Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-28-2017, 04:04 AM   #31
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Default Re: All These Barkley Posts Got To Stop - Malone,Hakeem,Robinson,Shaq, > Barkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Depends.
Hakeem was the overall better player by a slight margin.

Shaq was not better than Prime Hakeem or Prime Barkley. He was better after they where washed up 96-00-02 onwards

What's your top 15 look like?
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:20 AM   #32
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: All These Barkley Posts Got To Stop - Malone,Hakeem,Robinson,Shaq, > Barkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesk
What's your top 15 look like?

1-MJ
2-Wilt
3-Kareem
4-Hakeem
5-Shaq
6-Duncan
7-Bird
8-Magic
9-Lebron
10-Oscar
11-Dr J
12-Moses
13-Baylor
14-Barkley
15-Kobe

Last edited by Round Mound : 09-28-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #33
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
1-MJ
2-Wilt
3-Kareem
4-Hakeem
5-Shaq
6-Duncan
7-Bird
8-Magic
9-Lebron
10-Oscar
11-Dr J
12-Moses
13-Baylor
14-Barkley
15-Kobe

Interesting list. You have Hakeem higher than most people. No Russell. Why do you rank Barkley behind Baylor?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #34
julizaver
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBe

Was Barkley better then Malone when he won MVP over Jordan?

Hakeem was the best player in the league post Jordan.

He was considered better than Malone at the time - and posters above me, who watched NBA back than are right.

And Hakeem was considered the best after Jordan ONLY after Rockets won two chips after MJ first retirement, not before that.

And I mentioned considered, because this was mostly the public opinion about those players at the time.
julizaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #35
julizaver
Good High School Starter

Quote:
1-MJ
2-Wilt
3-Kareem
4-Hakeem
5-Shaq
6-Duncan
7-Bird
8-Magic
9-Lebron
10-Oscar
11-Dr J
12-Moses
13-Baylor
14-Barkley
15-Kobe

It's offtopic but in my list I will put Shaq before Hakeem, Duncan at 6 is too high, I got Magic, Bird and even Lebron above him. Not a knock on Duncan, but he is not in my Top 10.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #36
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by julizaver
It's offtopic but in my list I will put Shaq before Hakeem, Duncan at 6 is too high, I got Magic, Bird and even Lebron above him. Not a knock on Duncan, but he is not in my Top 10.

So you don't have Bill Russell in the top 15 either?

I forgot the other player not on the list, which would be KG. I hear that on RealGM, he's considered top 5 all-time.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #37
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

I was always a big Malone fan. Personally, I have him above Barkley, and I understand that I'm in the minority on this. My issue arises when it goes too far into an exaggeration. Saying Malone was the better player is not an indefensible point of view. Don't act like it's a landslide for either player.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #38
julizaver
Good High School Starter

Quote:
So you don't have Bill Russell in the top 15 either?

I forgot the other player not on the list, which would be KG. I hear that on RealGM, he's considered top 5 all-time.

I was comenting on the list of Round Mound, Russell definitely Top10 - also ahead of Duncan.

KG is not Top10 player with all the respect he is more of a Top20. I don't know the criteria they used in RealGM, but KG in Top5 is laughable.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #39
julizaver
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
I was always a big Malone fan. Personally, I have him above Barkley, and I understand that I'm in the minority on this. My issue arises when it goes too far into an exaggeration. Saying Malone was the better player is not an indefensible point of view. Don't act like it's a landslide for either player.

If you choose Malone over Barkley it is OK. There is no big difference and sometimes is more of a personal preference. In terms of career I would take Malone's over Barkley's for longevity and consistence.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #40
PsychoBe
Basketball Genius

This dude round mound has barkley over kobe and we're supposed to take his opinion seriously?

And you guys are being disrespectful to Malone as predicted. Cherry-picking Barkley's relatively short peak to the legendary longevity of the Mailman is asinine at best.

Karl Malone was known for taking care of his body, his physical fitness, and his ability to play well past his prime.

Barkley was known for the opposite.

The Admiral was also known for taking great care of his body and he peaked at a different time then Barkley did yet he was better for longer.

Hakeem and Shaq are just flat out better. Siting that everyone thought peak Barkley in from 88-93 was better then a pre-peak/Hakeem is like saying that 86' Bird was better than 86' Jordan. It's like....yea okay? So what? But going back to revisit Barkley's peak as "proof" that he's better than the aforementioned players is dishonest

Even still, Malone didn't get a lot of traction or notoriety until late in his career, neither did Robison or Ewing for that matter.
PsychoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #41
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

Quote:
Karl Malone was known for taking care of his body, his physical fitness, and his ability to play well past his prime.

Barkley was known for the opposite.

Which makes it even funnier that Malone never reached the level of Peak-Barkley
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #42
PsychoBe
Basketball Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
Which makes it even funnier that Malone never reached the level of Peak-Barkley

Now don't get me wrong here Barkley was a better player because he had a very explosive offensive skill-set that couldn't be stopped.

Malone played out of the pick-n-roll a lot, had great touch and a set shot but couldn't hit free throws nor impose his will like Barkley could.

However what set Malone apart was his longevity. That's what he can hang his hat on. You don't score the second most amount of points in NBA history without playing longer and still at a high level for years and years.

It's just intellectually dishonest to not give Malone the credit he deserves due to his longevity, which seems to be an underrated trait. Health and fitness is a very important skill just as much as rebounding, passing, or having a jumpshot.
PsychoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #43
sportjames23
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
What's disingenuous about it? When I said prime Barkley did you think I meant 1998? And when someone asks me how good a player is do you think I mean in their rookie season and five years after they fell off?

As a simple matter of fact a lot of perfectly respectable basketball people had Barkley ranked above Hakeem and Robinson and a great deal of them had him over Malone. It's not revisionist history. It's an absolute fact that 100% of the people alive at the time remember to be true.

I distinctly remember seeing stories about how Karl Malone was the most underrated player in the NBA in those days because nobody gave a shit he existed. As you went further on and Barkley started to fall off and Karl was still going strong a lot of people did exactly what you're talking about now and revised history.

When Chuck was at the top of his game a huge percentage of the basketball world had him over the people in question. Not shaq of course because he wasn't around yet. Not in prime form at least.

Charles is if anything considered less special than he was at the time because he never won. When everybody was young and upcoming and it was just a matter of who was the best and there was no legacy talk Barkley was right there with anybody behind Jordan.

And as another matter of fact I absolutely heard NBA coaches say he was the best player in the NBA. Including Jordan. Do I believe that was the case? No. But to act like such things were not said is revising history. I'm not the one doing that. I'm reporting the truth.

What you choose to do with it is your own decision but it can't be disputed that if you go back and read certain articles and watch certain interviews people did say such things. Is the kind of thing that people don't own up to ever thinking but it is what it is.

Revisionist history works many ways. And one of them is people trying to distance themselves from opinions that history doesn't agree with. In the heat of the moment when Charles was going to town on everybody a lot of people said and thought a lot of things that they wouldn't agree with now.

And it isn't that they can remember that time better now than they could at the time. It's having the power of hindsight and seeing the whole picture. When there was nothing to evaluate but basketball playing ability night after night Charles was if anything much more highly regarded then he is now.

Everything Kblaze has been saying here is absolutely true.
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #44
AussieSteve
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
This dude round mound has barkley over kobe and we're supposed to take his opinion seriously?

It's all about what you prioritize in a GOAT list. Clearly Kobe had the greater career and more accomplishments etc., but for few years, Barkley was better than Kobe ever was. So if you rate peak level more highly, then Barkley > Kobe. If you rate longevity and team accomplishments more highly then Kobe > Barkley.

It makes sense that Kobe fans rate rings, because Kobe was gifted three of them and it helps to prop him up.
AussieSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #45
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Interesting list. You have Hakeem higher than most people. No Russell. Why do you rank Barkley behind Baylor?

Baylor was the Barkley of the 60s. He was very advanced game wise compared to his peers. He revolutionaized the SF position.

Also i donīt mind rings or not i pick by level of play
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: