Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #31
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Default Re: The Dallas Cowboys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTěN
Other than Bill Cowher, who obviously had a sustained degree of success, coaches very rarely break through to win their first title after 5+ years on the same job, the Cowboy are stale and inconsistent year to year, keeping the same guy is uninspiring.
Our own Tom Landry won his first SB on his 12th year. It's very rare in today's NFL because it is very rare for any coach to remain for 5 years period.

It would be different if Garrett had a losing record. Our one recent outlier year was the 4-12 year Romo broke his back. Outside of that we have been playing competitive football. I don't think it is worth firing Garrett just to 'inspire' fans...honestly that sounds like what the old Jerry Jones would do. I don't want to start over fresh with a new coach. We've been in the hunt recently, we need to see it out.

The only thing Garrett does that I dislike is his redzone play calling. It's like he over thinks it...tries to show off his Ivy League degree and get tricky. When all that is needed is a running up the middle. If he could get his redzone stuff under control, I think he'd be without any holes.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:27 AM   #32
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
I dont give a shit about Garretts record in 2016... Del Rio went 12-4 that same year in an absolutely brutal division, and he is a mediocre coach at best.

Like I said - What exactly does Garrett do well? Is his play calling good? Is his gameplanning good? Are his formations good? Does he understand gameflow and make good play-calling decisions in real time? Does he bring the best out of his players through his energy and charisma??

pretty much everything except clapping
Am I allowed to give an answer as short as yours? I'm not going to do a full on scouting report of Garrett, but he has been groomed to be a HC ever since he was playing backup here in Dallas. He's also extremely intelligent. And I would say that he does bring out the best in his players. Did you watch the Hard Knocks the year he was on? Give some of it a watch, seriously, he has a commanding style that the player's respect. It will probably surprise you.

Since you can't answer what you dislike about him...let me ask you this. What coach could Jerry bring in that you wouldn't call a 'puppet'? If that is your reasoning for thinking Garrett should be fired, what good would it be to just replace him with another puppet?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:36 AM   #33
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

If Garrett deserves to be fired then so do around 20 other coaches IMO. Only one team every year can win a SB and Belechik has eatin up a huge of recent SBs. There aren't that many SB winning coaches.

It's hard to win it all in this league...I feel like any coach who is over .500 deserves his place. Just sticking by that rule the entire bottom 50% could be fired.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #34
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Dear Jerry:

Break up with Garrett... and move on.

This relationship has lasted way too long.

If the Cowboys do anything great this year, it won't be due to Jason's coaching.

This is why the 95' Cowboys were the greatest team ever... they won the SB despite the coaching.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:01 AM   #35
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Trailer
Old 07-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #36
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 AM   #37
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Am I allowed to give an answer as short as yours? I'm not going to do a full on scouting report of Garrett, but he has been groomed to be a HC ever since he was playing backup here in Dallas. He's also extremely intelligent. And I would say that he does bring out the best in his players. Did you watch the Hard Knocks the year he was on? Give some of it a watch, seriously, he has a commanding style that the player's respect. It will probably surprise you.

Okay you want a long answer?

The Cowboys have always had an above average roster during Garretts tenure. They have had an elite O-line, a couple different elite RBs, a true top-end WR1, an (aging) HOF TE, and well above average QB play... and all of this has resulted in 2 winning seasons and a 1-2 playoff record in six years of Garretts coaching. During each of the three consecutive 8-8 seasons Garrett had near the start of his career, the Cowboys would have made the playoffs with a win in their final regular season game in all 3 of those years, and yet they lost all 3 games - which leads me to my next point.

Garrett does not win big games. What is his biggest career win? The playoff game against Detroit? I am guessing that the reason Garrett has barely any memorable wins to his name after 6 years is because -

Garrett has shown no ability to make in-game adjustments. Throughout his tenure, the Cowboys regularly perform worse in the second half than they do in the first. Here are some of the numbers from last season

1) The​ Cowboys scored 46 total points in the third quarter last season, while their opponents scored 100.

2) They lost four games in which they led at halftime.

3) They lost every game in which they were losing at halftime.

4) Dallas' opponents got progressively better at scoring every quarter, giving up 14 percent of their total points in the first quarter, 23 percent in the second, 30 percent in the third, and 33 percent in the fourth quarter.

On the topic of mid-game adjustments, the game last year where that no-name Falcons DE got 6 sacks is a perfect example of poor adjusting. Even in the third and fourth quarters after the guy already had a few sacks, the Cowboys barely attempted anything to slow him down (like double-teaming or chipping with a TE or whatever), if you dont believe me, just watch for yourself.

So there you go, he is an underachiever who cant win big games and cant make mid-game adjustments. Do you want more reasons or is that enough for now?

Quote:
Since you can't answer what you dislike about him...let me ask you this. What coach could Jerry bring in that you wouldn't call a 'puppet'? If that is your reasoning for thinking Garrett should be fired, what good would it be to just replace him with another puppet?

Maybe Jim Harbaugh? Josh McDaniels? Bruce Aryans?

Quote:
If Garrett deserves to be fired then so do around 20 other coaches IMO. Only one team every year can win a SB and Belechik has eatin up a huge of recent SBs. There aren't that many SB winning coaches.

It's hard to win it all in this league...I feel like any coach who is over .500 deserves his place. Just sticking by that rule the entire bottom 50% could be fired.

No doubt its hard to find a great coach. Theres only a small handful of them, and even when you get a great coach he still needs to be surrounded by the right situation in order to succeed.

For the record, its not like I ever said Garrett is the worst coach in the league...hes definitely better than clowns like Hue Jackson and Marvin Lewis. I said Garrett is mediocre, and if mediocre is okay with you, then by all means keep Garrett and continue to be irrelevant. Personally if I was a fan of "americas team", I would demand more than mediocre. A franchise like the Cowboys is one of the most attractive coaching jobs in the entire league, they shouldnt have to settle for mediocre.

Anyway, since I am not a Cowboys fan, I kinda hope Garrett stays another 6+ years... theres something kind of cathartic about watching the Cowboys lose.

Last edited by Nanners : 07-22-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #38
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Does Terrell Owens Have A Point About Jason Garrett's Job?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #39
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
Keep doing your thing dooms!

Checked out that Glass trailer. I liked it.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #40
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Dallas Cowboys Hype Video 2018

Old 07-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #41
Rocket
Saw a basketball once

The Cowboys will never have significant success as long as Clappy the Clown is calling the shots from the sidelines. Garrett has proven over and over he is in over his head. Jerry Jones has shown it is more important for him to be comfortable than to hire a good coach. Jerry knows if they ever manage to win under Garrett, Jerry will get all the credit for assembling a roster to overcome his idiot coach.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #42
FUTěN
Good High School Starter

https://twitter.com/BenRogers/status...32688360468480

there's also this - many cowboy players have said that Tony Romo's audible acuity covered up for weak playcalling
FUTěN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #43
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Trailer 2

Published on Jul 31, 2018

Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #44
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:

So do you have any response to my post? Between writing and finding sources I spent a good 20-30 minutes on that thing.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #45
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Yeah Ill get at it. I just returned from a 10 day vacation to London. Trying to get my life back in order here with kids and job, haven't had any time to think about football recently. Cant believe its right around the corner. I still havent had time to process Eagles winning with a backup QB.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: