Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default How does a politician reduce the deficit?

I hear a lot from random people... 'Trump is cutting funding to education', 'Trump is cutting funding to mental health', and so on and so on.

I hear the same thing in KY where the governor is attempting to balance the budget by making cuts to spending, but NOBODY is willing to have their funding cut, so it turns into a loud backlash when the reality is, the problem hasn't been addressed in 30 years which is why we are where we are.

So which president will ever fix the deficit? Like zoo animals, once people get used to having money handed to them, you cannot take it away. That applies to federal agencies, all the way down to welfare recipients.

So the question is... when will it ever be fixed? Or will it ever be fixed? Or does it just not matter because we are the U-S-of-A and we can run up a $100 trillion dollar bar tab just because?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Default Re: How does a politician reduce the deficit?

Read: Come on everybody, tighten your belts. Muh billionaires need a tax cut.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
Read: Come on everybody, tighten your belts. Muh billionaires need a tax cut.

Not a whole lot of billionaires in Kentucky.

Very thought provoking, though.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Not a whole lot of billionaires in Kentucky.

Very thought provoking, though.

Didn't realize this thread was solely about Kentucky.
Is that why you brought up Trump and the annual deficit?

Now tell us, which programs should we cut in order to pay for the massive tax cuts Trump is proposing? Because stuffing off-shore accounts with money ain't cheap y'know:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...fake-populism/

Non-rich Republican voters are by far the biggest suckers on earth.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

2 ways to reduce deficit: raise revenue or cut funding. Neither choice is ideal although there is plenty of room for cuts in our bloated government.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
falc39
Local High School Star

There was a Republican candidate who was actually serious about cutting the deficit who ran for for the nomination in the last election but voters didn't vote for him.

There are many ways the deficit can be reduced. The most effective way in my opinion is to cut spending. The most direct way that has to be done is through representatives in Congress and the President. I don't have any confidence that will happen at this point. Another way is not letting the debt ceiling get suspended or raised higher. (It was recently suspended)

The federal reserve can put the stops on runaway government spending too. By buying government bonds at a rate not matched by any other entity in the world, the federal reserve played a key role in allowing the federal government to borrow without worry. I have long been waiting for Trump's nomination of the new Fed chairman and after knowing who it is now, I am not confident anything will change- it's more of the same.

So the mechanisms are there, it's just too tempting to look good in the short term and not do anything about fixing it in the long term.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Didn't realize this thread was solely about Kentucky.
Is that why you brought up Trump and the annual deficit?

Now tell us, which programs should we cut in order to pay for the massive tax cuts Trump is proposing? Because stuffing off-shore accounts with money ain't cheap y'know:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...fake-populism/

Non-rich Republican voters are by far the biggest suckers on earth.

That's because you lack simple reading comprehension. This isn't even about Trump... its about 'How does a politician reduce the deficit?'... which is what the title is.

Re-read the OP and try again.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
2 ways to reduce deficit: raise revenue or cut funding. Neither choice is ideal although there is plenty of room for cuts in our bloated government.

I think realistically there has to be some of both of you want to reduce the deficit. The budget deficit has been reduced a lot since the Great Recession when a lot of people were collecting unemployment and the bailouts occurred.

But even with the deficit, the US had suffered from a lack of public investment and our national/local infrastructure is proof of that.

I think deficit concerns are way overblown tho. We ran constant budget deficits for 26 years (1971-1997). If you ignore 1969, that streak would be 45 straight years with a budget deficit (1952-1997).
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I think realistically there has to be some of both of you want to reduce the deficit. The budget deficit has been reduced a lot since the Great Recession when a lot of people were collecting unemployment and the bailouts occurred.

But even with the deficit, the US had suffered from a lack of public investment and our national/local infrastructure is proof of that.

I think deficit concerns are way overblown tho. We ran constant budget deficits for 26 years (1971-1997). If you ignore 1969, that streak would be 45 straight years with a budget deficit (1952-1997).

But how long do you think we as a country can realistically continue to do this?

Forever? If that's the case, let's up our spending to infuse the economy with public works projects.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
fiddy
Raider of Rampage

Troll thread?

Stop the military corruption, 650 billie for "defence", kek

Problem solved.

On a side note, the US doesnt need to reduce anything as it is bankrupt already.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
That's because you lack simple reading comprehension. This isn't even about Trump... its about 'How does a politician reduce the deficit?'... which is what the title is.

Re-read the OP and try again.

You literally asked, "so which president will ever fix the deficit?".But yeah, this thread has nothing to do with the POTUS.

Are you ashamed to admit you want the government to slash spending to pay for Trump's tax cuts? You should be.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
JerebkoTaylor
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
You literally asked, "so which president will ever fix the deficit?".But yeah, this thread has nothing to do with the POTUS.

Are you ashamed to admit you want the government to slash spending to pay for Trump's tax cuts? You should be.

even if the wealthy pays less than 10 % of their salaries to taxes they are still contrbuting a million times more to society than the middle class and below while using the welfare less, probably takes their kids to private school, thus not clogging the public education etc etc. meanwhile they are funding those peoples lives.

if you want fairness, id say remove all tax codes and lets move to flat income tax.

and i wouldnt be ashamed to defend tax cuts to the rich, they still contributing to the welfare tenfold what anyone else here doese on a daily basis.
JerebkoTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #13
Ben Simmons
Decent college freshman

Economic growth increases the governments total money.

I think the government needs to stop looking at money so broadly and prioritise efficiency. Dont just cut money, prove that certain people getting money are wasting it. Healhcare, Education, Welfare, Military, etc. No way they have 100% spending efficiency. Work on making them waste as little money as possible
Ben Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:

I said it has nothing to do with Trump.

Dude... you can't read for shit.

Don't you get tired of trying to spin statements only to be corrected later? I mean, all the words are right there for everyone to see.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #15
Trollsmasher
The Fam

the deficit cannot be lowered in the systems that are currently set up

not with the population that is constantly getting bigger, older and more dependent upon the goverment
Trollsmasher is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: