Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #661
dazzer87
College star

Default Re: Active shooter(s) at Mandalay Bay hotel in Vegas

People still think hes was the only shooter.....?
dazzer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #662
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
also, turns out this guy has been collecting guns for decades
there goes my theory he was trying to pretend to be a gun nut in order to create gun regulations from this...

now I'm wondering if him being a liberal is fake news...most libs aren't gun collectors

It does look like 33 of his guns were purchased within the past year though...I bet that is when he started taking SSRIs
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #663
UK2K
NBA Legend

Don't know where the original photo of the shooter is that I posted, but now I'm seeing photos online that appear to show two pools of blood.

Did mine show the same thing? Or nah?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #664
r15mohd
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Don't know where the original photo of the shooter is that I posted, but now I'm seeing photos online that appear to show two pools of blood.

Did mine show the same thing? Or nah?

http://breaking911.com/just-extremel...ephen-paddock/
r15mohd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #665
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
jeezus ****in christ this guy

Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #666
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
I'm not saying an old man couldn't do it, but firing, even at the range, can be exhausting if you're shooting over 100 rounds. It really can be. I just know that during range time, when we needed to expend ammo (because the armory wouldn't take it back), we had to do ammo dumps at the end where basically everyone loaded up every available magazine they had, got on line, and fired away until all the bullets were gone. The most I ever fired off at one time was probably 8-9 mags or so (on semi-mind you), and it really is tiring to hold a rifle that long while trying to aim and doing mag changes.

There's a reason the military doesn't issue fully automatic rifles... They suck. They're not meant for aiming. The only full auto rifles we have in the military are for fire superiority and suppression. When I fired at someone, I didn't fire 10 rounds, I fired 10 rounds every 3-4 seconds. I was basically trying to get the enemy to keep their heads down, and really, at that rate, you are more guessing about where your bullets are going to hit and not really aiming. You fire off a burst, then adjust, and rinse and repeat until you're on target, then let loose.

The LVPD said the shooting went on for 9 minutes. He hit at least 60, and probably more like 300-400 or so (assuming 100 people got hurt trying to run). That's pretty good accuracy, even with the sights he had on those weapons.

Do you all see 2,000 casings there? I see MAYBE 200.

I agree with your point about the physical strain of shooting for so long and if you go back you can see that in my initial post in this thread I guessed there were two shooters from listening to the gun shots. So I am on the fence about the number of shooters to say the least.

Having said that; I disagree with you on him firing anything close to 2000 rounds, more like around 500 at max - to be clear my calculations are based on each of his magz holding 30 rounds. Also, that pic you posted doesn't tell the whole story, the angle is wrong and what we see is not anywhere close to his shooting spots which is where most of the casings naturally gather.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #667
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by r15mohd

Two DISTINCT puddles of blood.

Anyone else find that odd?

Does anyone find it odd there appears to be blood on the front of his shirt? Also, does it not appear like someone had a hold of the front of his shirt (notice how its ruffled)?

Maybe its just me. Brain is trying to analyze.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #668
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

we know 500 were injured...we don't know how many of those were injured via gunshot

I'm sure lots were injured from being trampled on and what not...

500 shots total seems right to me though...he hit and killed 59...then maybe shot and injured an additional 200...then maybe 250 of his shots missed...250 people were injured from being run over.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #669
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
I agree with your point about the physical strain of shooting for so long and if you go back you can see that in my initial post in this thread I guessed there were two shooters from listening to the gun shots. So I am on the fence about the number of shooters to say the least.

Having said that; I disagree with you on him firing anything close to 2000 rounds, more like around 500 at max - to be clear my calculations are based on each of his magz holding 30 rounds. Also, that pic you posted doesn't tell the whole story, the angle is wrong and what we see is not anywhere close to his shooting spots which is where most of the casings naturally gather.

500 max? He hit at least 60, but closer to 300-400. You think from 300 yards away at an elevation of 300 feet shooting in the dark, he was able to have almost a 100% hit rate?

Yeah, I don't think so. Maybe but... yeah I don't think so.

Also, most of the cases wouldn't 'gather' anywhere unless he was in a seated position. Standing, brass would have been all over the room.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #670
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
500 max? He hit at least 60, but closer to 300-400. You think from 300 yards away at an elevation of 300 feet shooting in the dark, he was able to have almost a 100% hit rate?

Yeah, I don't think so. Maybe but... yeah I don't think so.
I already discussed this point with you, beside the fact that some were injured during the stampede, I'm guessing a lot of bullets hit multiple targets. We are talking about a crowd of 22000 people cramped together, first of all you don't need to be a great shot, second of all that also means a lot of exit wounds and bullets hurting more than one target. Lastly, the elevation actually helps here because he held the high ground.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #671
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
I already discussed this point with you, beside the fact that some were injured during the stampede, I'm guessing a lot of bullets hit multiple targets. We are talking about a crowd of 22000 people cramped together, first of all you don't need to be a great shot, second of all that also means a lot of exit wounds and bullets hurting more than one target. Lastly, the elevation actually helps here because he held the high ground.

No, you absolutely need to be a great shot, especially if you want to control the rifle firing at the rate he was firing. The barrel is going to have massive climb to it unless it is in a bipod. If he was using a bump stock without a rifle being on a bipod, that thing would be all over the place and nearly impossible to control.

At 30 yards, this guy was only able to hit the target 27/30 times using an AK with a bump stock, and he's an instructor. Not to mention, look at that spread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5AyjpiPhsU

30 yards. Not 300 and elevated 300 feet hanging out a hotel window in Vegas. At 30 yards.

And yes, the elevation makes aiming a bit easier, but at that height (in Vegas, no less), you're talking serious windage.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #672
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

He was shooting into a gianorous crowd...a music concert of thousands

Anyone could hit

Basically just shooting the ground
Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #673
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
No, you absolutely need to be a great shot, especially if you want to control the rifle firing at the rate he was firing. The barrel is going to have massive climb to it unless it is in a bipod. If he was using a bump stock without a rifle being on a bipod, that thing would be all over the place and nearly impossible to control.

At 30 yards, this guy was only able to hit the target 27/30 times using an AK with a bump stock, and he's an instructor. Not to mention, look at that spread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5AyjpiPhsU

30 yards. Not 300 and elevated 300 feet hanging out a hotel window in Vegas. At 30 yards.

And yes, the elevation makes aiming a bit easier, but at that height (in Vegas, no less), you're talking serious windage.
Great shot =/= competent
Alas, if you want to insist on your points then me repeating that there were 22000 people cramped together making it easier for him would also be obstinateness.

At the end of the day, I don't know how physically fit the dude was, or how good of a shot he was; none of us know if he had training. But dude had retired two years ago with a lot of money and had a plane and a pilot licence; so, it is not so far fetched to think he had spent some time improving his gunmanship.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #674
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
Well if he wasn't continuously shooting then it makes it even more far fetched that he was able to kill 60 and wound 500 in that short of time with improper technique and no military background.

How do you know he had improper technique?
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #675
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

This is a chaotic messy event...not everything is going to be picture perfect. Like him laying in one perfect puddle of blood next to exact amounts of shells right where you would expect, etc

To me, if things look 'OFF' that points to it NOT being staged.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: