Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 03:11 AM   #1
warriorfan
The Bully

Question Does any other top 20 player have a blemish on their career equal to 2011?

LBJs 2011 is perhaps the worst choke of all time

I do not think any top 20 player even has a moment close to equaling it

Anyone have anything that comes to mind?
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:13 AM   #2
PickernRoller
A New Dynasty Begins!

Default Re: Does any other top 20 player have a blemish on their career equal to 2011?

No. That's why he's the biggest superstar fraud of all time. Mentally weak, fearful of failure....that's why he's a narcissist and stat whore. Getting trashed by the Celtics made him scared to death he would go ringless in his career....which is why he ran and colluded in Miami.
PickernRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:19 AM   #3
Gileraracer
'Empty Stat' James

Default Re: Does any other top 20 player have a blemish on their career equal to 2011?

26yo Lebron James: 17.8PPG on .478%
34yo Jason Terry: 18.0PPG on .494%

Gileraracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:23 AM   #4
Uncle Drew
CHAMPS

Steph Curry in 2016 came to mind, but that doesn't go as he isn't Top 20.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

As with most of these questions it just comes down to your particular bias.

Had Lebron instead of losing the way they did in 2011 won 10 more games to have one of the 5-6 best records ever....ran away with MVP....but lost in the first round to the 76ers as he put up 8 points on 2-13 shooting in the 25 point blowout closeout game while the 8th seed opponent was clowning around and harlem shaking on the bench I think we would remember it as even worse. Lebron as the MVP being the 5th leading scorer in the series losing to a team 25 games worse in the first round with Stephen Jackson giving him the "You aint shit...." lip curl all series?

You would be talking about it forever.

About the same as 99 when Karl Malone...with Jordan finally out of the way...got murdered by Portland. I think they got beat and he had like 6 points while Brian Grant, Sabonis, and Sheed took his lunch money. Hes the MVP over Shaq, Duncan, and so on....no Jordan..its his time. He gets violated by Brian Grant and kicked out in the second round.

We just kinda brush such things under the rug since nothing before the finals even happened....except of course...Lebron himself in 2010. So remove that "Well....its not Lebron...so it didnt happen" factor and I think an 07 Dirk or 99 Malone situation would be pretty heavily discussed.

So it isnt really the worst blemish from a basketball or upset standpoint. Its more an issue of how it can be shaped. 2011 wasnt the worst an all time great has played. Or the biggest upset. It wasnt a "How could they lose to these bums..." situation. It was a "What is he doing? Did he forget hes supposed to be running this shit?" kinda head scratcher.

Hell put aside the numbers and look at what would be big iconic moments? Imagine Lebron literally dribbles out the clock at the end of game 2 of the finals without getting a shot off....then turns it over to allow the other team to force OT in game 4....and misses the potential game tying FTs in OT, and turns it over to give up the sealing points in game 7. Magic didnt exactly play poorly in the Tragic Johnson series....but imagine Lebron doing all that today. The image of him dribbling out the clock might be the most posted gif in ISH history.

Point is...if you set out to hate you could bend a few things into the biggest deal.

What im sure we all agree on....they lost a series they shouldnt have and Lebron went role player like he forgot who he was. Where it stands in history is gonna depend on what you are looking to prove and why.

As a noted hater of Karl Malone a number of things he did come to mind first when I think choking. Losing in the first round with I think...a 61 win team. When the second all time leading scorer couldnt get his team past 54 points in a finals game. The mailman doesnt deliver on sunday Ft choke before Jordan made the game winner in game 1 97. The strip before Jordan made the title winner in 98. The Blazers crushing with Jordan out of the way(His second shot at a no Jordan league where he was upset early). But again....I have issues with Karl Malone so it shapes my opinion. You have Lebron issues. Id say my issues(being a child ****ing, violent, choker) are more valid reasons for hate than Lebron being a bit of a douche(at best) or a massive douche(at worst). But thats just....a discussion for another time.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Kobe 6-24 game 7. Saved by Ron Artest.

Kobe's Lakers blowing a 24 point lead at home in NBA Finals. Celtics went on to win the series.
RoseCity07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
Kawhi m8
0/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
As with most of these questions it just comes down to your particular bias.

Had Lebron instead of losing the way they did in 2011 won 10 more games to have one of the 5-6 best records ever....ran away with MVP....but lost in the first round to the 76ers as he put up 8 points on 2-13 shooting in the 25 point blowout closeout game while the 8th seed opponent was clowning around and harlem shaking on the bench I think we would remember it as even worse. Lebron as the MVP being the 5th leading scorer in the series losing to a team 25 games worse in the first round with Stephen Jackson giving him the "You aint shit...." lip curl all series?

You would be talking about it forever.

About the same as 99 when Karl Malone...with Jordan finally out of the way...got murdered by Portland. I think they got beat and he had like 6 points while Brian Grant, Sabonis, and Sheed took his lunch money. Hes the MVP over Shaq, Duncan, and so on....no Jordan..its his time. He gets violated by Brian Grant and kicked out in the second round.

We just kinda brush such things under the rug since nothing before the finals even happened....except of course...Lebron himself in 2010. So remove that "Well....its not Lebron...so it didnt happen" factor and I think an 07 Dirk or 99 Malone situation would be pretty heavily discussed.

So it isnt really the worst blemish from a basketball or upset standpoint. Its more an issue of how it can be shaped. 2011 wasnt the worst an all time great has played. Or the biggest upset. It wasnt a "How could they lose to these bums..." situation. It was a "What is he doing? Did he forget hes supposed to be running this shit?" kinda head scratcher.

Hell put aside the numbers and look at what would be big iconic moments? Imagine Lebron literally dribbles out the clock at the end of game 2 of the finals without getting a shot off....then turns it over to allow the other team to force OT in game 4....and misses the potential game tying FTs in OT, and turns it over to give up the sealing points in game 7. Magic didnt exactly play poorly in the Tragic Johnson series....but imagine Lebron doing all that today. The image of him dribbling out the clock might be the most posted gif in ISH history.

Point is...if you set out to hate you could bend a few things into the biggest deal.

What im sure we all agree on....they lost a series they shouldnt have and Lebron went role player like he forgot who he was. Where it stands in history is gonna depend on what you are looking to prove and why.

As a noted hater of Karl Malone a number of things he did come to mind first when I think choking. Losing in the first round with I think...a 61 win team. When the second all time leading scorer couldnt get his team past 54 points in a finals game. The mailman doesnt deliver on sunday Ft choke before Jordan made the game winner in game 1 97. The strip before Jordan made the title winner in 98. The Blazers crushing with Jordan out of the way(His second shot at a no Jordan league where he was upset early). But again....I have issues with Karl Malone so it shapes my opinion. You have Lebron issues. Id say my issues(being a child ****ing, violent, choker) are more valid reasons for hate than Lebron being a bit of a douche(at best) or a massive douche(at worst). But thats just....a discussion for another time.

Tldr
Kawhi m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
BigTicket
Cavs for life

Yes, Kobe, Dirk and Malone all have equally bad series in their past.

Shaq was pretty bad in 06 as well, but Wade won it for them, so noone remembers what Shaq did (or didn't).
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #9
Real14
2Willd & 2Fresh est.86

Nope. Nobody
Real14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
ISHGoat
Tolerant Liberals

Kobes entire career.

Oh wait, you said top 10, nvm. I have Kobe at #26
ISHGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #11
hold this L
Curry 2 > 1 LeBronze

You've made this like 10 times dude. We know about 2011, can we move on
hold this L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

I have Wade at 19 or 20, 2014 finals.

Anyone realize in 4-5 years Durant(i already have him in top 20),Curry,Harden,Westbrook all have a great chance to be top 20 all time
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
Gileraracer
'Empty Stat' James

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
Shaq was pretty bad in 06 as well, but Refs won it for them, so noone remembers what Shaq did (or didn't).

fixxed
Gileraracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
SouBeachTalents
LeBron > Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold this L
You've made this like 10 times dude. We know about 2011, can we move on
10 times, it's honestly probably triple that amount And what does it say about Curry and the Warriors that they blew a 3-1 lead to this same loser in the Finals
SouBeachTalents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #15
HurricaneKid
College superstar

That LeBron gets crushed for playing off ball and going 18/8/8 on 47% while Kobe gets a pass for 04 when he willfully snatched defeat from the jaws of victory makes no sense at all. Kobe refused to pass to Shaq despite his 63%+ FG% and instead jacked away at a 38% clip, taking 29 more shots than his clearly superior teammate (at least for the matchup at hand).
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: