Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Terahite
Original Triggerist

Default MLB Playoffs

watching game 2 of the Indians-Yankees ALDS right now tied up in the 10th...

why is this dope playoff game on the ****ing MLB network on a Friday night? is the MLB really this stupid?
Terahite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
ScalsFan21
3 FMVP Fam

Default Re: MLB Playoffs

Frazier to 2nd to lead off the inning... why do I feel like the Yanks are about to take the lead only to lose 10-9 in the bottom half.

It is pretty crazy how a Yankees playoff game is relegated off the basic cable channels. Never would've happened 10 or even 5 years ago that way.
ScalsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Tough loss for the Yankees. They knocked around Kluber only to blow it because of bad managing by Girardi.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
Terahite
Original Triggerist

Girardi = Doc Rivers
Old 10-07-2017, 12:06 AM   #5
ScalsFan21
3 FMVP Fam

Joe Girardi rivals Torre with head-scratching managerial moves in games. Taking out CC was suspect. Not challenging that play as late as the 6th inning is absolutely inexcusable.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I understand that Girardi made a mistake by not challenging the hit-batsman in the 7th inning, but literally all I'm seeing on ESPN and other like national networks is about the Yankees and Girardi. There is relatively little talk about how the Indians overcame maybe the worst start of Kluber's career and the loss of one of their most vital pieces to win a game that looked completely OVER 5 innings in.

And, they did it against arguably the best bullpen in the league ... gutting out crucial plays from Gomes/Lindor throw-and-tag out of a runner at 2nd in extra innings, to Bruce's 8th inning heroics, to Gomes walk-off double.

Whatever you may think of Girardi and his handling of the 5th inning onward, the Indians continue to make the plays in the biggest moments and the Yankees -- who I think have a really good team -- did not.

That was one of the most impressive playoff wins I have ever seen from a sheer "keeping your head in the game" standpoint. They just refused to concede.

As for taking out CC Sabathia, his ERA has gone threw the roof after the 6th inning all season long. Had Girardi not gone with the analytics in that situation and turned the ball over to his very capable bullpen, the same could have easily happened to Sabathia or even worse... and then he'd be getting skewered for leaving him in despite what the numbers said.

I have no problem with Girardi getting some of the blame for what happened, but the Indians cashed in on every opportunity. That should get at least an equal share as the f#cking Yankees manager.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I understand that Girardi made a mistake by not challenging the hit-batsman in the 7th inning, but literally all I'm seeing on ESPN and other like national networks is about the Yankees and Girardi. There is relatively little talk about how the Indians overcame maybe the worst start of Kluber's career and the loss of one of their most vital pieces to win a game that looked completely OVER 5 innings in.

And, they did it against arguably the best bullpen in the league ... gutting out crucial plays from Gomes/Lindor throw-and-tag out of a runner at 2nd in extra innings, to Bruce's 8th inning heroics, to Gomes walk-off double.

Whatever you may think of Girardi and his handling of the 5th inning onward, the Indians continue to make the plays in the biggest moments and the Yankees -- who I think have a really good team -- did not.

That was one of the most impressive playoff wins I have ever seen from a sheer "keeping your head in the game" standpoint. They just refused to concede.

As for taking out CC Sabathia, his ERA has gone threw the roof after the 6th inning all season long. Had Girardi not gone with the analytics in that situation and turned the ball over to his very capable bullpen, the same could have easily happened to Sabathia or even worse... and then he'd be getting skewered for leaving him in despite what the numbers said.

I have no problem with Girardi getting some of the blame for what happened, but the Indians cashed in on every opportunity. That should get at least an equal share as the f#cking Yankees manager.
Maybe it's because the narrative of the Indians being the powerhouse to blow through the ALDS and the Yanks completely butchering a chance to make it a series.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
ScalsFan21
3 FMVP Fam

I definitely don't want to take anything away from the Indians, they made a phenomenal comeback exclusively against quality pitchers. They're a great team and they're riding that 2004 Sox/2015 Royals/2014 Spurs style of magic destiny wave, where they lost the previous year in heart-crushing fashion and seem more determined than ever to "right the wrong". If they eliminate the Yankees, I'll probably be rooting for them to win.

But that was a game that should have been won. The 6th inning was effectively over, and there was nothing to lose by using the challenge. It was one of the worst strategic decisions I've ever seen made by a head coach or manager in my lifetime watching sports. It was that indefensible, and it warrants this level of scrutiny.

In terms of CC, a manager has to have some feel for the game. He was absolutely cruising and you have the luxury of taking things batter by batter with a 5-run lead. He is dreadful at in-game adjustments/adapting to changing circumstances, and I honestly thought it SHOULD have been the "A-story" of Game 2.

It takes a lot to put one of the greatest postseason comebacks ever on the back burner like that, but if ever there was a time... it was last night.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
ROCSteady
One of One

Nats Bats . . . Woke Up

ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #10
Terahite
Original Triggerist

MY ASTROS FIRST TO ADVANCE

Baseball community should thank us for eliminating the CHEATING Red Sox.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #11
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terahite
MY ASTROS FIRST TO ADVANCE

Baseball community should thank us for eliminating the CHEATING Red Sox.
Gonna be a classic series, Tribe vs 'Stros.
TheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
ScalsFan21
3 FMVP Fam

Not so fast. Yankee bats today.

Bauer is one of those guys... I know he's been tearing it up in the 2nd half of this year, but he's been a headcase as far back as I can remember. Didn't surprise me he fell apart when things started going south. Hopefully the Yanks can avoid using any important RP tonight and get some length out of Severino. Gotta win this one going away and put everyone in the pen behind CC in Game 5. This is winnable but the last game will be the most difficult for sure.

I would feel kinda bad for CLE if they blew another 2-game lead to lose a series... but not too bad.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
Not so fast. Yankee bats today.

Bauer is one of those guys... I know he's been tearing it up in the 2nd half of this year, but he's been a headcase as far back as I can remember. Didn't surprise me he fell apart when things started going south. Hopefully the Yanks can avoid using any important RP tonight and get some length out of Severino. Gotta win this one going away and put everyone in the pen behind CC in Game 5. This is winnable but the last game will be the most difficult for sure.

I would feel kinda bad for CLE if they blew another 2-game lead to lose a series... but not too bad.
Could happen.

I didn't want to play the Yankees for this reason ... their lineup is chalk full of HR hitters and they have a great bullpen. If they get hot, they could win the World Series.

Meanwhile, the Indians' lineup is just not the same without Encarnacion anchoring the middle. He leads the team in HRs and RBI. And, we have guys like Brantley and Chisenhall trying to pick up the slack... two guys who've been out with their own injuries most of the season.

The Yankees have all the momentum. Just have to hope Kluber has better stuff tomorrow, I guess. :-/
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
ScalsFan21
3 FMVP Fam

Great game tonight so far, throw it on if you're even a casual baseball watcher. Sabathia was above and beyond what I expected for 4 innings. I would've pulled him a batter or two sooner but eh...
Old 10-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #15
CelticBaller
You mad?

Yanks taking it

sorry not sorry
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: