Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #16
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Re: Harmless joke or a sign of mental instability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
From the OP

This should be the point of contention. ^^ The not giving a shit about a civilian perspective until confronted with hard evidence.

If the commanding officer couldn't sit this officer down and tell him in no uncertain terms that he shouldn't just leave the joking to his partner if he doesn't have the tact and awareness to know what's over the line... that's a systemic problem. That officer in question probably should have apologized to the student in question even if he was compelled to do so by the department or the University. How hard would that be to humble himself for a couple minutes out of his day?

I don't think the officer should lose his job over this one incident.

Facebook people need to lighten up and stop going after someone else's job for being human... making minor mistakes or just sucking at communication

Knowing what I know from my buddy who coaches a mock trial team, ANY time something gets mentioned to Title IX compliance officers, its a huge ****ing deal. He dealt with them on more than one occasion because of one specific female who had a desire to claim everything was sexist.

I believe the PD may have blew him off, but I have a very hard time believing those tasked with enforcing Title IX regulations blew him off. That much seems like a flat out lie.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #17
r15mohd
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Of course. Cops are normal people, too. Do you make jokes? So do they.

Unless you make the type of jokes that don't offend anyone, which is pretty rare.

see that's the issue...knowing the tension involved of similar situations and why we are where we are today, the cop should not have made the joke. who cares the mood or intention, but the cop should have known better than to be loose with his words (at all times), especially indicating the student would be shot of all remarks to make, really

what good does that rhetoric do from the cops angle...why should the student have to determine whether the cop is joking or not in potentially ending his life, by him saying he would shoot him?

in most cases, especially for those younger, they are already on edge for talking to a cop as they feel threatened or the very least, a peasant to some superiority. the cop choosing to be loose with those idiotic remarks just makes matters worse IMO as the student could have flipped in that regard.

do you take someone threatening to shoot/kill you lightly? cop or not, joke or not...that's never an accepted for me. maybe you allow that, but to every joke there is some truth so I myself am on guard if those words are said.
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #18
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15mohd
see that's the issue...knowing the tension involved of similar situations and why we are where we are today, the cop should not have made the joke. who cares the mood or intention, but the cop should have known better than to be loose with his words (at all times), especially indicating the student would be shot of all remarks to make, really

what good does that rhetoric do from the cops angle...why should the student have to determine whether the cop is joking or not in potentially ending his life, by him saying he would shoot him?
It makes them relax, and talkative. That's how you get information.

Quote:
in most cases, especially for those younger, they are already on edge for talking to a cop as they feel threatened or the very least, a peasant to some superiority. the cop choosing to be loose with those idiotic remarks just makes matters worse IMO as the student could have flipped in that regard.

No, thats simply what you believe. I've been on UK's campus plenty of times, and college kids love the campus police there. So no, not in most cases. I've been to UL football games, Purdue football games, IU football games, and I've never seen kids shy away from cops. Most try to get them to drink beer with them.

Quote:
do you take someone threatening to shoot/kill you lightly? cop or not, joke or not...that's never an accepted for me. maybe you allow that, but to every joke there is some truth so I myself am on guard if those words are said.
I told my girlfriend I was going to 'shoot her in her ****ing face' (exact quote) last night because she was playing A-Rod against me.

So yes.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #19
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
I wonder, if he had said this to a white kid, whether or not we'd have ever heard about it.

You think?
Yes I do...

Quote:
It was a mere traffic stop, but the driver was clearly nervous — telling the police officer that she was worried that if she moved her hands, she would be shot.

Then the cop, Greg Abbott, tried to assure her: “But you’re not black. Remember, we only shoot black people. Yeah, we only kill black people, right?”

The shocking words by the Cobb County, Georgia, police officer — caught on dash-cam video during a DUI stop — have led the department to open an internal investigation into the incident, which happened last year.

Cobb County Police Chief Mike Register told WSB-TV in Atlanta, which obtained the video: “The statements was made by an individual, and they’re not indicative of the values and the facts that surround the Cobb County Police Department and this county in general.”

On Thursday, the police chief confirmed Abbott will be fired. “I don’t know what is in his heart, but I know what came out of his mouth,” Register said. “We recommend that he be terminated and we are moving forward on that.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...b-county-video

With the supercharged atmosphere going on in many parts of the country, people would prefer cops not be tone deaf comedians.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #20
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
Yes I do...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...b-county-video

With the supercharged atmosphere going on in many parts of the country, people would prefer cops not be tone deaf comedians.

He literally said the words 'we only shoot black people'.

That's a little different than saying 'I'm just going to shoot him if things go sideways' after making a joke about fighting.

You gonna pretend these two instances are the same? **** outta here, scrub.

To be fair, I don't think either joke would be taken in the wrong way by the vast majority of the population, but you've got people who are 'trigger happy', and eagerly awaiting to be triggered, so ya know.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #21
r15mohd
College star

Quote:
It makes them relax, and talkative. That's how you get information.

at trying to defend 'i'm going to shoot you if things go sideways' as a way to make someone relax and get info

Quote:
No, thats simply what you believe. I've been on UK's campus plenty of times, and college kids love the campus police there. So no, not in most cases. I've been to UL football games, Purdue football games, IU football games, and I've never seen kids shy away from cops. Most try to get them to drink beer with them.

another at this comparison - it's apples to oranges. are you really going to compare your visits during normal operating times and a game setting where there's little to no suspicion for being pulled over versus a 1am stop by the police

you're completely falling off

Quote:
I told my girlfriend I was going to 'shoot her in her ****ing face' (exact quote) last night because she was playing A-Rod against me.

So yes.

i guess you wanted a at all your rebuttals. this is just another apples to oranges comparison. you're indicating you threatening (likely play threatening) your GF is the same as a stranger (regardless if he's a cop or not) threatening to shoot a person

so much FAIL UK2K...becoming a trend for you
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:55 AM   #22
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
He literally said the words 'we only shoot black people'.

That's a little different than saying 'I'm just going to shoot him if things go sideways' after making a joke about fighting.

You gonna pretend these two instances are the same? **** outta here, scrub.

To be fair, I don't think either joke would be taken in the wrong way by the vast majority of the population, but you've got people who are 'trigger happy', and eagerly awaiting to be triggered, so ya know.
Some cops are trigger happy, like the ones who shot Castille and that 12 year old boy in OH. When talking to a cop, I'm respectful, I don't want some goofball with a badge and a gun cracking jokes about maybe shooting me, you fukking idiot. GTFOH

Act professional, is that too much to ask?
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #23
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
i guess you wanted a at all your rebuttals. this is just another apples to oranges comparison. you're indicating you threatening (likely play threatening) your GF is the same as a stranger (regardless if he's a cop or not) threatening to shoot a person

so much FAIL UK2K...becoming a trend for you

You asked if I joke about shooting people.

Yes, I do.

How is that my fail? You asked a stupid ass question, and I gave you an answer, and now I failed as you talk your way out of it...

K.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #24
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Eh... its tricky. On the one hand, you want an officer to be personable. Most people (besides those who easily get triggered) would understand its a joke, so the officer was simply behaving like a normal human being.

On the other hand, no, you shouldn't joke about it.

We were never really given any training on what we were or were not allowed to say in normal conversation. It was basically determined on a case by case basis. You hear a lot of officers cuss around younger people because it makes them seem more normal, and not robots.

My point is, if he said it to a white guy, they'd have just laughed and we would have never heard about this. This only getting coverage because a black dude complained.

Yeah, totally normal for a cop to joke about killing someone he just pulled over. There is no way that he could have predicted that would be a bad thing say and might offend/frighten someone. In fact, I carry a gun on my hip at the office and joke about killing people in the hall all the time.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #25
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Yeah, totally normal for a cop to joke about killing someone he just pulled over. There is no way that he could have predicted that would be a bad thing say and might offend/frighten someone. In fact, I carry a gun on my hip at the office and joke about killing people in the hall all the time.

Most in this country know that 'cops killing people' isn't a nationwide epidemic like some of the bigger morons in this country believe.

Let me guess, the kids laughed because they were nervous, right? I'll just go ahead and throw that excuse out there before one of you all actually try to use it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: