Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
shlver
코비=GOAT

Default Harmless joke or a sign of mental instability?

Quote:
The University of Nevada, Reno’s, Police Services is launching an investigation after an officer was captured on body camera footage Sunday joking with a black male student that he is “just going to shoot him if things go sideways.”

The incident occurred after a group of students were pulled over by university officers in front of the Lawlor Events Center around 1 a.m. After engaging in conversation, an officer made the comment to graduate student Kevin McReynolds.
Quote:
“What offended me the most is the fact that yesterday [Monday, Sept. 25] I didn’t get a call from anyone, I reached out to the police in the morning, they kind of blew it off,” McReynolds said. “I called Title IX in the morning, they blew it off. […] I didn’t feel the university took the issue seriously until the video came out. I think that’s where the issue lies.”

In a statement released Wednesday, four days after the incident, Assistant Vice President and Director of Police Services Adam Garcia said one officer involved in the incident has been placed on administrative leave and removed from campus, pending an investigation by the University Police Services and the Title IX office.
http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2017...-from-officer/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGaj6P5KfY8

Happened at my old university. In my opinion, any person who lacks the cognizance of recent events to make these kinds of comments, even in a joking manner, should not be in any kind of positional authority that may result in the death of another person. Thoughts?
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Re: Harmless joke or a sign of mental instability?

I wonder, if he had said this to a white kid, whether or not we'd have ever heard about it.

You think?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
highwhey
I DREW THE D1CKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
I wonder, if he had said this to a white kid, whether or not we'd have ever heard about it.

You think?
Yes. Next one.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:

You think?
That's a nonstarter. Maybe, maybe not. How someone will take the joke is completely subjective.

What I'm trying to discuss is the inability of the officer to glean what was acceptable or not acceptable to say during the conversation. In a comedian's case, this wouldn't be bad, but should a cop have situational awareness to not say these kinds of things when he's working?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
warriorfan
The Bully

stfu you whiny liberals

Get a hobby
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
stfu you whiny liberals

Get a hobby
I'm one of the conservatives on this site. Seeing this kind of comment just makes me laugh because no thought process goes into it, just divisive ignorance.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
I'm one of the conservatives on this site. Seeing this kind of comment just makes me laugh because no thought process goes into it, just divisive ignorance.

how is that divisive? are you retarded? Thats a uniting, joking comment, most likely. he tried to make the black guy laugh.

its still a bad joke
ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
That's a nonstarter. Maybe, maybe not. How someone will take the joke is completely subjective.

What I'm trying to discuss is the inability of the officer to glean what was acceptable or not acceptable to say during the conversation. In a comedian's case, this wouldn't be bad, but should a cop have situational awareness to not say these kinds of things when he's working?

Eh... its tricky. On the one hand, you want an officer to be personable. Most people (besides those who easily get triggered) would understand its a joke, so the officer was simply behaving like a normal human being.

On the other hand, no, you shouldn't joke about it.

We were never really given any training on what we were or were not allowed to say in normal conversation. It was basically determined on a case by case basis. You hear a lot of officers cuss around younger people because it makes them seem more normal, and not robots.

My point is, if he said it to a white guy, they'd have just laughed and we would have never heard about this. This only getting coverage because a black dude complained.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
warriorfan
The Bully

Quote:

What ever you label yourself as, get a hobby. No one wants to hear your whiny bullshit and inane autistic rants about how you are the supposed arbiter of acceptable humor

You suck
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
r15mohd
College star

Quote:
Eh... its tricky. On the one hand, you want an officer to be personable. Most people (besides those who easily get triggered) would understand its a joke, so the officer was simply behaving like a normal human being.

On the other hand, no, you shouldn't joke about it.

We were never really given any training on what we were or were not allowed to say in normal conversation. It was basically determined on a case by case basis. You hear a lot of officers cuss around younger people because it makes them seem more normal, and not robots.

My point is, if he said it to a white guy, they'd have just laughed and we would have never heard about this. This only getting coverage because a black dude complained.

would he have said it to a white guy? another factor in it
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15mohd
would he have said it to a white guy? another factor in it

Of course. Cops are normal people, too. Do you make jokes? So do they.

Unless you make the type of jokes that don't offend anyone, which is pretty rare.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff

Quote:

You think?

I wonder if the cop says this to every student and my Blacks are just getting offended again
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
I wonder if the cop says this to every student and my Blacks are just getting offended again

I know that the language on college campuses is far more... loose I guess... among officers than ones who work on the streets.

Its simply a 'blending in' sort of thing. Obviously an officer dealing with an older woman is going to speak in a different language than one dealing with some college kids.

But the idea is the same... you want to be personable, and seem 'normal'. Thus, why he said 'fuck', which is actually pretty common when talking to college kids. You want to be the authority, but you don't want them to see you as an authority, unless of course you're in deep shit. Kinda like a teacher.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2017...-from-officer/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGaj6P5KfY8

Happened at my old university. In my opinion, any person who lacks the cognizance of recent events to make these kinds of comments, even in a joking manner, should not be in any kind of positional authority that may result in the death of another person. Thoughts?
Surely the comment was a joke that indicates he was cognizant of recent events, thought them stupid, and made a joke about them?

Heard much worse things from jaded doctors tbh.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

From the OP

Quote:
“What offended me the most is the fact that yesterday [Monday, Sept. 25] I didn’t get a call from anyone, I reached out to the police in the morning, they kind of blew it off,” McReynolds said. “I called Title IX in the morning, they blew it off. […] I didn’t feel the university took the issue seriously until the video came out. I think that’s where the issue lies.”

This should be the point of contention. ^^ The not giving a shit about a civilian perspective until confronted with hard evidence.

If the commanding officer couldn't sit this officer down and tell him in no uncertain terms that he shouldn't just leave the joking to his partner if he doesn't have the tact and awareness to know what's over the line... that's a systemic problem. That officer in question probably should have apologized to the student in question even if he was compelled to do so by the department or the University. How hard would that be to humble himself for a couple minutes out of his day?

I don't think the officer should lose his job over this one incident.

Facebook people need to lighten up and stop going after someone else's job for being human... making minor mistakes or just sucking at communication
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: