of fact I absolutely heard NBA coaches say he was the best player in the NBA. Including Jordan. Do I believe that was the case? No. But to act like such things were not said is revising history. I'm not the one doing that. I'm reporting the truth.

What you choose to do with it is your own decision but it can't be disputed that if you go back and read certain articles and watch certain interviews people did say such things. Is the kind of thing that people don't own up to ever thinking but it is what it is.

Revisionist history works many ways. And one of them is people trying to distance themselves from opinions that history doesn't agree with. In the heat of the moment when Charles was going to town on everybody a lot of people said and thought a lot of things that they wouldn't agree with now.

And it isn't that they can remember that time better now than they could at the time. It's having the power of hindsight and seeing the whole picture. When there was nothing to evaluate but basketball playing ability night after night Charles was if anything much more highly regarded then he is now.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: