Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
SunsN07BookIt
Good High School Starter

Default Reason ABC cancelled 2nd biggest show. Don't want a "likeable conservative character"

...in this climate.

Not only was it their 2nd biggest show, it allowed ABC to capture that Friday night time slot for the first time in 15 years.

Quote:
ABCs cancellation of Last Man Standing is still a sore spot with its star, Tim Allen, who vented about the decision on Norm Macdonald Live. “It was handled very badly,” he said, noting how the network didn’t let the team know about the boot “until late June.” Allen, a conservative who attended the inauguration of President Donald Trump, believes it comes back to politics.

“There is nothing more dangerous to me, especially in this climate, than a funny, likable conservative,” Allen told Macdonald. “That was the most dangerous thing because he is mitigated on the show by a family of all women who had a difference of opinions, but [Mike Baxter] was a likable guy and a principled guy, just about work and ethics and all this stuff. I think there’s nothing more dangerous right now than a likable conservative character.”

The comedian still doesn’t know why Last Man Standing was canceled. He had high hopes for his character to be the equivalent of All in the Family‘s Archie Bunker, who “pushed boundaries,” as he said.

The decision to cancel the show came 2 months after Tim Allen publicly said this

Quote:
“You’ve gotta be real careful around here,” he said. “You get beat up if don’t believe what everybody believes. … This is like ’30s Germany. I don’t know what happened. If you’re not part of the group, ‘You know what we believe is right,’ I go, ‘Well, I might have a problem with that.'”
SunsN07BookIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
warriorfan
The Bully

Default Re: Reason ABC cancelled 2nd biggest show. Don't want a "likeable conservative character"

I laughed a little at the "work and ethics and all that stuff"
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Default Re: Reason ABC cancelled 2nd biggest show. Don't want a "likeable conservative character"

I'm iffy on Tim Allen being likable but Allen being funny? LMAO
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!

i actually watched a handful of this shit show to get my home improvement fix in, as well as to see that middle daughter....

the shows conservative Tim but surrounded by liberal family members who constantly pissed on his views and vice versa. so the whole america not wanting a "likable conservative character" doesnt seem like the main issue when you have other characters on the show relentlessly argue against his beliefs

but then again, this is network tv, so bitch ass execs are gonna bitch ass.
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
Lakers Legend#32
Good college starter

Another whining conservative playing the victim card.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levity
i actually watched a handful of this shit show to get my home improvement fix in, as well as to see that middle daughter....

the shows conservative Tim but surrounded by liberal family members who constantly pissed on his views and vice versa. so the whole america not wanting a "likable conservative character" doesnt seem like the main issue when you have other characters on the show relentlessly argue against his beliefs

but then again, this is network tv, so bitch ass execs are gonna bitch ass.

Sounds more like nobody wants to watch a sitcom that revolves around a family having political fights. That shit hits way to close to home an nobody wants their sitcom to mirror all the things they want to escape from.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Sounds more like nobody wants to watch a sitcom that revolves around a family having political fights. That shit hits way to close to home an nobody wants their sitcom to mirror all the things they want to escape from.

No it doesn't.

Quote:
The cancellation came as a shock for many fans considering the show's high ratings. Deadline reports the sitcom was the network's second-highest comedy this season and averaged 8.1 million viewers, just behind "Modern Family," which averaged 8.7 million viewers this season and was recently renewed for two more seasons.May 12, 2017
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
SunsN07BookIt
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

I believe McGyver ticked slightly ahead of Last Man Standing in total viewership for the last season. Until that time LMS had dominated. But LMS completely dominated McGyver in the sponsor coveted 18-49 demographic(1.5 vs 1.2) and was considered the most successful show in it's time slot. It also kicked off a Friday night that has allowed ABC to dominate since LMS began.
SunsN07BookIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Meh, oh well don't care. Tim Allen can eat a dick.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Ben Simmons
Decent college freshman

Yeah, that's definitely why it was canceled.
Ben Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
MrFonzworth
Sam "The Shooter" Hyde

Conservatives and the Alt-Right are the funniest people alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbllxgxgQVQ

Shame The Left constantly tries to shut them down for their political views.
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #12
tpols
we already won

Isn't Tim Allen a convicted felon lol
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #13
r15mohd
College star

show was on a 6yr run, longer than most ever last
it was not owned by ABC and would make no money off reruns
had a star studded (high payroll) cast
viewership wasnt anything spectacular

business is business, seems ABC chose not to renew while in a positive status rather than gambling and going negative. bad choice?
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #14
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15mohd
show was on a 6yr run, longer than most ever last
it was not owned by ABC and would make no money off reruns
had a star studded (high payroll) cast
viewership wasnt anything spectacular

business is business, seems ABC chose not to renew while in a positive status rather than gambling and going negative. bad choice?

But it was. You all keep pretending like that had anything to do with it, when everything thats been posted says the complete opposite.

I dont understand why this keeps being repeated.

Makes your case stronger, I guess?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
Orlando Magic
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
But it was. You all keep pretending like that had anything to do with it, when everything thats been posted says the complete opposite.

I dont understand why this keeps being repeated.

Makes your case stronger, I guess?

Because they're morons.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: