Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #16
Back In Shape
Good High School Starter

Default Re: Since the Dems on here love Polls

The thing is something like 30% of voters(if I remember correctly) won't admit in public they will vote for Trump but plan to still vote for him anyway. He has a secret/underground base in the US will support him. Not sure if this carries over onto Republicans or not
Back In Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #17
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Not really... The vast majority of Republicans were telling the truth about what they wanted to do. When you look at things in context, it comes down to about 3 or 4 Republican senators who are blocking everything.

Susan Collins
John McCain
Lisa Murkowski
Rand Paul (sometimes)

John McCain (who conservatives have NEVER liked) is the only one who I would say outright lied to the voters. The others are voting exactly how you would expect them to.

pertaining to the biggest failure of the year ~ healthcare...GOP told you they had a better vision for healthcare...thats what Trump sold from his podium as well. (more coverage, less money, everything great! Day one!)

What was offered to you guys however? basically obamacare minus the mandate and with tons of funding cut out. There was no logical framework put forth to fix the situation and voters realized it which is why ACA popularity has skyrocketed in the past year. A lot of republican voters didnt even know the difference between obamacare, the ACA, and medicaid when they are all the same thing and GOP was about to lay a guillotine on them (remember these republican voters and red states are the same ones with the highest rate of disease and obesity and a lot actually used these services unknowingly). Public pressure is what made those senators you listed turn coat. the people didnt want their plan because it was a garbage plan with an approval rating in the teens.

And now we have GOP tax reform which basically aims to cut taxes on high earners and corporations while shifting even more tax burden onto the middle, and upper middle classes. Another disaster policy thats going to see a lot of resistance.

And finally the last promise...the wall.

Because all the hispanics coming over are more dangerous than our homegrown white guys sniping church and concert goers with modded heavy weaponry.

I do have a question for you though....when was the last time republicans past any major legislation? Last i can remember is Bush tax cuts which sent our economy (and the worlds) into a spiral a few years later. What has that party done other than try to undo? Theyre simply incompetent.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
This type of flipping is pretty common (Dems made huge gains during the Reagan years, for example) but typically not in areas that broke heavily for the winning candidate.
Over the Reagan presidency, the Dems had a net gain of 7 house seats and 7 senate seats. I'm not sure I would characterize that as "huge gains".

In comparison, over the Obama presidency, the Republicans had a net gain of 65 house seats and 14 senate seats.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #19
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
I do have a question for you though....when was the last time republicans past any major legislation? Last i can remember is Bush tax cuts which sent our economy (and the worlds) into a spiral a few years later. What has that party done other than try to undo? Theyre simply incompeten.
Can you explain exactly how the Bush tax cuts sent the economy into a spiral? I'd love to hear an explanation of how the government collecting less tax dollars has anything to do with private banks collapsing over unpaid mortgage loans.

What are you arguing? That if taxes were higher, those people would have paid their mortgages off? Or are you arguing that if taxes were higher, banks wouldn't have loaned money for those mortgages in the first place?

Please explain.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #20
Back In Shape
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Over the Reagan presidency, the Dems had a net gain of 7 house seats and 7 senate seats. I'm not sure I would characterize that as "huge gains".

In comparison, over the Obama presidency, the Republicans had a net gain of 65 house seats and 14 senate seats.

I believe it was 69/14.

Bill Clinton lost 12 senators to the Republicans, not sure how many members of Congress but it was at least 20.
Back In Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #21
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
I believe it was 69/14.

Bill Clinton lost 12 senators to the Republicans, not sure how many members of Congress but it was at least 20.
I don't know the exact number of house seats Clinton lost, but just remember... The Dems held the house for like 40 years straight until they lost it in 94.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #22
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:

Reagan lost 8 senate seats and 19 house seats during his run, but that probably wasn't the best example.

GWB lost 13 senate seats and 42 house seats during his presidency. Not as bad as Obama, but pretty brutal regardless.

The main point stands: the incumbent presidentís political party tends to lose ground in Congress and at the state level during their run, and we can already see this happening with Gump.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #23
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
The thing is something like 30% of voters(if I remember correctly) won't admit in public they will vote for Trump but plan to still vote for him anyway. He has a secret/underground base in the US will support him. Not sure if this carries over onto Republicans or not

That's because its dangerous to admit you voted for Trump.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #24
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Reagan lost 8 senate seats and 19 house seats during his run, but that probably wasn't the best example.

GWB lost 13 senate seats and 42 house seats during his presidency. Not as bad as Obama, but pretty brutal regardless.

The main point stands: the incumbent presidentís political party tends to lose ground in Congress and at the state level during their run, and we can already see this happening with Gump.

That's all you can hope for at this point...

That history repeats itself.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #25
bladefd
College superstar

Quote:
Not really... The vast majority of Republicans were telling the truth about what they wanted to do. When you look at things in context, it comes down to about 3 or 4 Republican senators who are blocking everything.

Susan Collins
John McCain
Lisa Murkowski
Rand Paul (sometimes)

John McCain (who conservatives have NEVER liked) is the only one who I would say outright lied to the voters. The others are voting exactly how you would expect them to.

Those ba$tard Republicans!! They are blocking everything Trump wants. Trump only has the best interests in mind for American citizens, and they are screwing him. He is the mother Teresa and Gandhi of presidents - how DARE they??

I mean Trump never lie, and they are screwing the poor guy over. Trump is a very honest guy with TREMENDOUSLY high values. Very good guy. It breaks my heart they would do that to him =[
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #26
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
That's all you can hope for at this point...

That history repeats itself.

History is repeating itself as we speak (dullwitted Republican president; ineffective GOP-controlled congress). Close your eyes and it's 2003 all over again.

The best we can hope is that this collection of GOP trash leaves behind a smaller mess than their 2000's counterparts. Doesn't appear likely though.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #27
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
History is repeating itself as we speak (dullwitted Republican president; ineffective GOP-controlled congress). Close your eyes and it's 2003 all over again.

The best we can hope is that this collection of GOP trash leaves behind a smaller mess than their 2000's counterparts. Doesn't appear likely though.

Maybe the DNC can steal 1,000 political seats during Trump's tenure like we saw during Obama's.

One can hope.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #28
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/politi...xes/index.html

Of course it goes on to say Republicans aren't faring any better.

It seems that people of both parties aren't on board 100% but vote for their party's candidate for lack of a better alternative. Seems like the atmosphere is still ripe for the populists. Is that still Bernie for the Dems?

Exactly. That's why the "approval" polls are bullshit. Nobody approved Trump/Clinton last year but they still got votes obviously.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #29
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Those ba$tard Republicans!! They are blocking everything Trump wants. Trump only has the best interests in mind for American citizens, and they are screwing him. He is the mother Teresa and Gandhi of presidents - how DARE they??

I mean Trump never lie, and they are screwing the poor guy over. Trump is a very honest guy with TREMENDOUSLY high values. Very good guy. It breaks my heart they would do that to him =[

They're blocking what Trump voters want.

John McCain, Susan Collins and Murkowski are big government swampy republicans. They aren't conservatives at all.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #30
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/politi...xes/index.html

Of course it goes on to say Republicans aren't faring any better.

It seems that people of both parties aren't on board 100% but vote for their party's candidate for lack of a better alternative. Seems like the atmosphere is still ripe for the populists. Is that still Bernie for the Dems?

it hasn't been a secret that both sides are dissatisfied with their parties. the loudest voices pushing both parties to the fringes is damaging america. we offered up the 2 worse possible candidates last year. it's disgusting
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: