Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Default The Black Hand

Quote:
Beginning in the summer of 1903, an insidious crime wave filled New York City, and then the entire country, with fear. The children of Italian immigrants were kidnapped, and dozens of innocent victims were gunned down. Bombs tore apart tenement buildings. Judges, senators, Rockefellers, and society matrons were threatened with gruesome deaths. The perpetrators seemed both omnipresent and invisible. Their only calling card: the symbol of a black hand. The crimes whipped up the slavering tabloid press and heated ethnic tensions to the boiling point. Standing between the American public and the Black Hand’s lawlessness was Joseph Petrosino. Dubbed the “Italian Sherlock Holmes,” he was a famously dogged and ingenious detective, and a master of disguise. As the crimes grew ever more bizarre and the Black Hand’s activities spread far beyond New York’s borders, Petrosino and the all-Italian police squad he assembled raced to capture members of the secret criminal society before the country’s anti-immigrant tremors exploded into catastrophe. Petrosino’s quest to root out the source of the Black Hand’s power would take him all the way to Sicily—but at a terrible cost.

Looks like Leonardo will be taking on the Illuminati in his next film.

Also has a movie with Jonah Hill coming out... The Ballad of Richard Jewell

Quote:
Richard Allensworth Jewell (born Richard White;[1] December 17, 1962 – August 29, 2007) was an American police officer and security guard. While working as a security guard for AT&T, he became known in connection with the Centennial Olympic Park bombing at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia.[2] Discovering a backpack filled with three pipe bombs on the park grounds, Jewell alerted police and helped to evacuate the area before the bomb exploded, saving many people from injury or death. Initially hailed by the media as a hero, Jewell was later considered a suspect. Jewell's case is considered an example of the damage that can be done by reporting based on unreliable or incomplete information.

Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: The Black Hand

The Richard Jewel thing is interesting. Eastwood is a great director.

Not enough info on The Black Hand stuff yet. I'd rather Fincher followed through on the Cleveland Torso Murders movie with him as Elliot Ness. And it sounds like if that Black Hand goes through, it'll have the "anti-immigrant hysteria" angle become too much of a focal point. But it's still content that would interest me enough I'd probably go see it regardless of the other people attached.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Not enough info on The Black Hand stuff yet. I'd rather Fincher followed through on the Cleveland Torso Murders movie with him as Elliot Ness.

Fincher?

Director for the Black Hand is unknown.

but David Fincher is rumored to be directing WWZ2

Old 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
Fincher?

Director for the Black Hand is unknown.

but David Fincher is rumored to be directing WWZ2

I know people who really liked WWZ, but I was a big fan of the book, and just couldn't get into it. I'd be a bit surprised if Fincher did something like that, but not completely. He can be all over the place in content. And if they stuck to the book and bounced around more he'd probably be a good fit.

The Torso Murder thing had bounced around a few times with a few different directors and actors attached. Leo and Matt Damon had both been attached to play Ness. But that goes back four or five years at this point. It's never going to happen, I just thought it was an interesting story, and Fincher's history with Zodiac intrigued me with the unfound killer topic.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
hold this L
Curry 2 > 1 LeBronze

This sounds like a movie that should be made by Fincher. Forget that WW Z trash and focus on this, better actors and far better concept.
hold this L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Thorpesaurous

I only mention Fincher because he was tied to that Cleveland Torso Killer script, I can't find much in the way of who'd be tied to direct The Black Hand. The book was apparently optioned by Paramount under Leo's own production arm. So it seems like a pretty sure thing he'd be in it.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Wow... I was unaware that this is a true story.

Thought it was based on a fictional character.

Joseph Petrosino

Spoiler Alert: Leo dies at the end.

Last edited by Doomsday Dallas : 02-16-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Italy police 'solve' 1909 Petrosino Mafia murder

Quote:
Joe Petrosino, a New York police officer, was shot dead during a mission to the island to collect evidence.

The revelation coincided with the arrest of 95 suspected members of two clans involved in extortion rackets in the island's capital Palermo.

One of those arrested had been recorded boasting that his father's uncle had carried out the killing, police say.

Domenico Palazzotto was overheard telling a colleague that "the uncle of my father was called Paolo Palazzotto; he killed the top policeman killed in Palermo" on the orders of Cascio Ferro. Ferro was a boss in Sicily's Cosa Nostra whose operations extended to the US, Ansa news agency reports.

who should play Vito Cascioferro?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
PowPau
Serious playground baller

I like the sound of this.
PowPau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

The Iron Hand

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1750...media-accounts

Old 10-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

Looking forward to Leo's role in the The Devil in the White City with Scorsese.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: