Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 03-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #1231
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2017-2018 regular season...back to square one again

The 21-year-old Mitchell was named Western Conference Rookie of the Month for the third consecutive time on Thursday, the latest feat in an NBA debut that has been nothing short of stunning. For the season, he’s leading all rookies in scoring (19.6 points) while helping lead a Jazz team that has won 12 of its past 14 games. Entering Friday, Utah – in spite of a slew of injuries to core players and reserves alike – is just two games behind the Nuggets for the eighth and final playoff spot in the West. As rookie experiences go, this is about as unique as it gets. “I didn’t expect any of this to happen,” said Mitchell, who is also averaging 3.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists while shooting 43.7% overall and 35.2% from three-point range. “But now that it’s here, I expect myself to do a lot more and continue to work as hard as I can to get better and better.” – via USA Today Sports

“We thought that Gordon Hayward would be back, and so when we introduced (Mitchell) to the team, we felt like he could be a little bit like George Hill, maybe a little like Dwyane Wade,” Dennis Lindsey explained. “And if all of our free agents stayed, then maybe his first season looks a little bit more like George Hill’s did in San Antonio when we took George (during Lindsey’s time there). But again, opportunity presented itself. Instead of trying to make him go through all the rookie rituals that traditionalists would put him through, let’s just embrace where he’s at and have him get better on the fly. We had a few thumbnails during the summer that (showed) maybe he could handle a few more possessions than we originally anticipated.” – via USA Today Sports

Rudy Gobert is the first to admit that he’s tough on Donovan Mitchell every so often. He calls him out when he takes a bad shot and makes sure he remembers that he’s still a rookie. Still, the 25-year-old is as big a believer as anyone else. “I had no idea who he was,” Gobert said of his early impressions. “(But) I just liked his mentality. He’s a smart kid. He wants to win. He wants to be great, and he’s not scared of responsibility. He just keeps getting better and better. “I’ve told him, ‘I said, do you want to be a guy who scores a lot but who never wins anything, like we have a lot of in this league? Or do you want to be a guy who wins, who makes the right play?’ He wants to win. He watches film all the day, keeps improving, and now his decision making is way better. He doesn’t turn the ball over like he was, he takes better shots, puts more pressure on the defense, and finds teammates too. He’s getting a lot better.” – via USA Today Sports
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #1232
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Jimmy Butler: Jae get away from my coach. You don’t want no smoke either – via Twitter JimmyButler

Jimmy Butler: haven’t used Twitter in years. But yeah Jeff that’s what I like to see. Rubio getting up quick for no reason. – via Twitter JimmyButler

Jae Crowder: I DONT TWITTER BEEF ILL LEAVE THAT TO U.. BUT U GOT MY PHONE NUMBER AND KNOW MY HOME ADDRESS..!! THE REST CAN BE HISTORY 😈😈 – via Twitter CJC9BOSS

Following the game, Crowder said he and Butler are friends just trash-talking each other. “I’m sticking up for my teammate,” Crowder said. “I want to be a part of this family, and I know a part of that is sticking up for one another. I would hope someone would do it for me.” – via Salt Lake Tribune

Kyle Goon: Ricky Rubio didn’t want to comment on if Jeff Teague had a cheap shot, but says Jae Crowder will be a great teammate for him “forever.” – via Twitter

I thought it was a flop personally. Should have been a flagrant 1 for the bump and not going for the ball but no way Ricky should have been flying like that from a simple bump. Pretty sad when the best thing you have to offer the team is flopping.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #1233
Xiao Yao You

Andy Larsen: Crowder on what led to his own ejection: “I just lost my cool a little bit. Disagreed with the call, forgot I had a tech, that’s all.” – via Twitter andyblarsen

Clay Vasquez: Jimmy Butler likes 2 different videos of Jeff Teague body checking Rubio into the crowd👀 @World_Wide_Wob #PettyWarz – via Twitter

Brandon Jennings: Jamal Crawford dude you can play till ur 43. I love ur game!!!! I’m not even trying be funny! Go to China one year! And just hoop – via Twitter JCrossover
Old 03-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #1234
Xiao Yao You

Chris Herring: Was saying this to someone earlier, but Teague had seemingly been tired of Rubio & his shadow for awhile. Remember covering MIN’s media day, & him saying that random ppl in Minneapolis telling him how beloved Rubio was and how he had big shoes to fill shortly after he was signed. – via Twitter Herring_NBA
Old 03-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #1235
Xiao Yao You

Sean Cunningham: Willie Cauley-Stein is out tonight–Lower back strain – via Twitter SeanCunningham
Old 03-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #1236
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
I thought it was a flop personally. Should have been a flagrant 1 for the bump and not going for the ball but no way Ricky should have been flying like that from a simple bump. Pretty sad when the best thing you have to offer the team is flopping.

I know you hate Rubio, but that was a flagrant 2 all day. It wasn't a "simple bump," it was a shoulder check akin to an open field play on a wide receiver to get him out of bounds. Football players fly out of bounds on similar plays, and not because of flopping. Momentum between two athletes when running at full speed is a powerful thing.

No play on the ball, excessive contact, AND clear malice due to a no call at the other end (in other words, a revenge foul)? Flagrant 2, no questions asked.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #1237
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath

I know you hate Rubio, but that was a flagrant 2 all day. It wasn't a "simple bump," it was a shoulder check akin to an open field play on a wide receiver to get him out of bounds. Football players fly out of bounds on similar plays, and not because of flopping. Momentum between two athletes when running at full speed is a powerful thing.

No play on the ball, excessive contact, AND clear malice due to a no call at the other end (in other words, a revenge foul)? Flagrant 2, no questions asked.

Don't hate Rubio but it's painful to watch the guy play basketball if that's what you call what he does.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #1238
Xiao Yao You

Might actually love the guy soon when he's no longer the worst player on the floor
Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #1239
Xiao Yao You

It is also very difficult to tank effectively in the NBA. The last three teams with the best odds of getting the No. 1 in the Draft going into the Lottery — Boston (2017), Philadelphia (2016) and Minnesota (2015) — have indeed won. But prior to that, the team with the best odds didn’t get the first pick for 10 consecutive years, and 22 times out of the last 25 years. And even the teams that did buck the odds and get the first pick often picked wrong, or did I miss Anthony Bennett Night in Cleveland, or the Andrea Bargnani statue outside of Air Canada Centre? “The Draft is often a crap shoot anyway,” the official from the second team said. “So why not give your fans the best product that you can and then draft Donovan Mitchell,” as Utah did this season. The Jazz traded for the rights to the Kia Rookie of the Year candidate, who was taken near the bottom of the Lottery (13th overall by the Denver Nuggets). This came a season after the Jazz went 51-31 and won its first-round playoff series. – via NBA.com
Old 03-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #1240
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Jon Krawczynski: Jeff Teague says he thought Ricky Rubio embellished a little bit “but I’ve got to be smarter in that situation.” – via Twitter JonKrawczynski

Known flopper. Not much doubt about it
Old 03-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #1241
Xiao Yao You

Matt Harpring hasn’t competed in an NBA game since April 27, 2009, but for the last eight years, the 41-year-old stays relevant and connected to the game as a Jazz analyst for AT&T SportsNet. “It’s just different. I don’t view myself as a guy trying to get the adrenaline rush out of it like I was as a player, I don’t expect to feel like I did,” Harpring said. “It’s fun calling the game and getting this side of it, because as a player it was adrenaline, it was ups, it was downs and you live and die by. “But as a broadcaster you care, but at the end of the day you go home and get a good night’s sleep,” he continued, laughing. “It’s a lot different.” – via Deseret News
Old 03-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #1242
Xiao Yao You

Morey isn’t the only one that has noticed this phenomenon. Former Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin gave his opinion on why teams have become worse as a whole at drafting in his comments to Mark Deeks on the excellent inaugural episode of the Give Me Sport NBA podcast. “[Fifteen years ago], you weren’t seeing a preponderance of guys going later than, say, nine or 10 that were moving the needle. And now you’ve got Donovan Mitchell [drafted 13th] going later in the draft. And you’ve had Giannis [drafted 15th] go later in the draft, and Rudy Gobert [drafted 27th].” – via The Athletic
Old 03-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #1243
Xiao Yao You

Scott Agness: Loud applause when Jazz rookie Donovan Mitchell (@Donovan Mitchell) was introduced in Indy. He played at Louisville for two years and plenty of Cardinal fans made the two-hour drive to the game. – via Twitter ScottAgness
Old 03-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #1244
Xiao Yao You

Kyle Goon: Joe Ingles said of this last night: “I thought it was the ballboy calling for the towel. … Harpring’s so young these days, I thought it was the young ballboy there. I’ll buy him a beer or a coffee. Or whatever he drinks.” twitter.com/DimeUPROXX/sta…
Old 03-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #1245
Xiao Yao You

Scott Kushner: Anthony Davis getting a full pregame warmup routine in. He’s currently “questionable” but looks like he’s able to shoot without any issues.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: