Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #31
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Default Re: California NAACP seeks to remove 'Star-Spangled Banner' as national anthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
i only read nuetral news sources... no Fox or CNN...and focus on big picture things that actually matter not the circus side show stuff OP tio and others dabble in.
This kind of thing doesn't hurt Dems in California, but it does hurt them in other states. A person in Ohio or Michigan sees this and thinks "WTF is wrong with the Dems? Why would you make it legal to purposely give people HIV? I definitely can't for for them in my state".

Just like it hurts Republicans when Republicans in Alabama want to make being gay illegal.

This wacky stuff doesn't fly in more moderate states.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #32
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Re: California NAACP seeks to remove 'Star-Spangled Banner' as national anthem

Quote:
i only read nuetral news sources... no Fox or CNN...and focus on big picture things that actually matter not the circus side show stuff OP tio and others dabble in.

Is this circus side show stuff?

Quote:
But none of these have been as disastrous as California's self-inflicted fiscal wounds, which have made the state's finances not only highly volatile but threaten the state's very future as a center of innovation and technology.

That might seem surprising, given that California is in the midst of an epic tech and real estate boom, with both Silicon Valley and Southern California's Silicon Beach flourishing in tandem.

High-end jobs are growing, more billionaires are being made, real estate values have again reached stratospheric levels, and China is buying and building commercial skyscrapers in downtown Los Angeles like there's no tomorrow. If it were a sovereign nation, California's $2.5 trillion economy would make it the sixth-largest economy in the world.

Yet California's top marginal income tax rate of 13.3% remains the highest in the nation. Last year, it ranked dead last in Chief Executive magazine's "Best and Worst States for Business" survey for the 12th year in a row. And the state got an "F" in Thumbtack.com's "2016 Small Business Friendliness Survey."

Middle-income workers have left in droves, seeking lower living costs, more-affordable housing and job opportunities in nearby states. From 2004 to 2013, 5 million Californians departed, while just 3.9 million people moved in from other states, a net loss of more than 1 million in population. California's population still grew overall, due to immigration and in-state births. But those who left took a net $26 billion in annual income with them.

Businesses are also skedaddling. Last year, business relocation firm Spectrum Location Solutions said that since 2008 nearly 10,000 companies either had left the state or cut back on investments, due largely to its tax and regulatory policies. And a planned hike in the state minimum wage to $15 an hour, which could destroy 600,000 jobs, will only make the business exodus grow.

Worst-case scenario: The technology and tech-driven entertainment media companies now carrying the state also pack up for less-costly locales, leaving a mostly low-wage, low productivity business landscape incapable of sustaining what's left of California's once-thriving middle-class dream.

https://www.investors.com/news/econo...ay-for-it-all/

Quote:
In 2014, just 144,000 wealthy individuals out of nearly 40 million Californians paid half of all the taxes.

What happens when those wealthy individuals leave for states like Texas and Florida, like they're already doing? What happens when you reach the point where you can't tax the rich anymore because you ran them all off?

We already see it on a national level... not enough payers, and too many freeloaders. You think that can't happen in CA?
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #33
qrich
King Heno

Ah yes, the California NAACP who gave Donald Tokowitz Sterling TWO lifetime achievement awards

Quote:
Right and thats 1 of 1000s of laws ... and everything they contribute economically (remember...this is the current GOP barometer). Judging them off one small subset in the large context of everything they do is like showing a clip of michael jordan missing a shot to say he sucks. Dumb.

So because they bring in $$$, it's okay to shrug off everything else?
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #34
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
So because they bring in $$$, it's okay to shrug off everything else?

Who cares if Anthony Weiner was sexting with teenagers...

Do you know how much money he pays in taxes every year?
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #35
bladefd
NBA lottery pick

It's not happening, and I honestly don't give a damn what NAACP has to say. Ignorant comments like:

Quote:
The U.S. Congress should adopt a new national anthem that’s not “another song that disenfranchises part of the American population,” Huffman said.

She has no idea what she is talking about and does not know the history of that song. Song is not trying to disenfranchise anyone if you actually took the time to analyze the lyrics and study the history behind it. Song is not about blacks or whites or whatever but American people aka "freedmen" including everyone American. If the lyrics disenfranchise anyone, they disenfranchise the British because they are anti-British for sure.

I will defend anyone if they get discriminated due to race, gender, skin color, etc, but what I don't defend is someone trying to twist history and facts for their own benefit. That's dangerous.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #36
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Can we dissolve that state?

Good luck eating, pretty much all food and produce comes from California.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #37
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Is this circus side show stuff?

What happens when those wealthy individuals leave for states like Texas and Florida, like they're already doing? What happens when you reach the point where you can't tax the rich anymore because you ran them all off?

We already see it on a national level... not enough payers, and too many freeloaders. You think that can't happen in CA?

The state has major infrastructure and population density problems, but it's not driving away the rich- I can tell that. Major multi-billion dollar industries are based out of California whether it be entertainment or tech.

Your studies basically show it's not a great place for small businesses, which is basically true. It's not. But with companies like Google and Facebook investing billions of dollars on building new campuses that will attract even more talent into the state, it'll probably be fine. Unless you're part of a future unicorn start-up, most likely you're going to be working at a big company.

The companies that have been leaving California have been more tied to old industries like automotive - such as Toyota going to Texas while they're being replaced by new, growing and booming industries like tech and biosciences.

People are not fleeing as in droves like you paint. If that's the case, most of the major metro areas like Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco Bay wouldn't be suffering from large scale housing inventory/supply issues.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #38
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
The NFL is a business. If the owners want them to stand, they'll stand. You can protest all you want, but not while you're on the clock. Cause while you're on the clock, YOUR ASS BELONGS TO ME.

Understand now? Do you have a job? Try telling your boss that you're going to protest the injustices in this country by taking an extended lunch break every day. See how long you continue to work there. The NFL is a business like I said. Not a place where the players dictate what they can and cannot do.

Nice that you think that. In the real world the kind of employees that justify 100 million dollar contracts have huge pull. They dont pay a guy 28 million dollars when hes easily fungible.

You are comparing them to entry level workers. Breaks?

Even im too far from the bottom to have someone on my ass over breaks. I dont think ive taken what id call a "break" in 10 years. Im only in the same building with a superior 2-3 times a week and thats in short bursts. I could walk right back out the door right now and come back in 4 hours without explanation long as I could be reached. You cant really even compare me to the kinds of people who get micromanaged the way you suggest. And you are trying to compare them to guys who in some cases....earn more money than the teams they work for.

Go look at the Packers books(open to the public since they are owned by the community). Aaron Rodgers literally makes more than the team at times. Not this year...but they range from like 6 to 45 million in profits.

If a guy at Arbys made more money than the company as a whole bet your ass it would come with more leeway than the guy cleaning shit off the toilet seats.

You are smart enough to know that. I dont generally think you are correct but I dont think youre stupid either.

These guys are not standard employees. They can walk into their billionaires owners office and demand discussion of issues they find important.

The kind of grunts you are pretending they are couldnt get a hold of anyone more than....2-3 rungs up the ladder. Some of the guys you mention are in meetings with the assembled ownership groups in person.

They are taking meetings with 100 billion dollars on the other side of the table and Latham and Watkins partners next to them on their side.

Can we stop with the "Yea but if you did ___ at your job..." talk about people who have the pull to actually stop their business from running and cost billions in losses by just staying home on a sunday?

They arent the guys cleaning the ice cream machine at mcdonalds. You cant hire 300 million people to replace Julio Jones.

There are like...8 of him. On Earth. He gets to say more at work than Julio Cortez working frozen foods at Target.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #39
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

this is what they put their time into instead of really helping the black community. What a ripoff. Black people should wake the hell up.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #40
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

Good for California.

The greatest state that has ever existed.
1987_Lakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:13 AM   #41
Lakers Legend#32
Good college starter

As long as it p!sses off the Red States, go for it.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: