Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
sbw19
Decent college freshman

Default More difficult to do: three-peating or making the finals 10 straight?

We all know which feat is more relevant. Not what I'm asking. Just the degree of difficulty. Which is more difficult? Honest question.

Let me put it this way: 3x scoring champ in 3 years vs 10 seasons of averaging 27ppg in each season. Clearly 1st is more prestigious (no awards for averaging 27ppg/season,) but is it necessarily more difficult? (not really a direct analogy to titles/finals, only illustrating my point.)

Fire away.
sbw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Orlando Magic
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: More difficult to do: three-peating or making the finals 10 straight?

They're both pretty hard but I would say 10 straight... the amount of consistency to get there that many times in a row is ridiculous.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: More difficult to do: three-peating or making the finals 10 straight?

A great team getting two or three breaks can win three in a row. being one of the last two standing 10 years straight is pretty unlikely.

You need a weak conference and a fairly unlikely string of health. Injuries along make 10 in a row more unlikely. How many teams are healthy going into the playoffs 10 years straight?
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Zeppelin
I usually hit open layups

The problem with evaluating the value of finals appearances is that you are greatly aided by a weak conference.

For example, it is obvious to all and sundry that Lebron James would never even have made three consecutive finals had he played in the West.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
scm5
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
The problem with evaluating the value of finals appearances is that you are greatly aided by a weak conference.

For example, it is obvious to all and sundry that Lebron James would never even have made three consecutive finals had he played in the West.

It's not even debatable
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Kawhi m8
0/8

Certainly not making the finals in a watered down conference, whilst colluding a couple of times and constantly bringing in more stars.

3 peating - TWICE - on the other hand, is just insane.
And without colluding and running away when the going gets tough, is just the icing on the cake.

Tbh

/thread.
Kawhi m8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
tanibanana
Decent playground baller

For LeBron critics this would be a hard truth to accept. 10 straight is crazy feat no matter the story behind it. But it would have been really nicer had the East been more tougher the last 5-years or so.
tanibanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Orlando Magic
NBA sixth man of the year

This thread isn't about LeBron, fellas...

No way he makes 10 straight. Don't believe it. I'll be surprised if he goes 9 tbh... 8, I wouldn't be.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
leBron Bieber
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin

Why not ? He'd be on a western team which means his teams would be way better too .. the only thing that would be different is he'd be undefeated in the finals 🤦*♂️
leBron Bieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
MrFonzworth
Sam "The Shooter" Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by leBron Bieber
Why not ? He'd be on a western team which means his teams would be way better too .. the only thing that would be different is he'd be undefeated in the finals 🤦*♂️
Good point leBron Bieber.
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
kurple
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
This thread isn't about LeBron, fellas...

No way he makes 10 straight. Don't believe it. I'll be surprised if he goes 9 tbh... 8, I wouldn't be.
easpecially if he plans on going west
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #12
soots
Decent playground baller

Threepeating vs who?

10 straight against who?

lettuce beef reality. Leastern is pretty bad.
soots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #13
Naero
The Great Wall of Text

In a vacuum, making the finals ten-consecutive years is more impressive on-paper.

Three-peat dynasties usually entail getting over a greater hump in the end with the finals opponent—they're usually the most daunting opponent; and even if they aren't, the team assuredly already broke a sweat against a gauntlet of veritable title-contenders before then—but the much more arduous marathon is making the finals ten-consecutive years. It entails winning at least 30 playoffs series within those 10 years, and even more uphill to accomplishing it is talent retention; a multitude of changes can happen to disform that dynastic roster; your talent can corrode with age, there can be coaching changeovers, essential players may defect away in free agency, championship-reigning teams may not be hungry enough to return to the finals in the afterglow of their championship, and so on and so forth.

You may need to overcome loftier hurdles to three-peat in the end, but you're at least bound to be retentive of that championship-contention team for those years; it's much more implausible for a decade-long finals streak, on the other hand. The Warriors may as well three-peat before our own eyes by 2019, and there were multiple narrowly squandered three-peats in recent years—Warriors and Lakers where 2016 and 2008 were narrowly the weak links, for example—but what player, let alone team, has been even close to a decade-long finals hegemony? The 1980s Lakers were the closest, and it took a western conference almost as historically vapid as this decade's eastern conference for them to do so.
Naero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #14
dankok8
Local High School Star

Celtics got to 10 straight finals from 1957 to 1966. Of course it doesn't hurt that they only lost one of them in 1958 and in that one Bill Russell was injured.
dankok8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
PickernRoller
A New Dynasty Begins!

3-peating and it's not close.
PickernRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: