Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default FBI brings Armageddon to college basketball, and it's just the tip of the iceberg

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned already. When its all said and done, this scandal will turn the college basketball world upside down:

Quote:
The federal government dropped a bomb on college basketball Tuesday, indicting 10 men in a wide-spread fraud and bribery scheme involving top recruits, college programs, agents, financial planners and the shoe and apparel company Adidas.

It’s thorough. It’s ugly. It’s unprecedented.

“Fraud and corruption in the world of college basketball,” Joon H. Kim, Acting U.S. Attorney said at a news conference in Manhattan on Tuesday.

Assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and USC were all arrested and their programs are almost certainly in dire straights with both the Department of Justice (DOJ) and NCAA. The evidence here is based on an undercover FBI agent, wiretapped phones, recordings, written communication and financial transaction data. The feds win nearly every case for a reason. And the indicted haven’t even started flipping yet.

Also in the crossfire is so-called “University 2,” which in the complaints is described in a way that resembles the University of South Carolina and only the University of South Carolina – “a public research university located in South Carolina … with over 30,000 students …”

Then there is “University 6” which is described in a way that resembles the University of Louisville and only the University of Louisville, linking it to a $100,000 payout for one recruit and a potential $150,000 payout for another, all while on probation for a scandal involving using prostitutes to lure other recruits. “University 6” doesn’t appear to be in any legal trouble, yet, but the NCAA is another story.

The above alone consist of a national championship program with a Hall of Fame coach (Louisville), a Final Four team from 2017 (South Carolina), historic powerhouses (Arizona, Oklahoma State), as well as major schools (USC and Auburn) with a history of NCAA problems.

Death penalty. Postseason bans. Mass firings. It’s going to be a scorched earth, the bill coming due on a sport that has operated in the shadows of corruption for generations.

Yet for college hoops none of it represents the scariest part of the three complaints laid out by the DOJ on Tuesday. This, a statement by said undercover FBI agent, should terrify every coach in America:

“Because this affidavit is being submitted for the limited purpose of establishing probable cause, it does not include all of the facts that I have learned during the court of the investigation.”

Meaning, this is the tip of the iceberg.

“Our investigation is ongoing,” FBI assistant director Bill Sweeney warned. “And we are currently conducting interviews.”

“If you yourself engaged in these activities, I’d encourage you to call us,” said Kim, the Acting U.S. Attorney. “I think it’s better than us calling you.”

The operation that the feds laid out is college basketball recruiting 101. It began when a prominent financial planner from the sports world was ensnared in a securities fraud case and turned into a cooperating witness. He was able to bring an undercover FBI agent along as a supposed assistant for meetings, payouts, recorded conversations and so on.

Top basketball talent is worth more on the open market than the NCAA limit of scholarship, room, board and a small stipend. NCAA limits are an attempt to stop the wheels of capitalism, which like floodwater will simply readjust and go where it wants.

A top high school player can make a school and its coaches millions. His future potential can make shoe companies and others even more. His likely NBA earnings in this era of the one-and-done make him a coveted future client for agents, financial planners, even clothiers, real estate agents and car salesmen.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-brings-...184524346.html
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Im Still Ballin
THE BIG GUY

Default Re: FBI brings Armageddon to college basketball, and it's just the tip of the iceberg

Rick P!
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Re: FBI brings Armageddon to college basketball, and it's just the tip of the iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
Rick P!

He's done. So done.

UL has a press conference coming up soon.

Him and the AD Jurich should be gone. Probably the entire basketball staff, although they won't fire them today.

I'd be shocked if UL has a basketball program next season.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
Im Still Ballin
THE BIG GUY

Pitino goin' the Paterno!
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Ruk25
Learning to shoot layups

They all doing it. Every big D1 school. why don't they just pay the players as school employees and be done with the farce that is the ncaa. UK will get hit too, they get the top highschool ballers every year because.... u mean to tell me inner city kids dream to live in redneck kentucky? wasnt there a story about how the parents of anthony davis received like 200k outanowhere when he commited? same with duke kansas ect. Pay the players or get the owners to invest in the d-league.
Ruk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruk25
They all doing it. Every big D1 school. why don't they just pay the players as school employees and be done with the farce that is the ncaa. UK will get hit too, they get the top highschool ballers every year because.... u mean to tell me inner city kids dream to live in redneck kentucky? wasnt there a story about how the parents of anthony davis received like 200k outanowhere when he commited? same with duke kansas ect. Pay the players or get the owners to invest in the d-league.

Actually...

I think UK and Duke don't get touched. This Bowen kid that committed to Louisville... he had Michigan and Texas HIGH on his list up until December when both schools stopped recruiting him. Cal never came close to recruiting Bowen.

I don't think its any coincidence that all three of those schools just didn't want this guy. I think they knew. From AAU coaches I know in Louisville, including a former AAU coach who is now the athletic director at a local university, the coaches know who the dirty kids are. They know which ones are asking for money.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably 10 - 15 kids each class have their hand out, and I don't think its any secret who it is.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
CelticBaller
You mad?

Death penalty? Way to dramatize it

Anyways good shit, hopefully the G league rises up from this so we could actually develop the development system
CelticBaller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
Orlando Magic
NBA sixth man of the year

College basketball is a vastly inferior shitty product to the NBA. No ****s were given.
Orlando Magic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
warriorfan
The Bully

players getting compensated = corruption

ncaa, gotta love it
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
Death penalty? Way to dramatize it

Anyways good shit, hopefully the G league rises up from this so we could actually develop the development system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
Ruk25
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Actually...

I think UK and Duke don't get touched. This Bowen kid that committed to Louisville... he had Michigan and Texas HIGH on his list up until December when both schools stopped recruiting him. Cal never came close to recruiting Bowen.

I don't think its any coincidence that all three of those schools just didn't want this guy. I think they knew. From AAU coaches I know in Louisville, including a former AAU coach who is now the athletic director at a local university, the coaches know who the dirty kids are. They know which ones are asking for money.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably 10 - 15 kids each class have their hand out, and I don't think its any secret who it is.
I wasnt talking about this case. Like u said this is only the tip^of the iceberg. facing prison time those charrged will start signing and the snowball effect. Again if u think the same shit isnt happening at UK and duke or any other big school ur retarded .
Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #12
Ruk25
Learning to shoot layups

https://www.sbnation.com/2010/8/4/16...200000-dollars
Old 09-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
I wasnt talking about this case. Like u said this is only the tip^of the iceberg. facing prison time those charrged will start signing and the snowball effect. Again if u think the same shit isnt happening at UK and duke or any other big school ur retarded .

Neither was I.

I can point to a dozen basketball recruits that higher end schools suddenly stopped recruiting. Its no secret when it happens, but its always been a secret why it happens, until now.

I absolutely do not think THIS sort of thing is happening at UK or Duke. They simply do not need to pay players, or recruit players who are wanting to be paid. They just don't. Think about it... this Bowen kid took 100k, and now he's ineligible to play college basketball, which may cost him millions down the road. Not every kid is that dumb.

I have no doubt that high profile athletes at UK and Duke probably get a lot of perks, but cash isn't one of them. UK had to self-report after students got free sandwiches at a local Lexington restaurant. The microscope of the NCAA has been on them ever since Cal began coaching there, and not once had the NCAA ever even hinted at the idea that Cal has done something illegal. He simply doesn't need to.

But at schools like Texas? Okie State? Miss St.? Auburn? USC, UCLA? Hell, even Zona hasn't really been all that relevant over the past 10 years.

Like I said, I think there are certain kids who have their hands out, and I believe every coach knows who those kids are.

What I am really interested to see, is how deep this practice goes into the AAU circuit. The shoe companies sponsor dozens of AAU teams all over the country. I know this just doesn't start once they become eligible for college.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:

And not a shred of evidence it ever happened.

Not one.

Not one bank transaction. Not one phone call. Not one meeting. Nothing.

Quote:
Once upon a time, there was this thing called journalism ... If someone had actual proof a high school recruit had been bought, wouldn't that reporter want to place said info in the first few graffs? - Mike Decourcy

You can't just throw out rumors and accusations without any facts. If that were the case, I'd be writing them all day long. My guess is that part of the Chicago Sun-Times story will be removed within the hour. - Jeff Goodman

Any semblance of evidence, maybe you've got something. But there was never anything ever shown, so I don't know how 'reliable' that source really is.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: