Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-04-2017, 07:26 AM   #91
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: Are you team safety or team personal freedoms?

It's almost as if you didn't notice that my idea was based on a gradual decades long phaseout for that very reason.

My whole point is you can't have overnight success for just this reason....so you have to think long.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #92
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer

I like how people, when they're trying to make an argument, word it like this:

Quote:
The US has one of the highest rates of death by firearm in the developed world, according to World Health Organization data.

Because what they don't want to admit is that Puerto Rico, a small US territory just south of the mainland, has some of the strictest gun laws on the planet yet, their gun homicide rate is double (almost triple) that of the rest of the US.

So while we can all say 'look at this country', what we really mean is 'look at THIS country'. AKA, the one that fits my argument.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #93
warriorfan
The Bully

Gun control people see gun nuts as paranoid nutcases

Gun nuts see gun control people as paranoid nutcases

You have to admit its a tad amusing

There should be a compromising middle ground...I could get behind no automatics and no silencers, everything else is fair game.
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #94
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
There should be a compromising middle ground...I could get behind no automatics and no silencers, everything else is fair game.

What automatics?? I can't purchase "automatics".
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #95
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
Gun control people see gun nuts as paranoid nutcases

Gun nuts see gun control people as paranoid nutcases

You have to admit its a tad amusing

Samesies.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #96
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Gun control advocates at least have actual terrible situations to drive paranoia. Like 5800 kids get shot every year. A couple five year olds have been shot since I made this. One just killed himself by accident in Orlando last night. I'm talking real world tragic situations that happen every few minutes. Some 9 year old is gonna get shot in the face.....today. We aren't talking abstracts.

The gun rights guys fears are mostly abstract or outlandish talk about the government or....maybe the queen of England...coming for everyone. I'm still waiting for Obama to come for everyone's guns. I kept on reading "We KNOW you're coming for our guns" in comment sections and so on. Must be right around the corner huh?

Finding a way to gradually reduce the number of guns in circulation, mandating more safety courses, holding people more responsible for their guns ending up in bad situations, and driving up prices to make ownership more of an investment than a careless decision?

All seem like rational approaches that would in time....keep a lot of innocent people's heads from being blown off. Can we all agree that we are anti dead kids?

Of course.

The other side aren't monsters. So why not take the baby steps needed to help long term? The NRA slippery slope paranoia?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #97
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing

You can purchase bump stocks, and there's no reason for anyone to have them.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #98
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:

The ones people buy and sell all the time. You really think all the existing ones are in a government warehouse or what? Go to the ATF site. Get the application. Pay 200 dollars and give them all your identification and fingerprints. There are lawyers who work with gun shops to do it. The big gun store here deweys has their own lawyer they refer you to.

You really think it can't be done?
Old 10-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #99
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net...e0&oe=5A4F0018
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #100
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
It's almost like, if you make guns illegal, people can still get their hands on the ones that already exists. Funny how that works.

Same principle applies to f*ckin heroin and cocaine doesn't it?

Doesn't mean they should be legal.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #101
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
There are no automatic weapons available to the public.

Semi-autos moron. People can easily modify them.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #102
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Once again you can buy full auto.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/703359059

Right there. You just can't buy one made after 1986. But there are plenty of them out there. Serious gun people have them. I know people with several who would sell them to you without hesitation once you get your paperwork in order.

It takes a while to do the transfer but you absolutely can buy fully automatic weapons and I don't know where anyone gets the idea that you can't. It's a hassle but you can do it.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #103
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Off the top of my head I know four people with fully automatic machine guns. One of them a handgun. Next time we go shooting I'm going to see if he will bring it out again and let me record it. Dude emptied a long ass clip into a target he keeps on the far bank of a creek in his yard. He pulled the trigger one time and that thing let off like an 80s action movie. Him and his family are down in the country in Clinton South Carolina with pallets of ammunition in an old barn shooting up shit for laughs and teaching girls to shoot. Dude is crazy and I'm not sure he isn't a Nazi sympathizer(he has nazi memorabilia) but he's cool with me. We sit out there drinking whiskey and listening to Bob Seger while he talks about guns like they are his children.....

This is not a criminal mastermind. He's just a gun guy. Guys who take it serious do not have trouble getting automatic weapons. He offered to sell me one and give it to me before my paperwork cleared for $14,000 last year to pay back the IRS.....

To the people who think you can't get automatic weapons I have one thing to ask....

Have you tried?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #104
falc39
Local High School Star

The answer is obviously personal freedoms remain paramount.

That being said, most people who say they support personal freedoms and rights I would not consider them to be actual supporters. Far too many times I've noticed people are quite selective and only support personal freedoms when it conveniently aligns with their political agenda. For example, they will support gun rights but don't care much for (or even support) the increase of NSA spying and erosion of privacy rights while the country looks more like a police state by the day. Or they will support free speech rights but also support taking from the rich which is completely at odds with basic property rights. You get the idea.

I know OP seems to be talking specifically about gun rights in this thread, but my point is personal freedoms is a lot more than that and I've ran into many many people who will tout their support for "personal freedoms" and "the constitution" but if you look closely, they only choose to protect parts of it. It just feels good to say it and believe that you do when in fact you really don't. This goes for people on both the left and right.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #105
Pushxx
Pushxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
As I say in every one of these threads, I don't like guns. I don't have a gun. I've never fired a gun and never held one (a real gun, not like a pellet gun.) I have declined the opportunity because I think it's crazy that such a tool exists and it's insane to think of what you can do with them.

That being said, I think our right to have guns is the final check against the government. I'm not sure if I would ever pick up a gun to fight for a cause like that, but there are plenty of people who would, and God bless them. The day might come when things aren't all rosy or when the government collapses, and people need guns in that instance.

To think of it as 'safety' or 'freedom' to me is looking at it too close. We need guns in case shit gets real on a large scale. In the same way they say the military is our 'currency' across the world, our guns are the last check against what could actually become a country that oppresses us (not just this hype.) Our shit is already starting to erode.

-Smak

Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: