Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #31
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation
Default Re: (Orlando predraft camp) Greg Oden's numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water

Quote:
And saying Oden having a bodyfat % of 8 isn't that impressive is because of what Karl Malone used to play at is stupid. Keeping your bodyfat at around 8% for anyone is impressive, for a man his size that is impressive. Karl Malone was the exception.

I just don't think Oden should be labeled a "freak of nature" and a "mind-boggling" physical specimen based on that particular measurement. Its a nice stat compared to those of other centers in the draft, but it is far from unprecedented.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #32
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

dirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this board
Default Re: (Orlando predraft camp) Greg Oden's numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
One the physical fitness of John Stockton and Karl Malone:

"One day Karl told John that his body fat had been measured at 2.7 percent. John just kind of stood there, smirking. Finally, Karl asked him what that was about. John just said, '2.3.' That was his body fat."

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595070286,00.html

It is really hard to belive, but add a 1% or 1,5 I am in

He must have used one of this
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #33
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Simply not true. Many coaches who coach high school aged kids do not believe in weight lifting for kids that age.
I know most of the high school coaches around my area and they all have the team do some moderate weight lifting in 9th... I KNOW a lot of kids that go to the Y when I'm there in 7-12 grade its common for kids to lift in that age area now....
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #34
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
I just don't think Oden should be labeled a "freak of nature" and a "mind-boggling" physical specimen based on that particular measurement. Its a nice stat compared to those of other centers in the draft, but it is far from unprecedented.
It's a blatant fluff piece. Basically some Portland beat writer decided to gloat that the Trailblazers were going to be landing Greg Oden.

What better way to gloat than make it seem as though the #1 rated player is head and shoulders better than the #2 guy?

Like I said before no scout worth his salt is actually shocked by either players numbers.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #35
Day La Ghetto
Decent college freshman

Day La Ghetto has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
LeBron was prob. lifting in 9th grade. Hell most people that lift start in like 7th!
Doubt it. He wasn't very built when he came to the NBA. He might have lifted, but not hard though or on a regular basis.
Day La Ghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #36
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

HE WAS a big man, I'm sure he worked out in high school.

What kinda athletes don't work out in high school?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #37
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I know most of the high school coaches around my area and they all have the team do some moderate weight lifting in 9th... I KNOW a lot of kids that go to the Y when I'm there in 7-12 grade its common for kids to lift in that age area now....
It's common, sure. However, there are enough coaches that aren't fans of weight lifting at the age to make inexperience with weights common also.

EDIT*** My comments are not about LeBron James. It's about the most kids part. I'm pretty sure LeBron did some lifting in high school since he played football his first two years.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #38
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He cant bench 185 more than once? How accurate is that?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #39
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Actually that is a good point cause most people don't acknowledge that if your technique is not textbook your reps will not count.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #40
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
It's a blatant fluff piece. Basically some Portland beat writer decided to gloat that the Trailblazers were going to be landing Greg Oden.

What better way to gloat than make it seem as though the #1 rated player is head and shoulders better than the #2 guy?

Like I said before no scout worth his salt is actually shocked by either players numbers.

The casual Portland fan reading this isn't going to know what's expected. So to them, it is surprising.

Bitter at all?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #41
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

YOUR BOY IS A PUSSIE
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #42
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
The casual Portland fan reading this isn't going to know what's expected. So to them, it is surprising.

Bitter at all?
I think Oden is the most over-rated (note that over-rated does not mean bad; simply means not as great as advertised) prospect to ever hit the NBA so why would I be bitter?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #43
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Actually that is a good point cause most people don't acknowledge that if your technique is not textbook your reps will not count.

I bet that might be it. But I'm a lil apprehensive to target that because Texas is a big Div 1 school and I know they have a state of the art athletic training facility. They have trainers there. Durant and his peoples had to know they test for this...so where was the preparation and if there was none why not?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #44
deion2123
High school junior varsity star

deion2123 has an OK reputation so far

some people are better in games than workouts since the adrenaline bumps up their athleticism more
deion2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #45
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
One the physical fitness of John Stockton and Karl Malone:

"One day Karl told John that his body fat had been measured at 2.7 percent. John just kind of stood there, smirking. Finally, Karl asked him what that was about. John just said, '2.3.' That was his body fat."

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595070286,00.html
this **** is all media hype. if their body fat was that low their brain would stop functioning properly.

"What should your body fat percent be?

Your ideal weight and fat-lean ratio varies considerably for men and women and by age, but the minimum percent bodyfat considered safe for good health is 5% for males and 12% for females. The average adult body fat is closer to 15%-18% for men and 22%-25% for women.

Athletes tend to be at low end of this scale due to the increased lean weight (muscle mass) of top athletes. While low levels of bodyfat seem to be related to improved performance, body composition alone is not a great predictor of sports success. A linebacker needs to have enough body mass (lean and fat weight) to generate high forces and avoid injury. Bodyfat amoung elite athletes vary largely by sport. There is little evidence benefit when men drop under 8% and women drop under 14% bodyfat. "
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: