Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #16
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Re: How does a politician reduce the deficit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
Troll thread?

Stop the military corruption, 650 billie for "defence", kek

Problem solved.

On a side note, the US doesnt need to reduce anything as it is bankrupt already.

Everyone agrees that a reduction in wasteful spending is necessary.

And believe me, there is a LOT of wasteful spending in the defense budget.

I'm saying, though, that at some point, a politician responsible for reducing the deficit will have to make cuts. Nobody likes cuts, and that gets blown into 'you want to kill babies' before the final budgets are even released.

But any politician that plans to 'cut' spending in order to right a deficit is going to be vilified and immediately voted out of office. That's why I mentioned Kentucky; no governor had bothered to cut out of control spending until now, but now, these state agencies and individuals are so conditioned to have their hand out that if you try to cut off the gravy train, you're going to get ridiculous backlash.

On the flip side, if a politician attempts to raise taxes to increase revenues, that politician is going to get shit on too, but to a lesser degree. There is still a significant portion of this country that somehow believe the government won't piss away their tax dollars.

Point being, either way, there doesn't seem to be a good way to reduce the deficit without taking heat for it.

And with our current deficit, not only at the federal level but in every state... I just can't see this trend continuing indefinitely.

Or can it?
UK2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #17
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
the deficit cannot be lowered in the systems that are currently set up

not with the population that is constantly getting bigger, older and more dependent upon the goverment

Great point. Hadn't even thought of that originally, but you're right.

We just don't have enough tax payers to pay for the people in this country over 65.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #18
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year

Similar to a flat tax, has no one proposed a flat cut? X% off of every government program?
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #19
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
Similar to a flat tax, has no one proposed a flat cut? X% off of every government program?

Someone did.... Can't remember who it was, but it was a one cent cut per dollar for every government agency.

The Penny plan, I believe it was called. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe government agencies will actually spend more wisely instead of throwing lavish office parties.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #20
ThePhantomCreep
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
I said it has nothing to do with Trump.

Dude... you can't read for shit.

Don't you get tired of trying to spin statements only to be corrected later? I mean, all the words are right there for everyone to see.

There's an idiot who posts here regularly. He wrote this, remember?

Quote:
I hear a lot from random people... 'Trump is cutting funding to education', 'Trump is cutting funding to mental health', and so on and so on.*

But this thread has nothing to do with Trump or the national deficit!

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
ThePhantomCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #21
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
There's an idiot who posts here regularly. He wrote this, remember?

But this thread has nothing to do with Trump or the national deficit!

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Cause you're reading shit that isn't there. Makes sense.

Trump is the current president, so obviously I used his name for my examples.

But, for the third time, this is about politicians and balancing budgets in general. Don't know how to make that any more clear. If your obsession with Trump won't allow you to discuss realistic budget solutions, then start a thread on him.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #22
bladefd
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
There was a Republican candidate who was actually serious about cutting the deficit who ran for for the nomination in the last election but voters didn't vote for him.

There are many ways the deficit can be reduced. The most effective way in my opinion is to cut spending. The most direct way that has to be done is through representatives in Congress and the President. I don't have any confidence that will happen at this point. Another way is not letting the debt ceiling get suspended or raised higher. (It was recently suspended)

The federal reserve can put the stops on runaway government spending too. By buying government bonds at a rate not matched by any other entity in the world, the federal reserve played a key role in allowing the federal government to borrow without worry. I have long been waiting for Trump's nomination of the new Fed chairman and after knowing who it is now, I am not confident anything will change- it's more of the same.

So the mechanisms are there, it's just too tempting to look good in the short term and not do anything about fixing it in the long term.

What needs to happen is 3-fold. 1 step being short-term cut - something like 5% slash across the whole government, every single program across the board. 5% is not much but it adds up. Then 2nd step being longer term by making program-by-program changes - get rid of some programs or consolidate a few programs into 1 then cut budget a little bit.

3rd step has to be more drastic changes. To the actual system. Medicaid/medicare/subsidies on top of that can all be reeled in through single-payer. Close tax loopholes. Legalize weed (tax it heavily, ofc) and remove people from jail for drug use. Lower military industrial complex spending to just inside $500 billion (from $600 billion). Close a few foreign military bases, such as in Germany and Japan. Quit slashing taxes.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #23
Orlando Magic
NBA All-star

A complete economic collapse is the only thing that will result in an eventually balanced budget. At this point, systemically, it is the only possible outcome that will actually yield change.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #24
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Cut Military spending.

Next question.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #25
falc39
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
What needs to happen is 3-fold. 1 step being short-term cut - something like 5% slash across the whole government, every single program across the board. 5% is not much but it adds up. Then 2nd step being longer term by making program-by-program changes - get rid of some programs or consolidate a few programs into 1 then cut budget a little bit.

3rd step has to be more drastic changes. To the actual system. Medicaid/medicare/subsidies on top of that can all be reeled in through single-payer. Close tax loopholes. Legalize weed (tax it heavily, ofc) and remove people from jail for drug use. Lower military industrial complex spending to just inside $500 billion (from $600 billion). Close a few foreign military bases, such as in Germany and Japan. Quit slashing taxes.

I agree with ~80% of this. I think the legalizing weed and reforming criminal justice system is a no-brainer and the lowest hanging fruit. The majority of the two parties could eventually come to agree with that. All the other stuff, it's gonna be like pulling teeth.

Like others, I remain skeptical. Most people won't support drastic change unless it personally affects them. It's already too late if it gets to that point.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #26
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

You will never cut enough spending. Too many people on both sides with Abilify you. People wonít even take cuts when they know they donít need all they get. Iíve mentioned it before but itís relevant so Iíll do it again....

I know cops who sale surplus ammunition to the public because if they donít use all their gun range ammo they get less next year. They know they donít need it but just the idea of having the supply cut has them out here falsifying records and selling ammunition on the street for profit.

I know people who keep part time jobs forever because their income adjusted rent would go up if they got a full-time job. It would go up by less then their income would increase but they donít care. People turn down better jobs to keep food stamps. Nobody wants to give up anything.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #27
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
You will never cut enough spending. Too many people on both sides with Abilify you. People wonít even take cuts when they know they donít need all they get. Iíve mentioned it before but itís relevant so Iíll do it again....

I know cops who sale surplus ammunition to the public because if they donít use all their gun range ammo they get less next year. They know they donít need it but just the idea of having the supply cut has them out here falsifying records and selling ammunition on the street for profit.

I know people who keep part time jobs forever because their income adjusted rent would go up if they got a full-time job. It would go up by less then their income would increase but they donít care. People turn down better jobs to keep food stamps. Nobody wants to give up anything.

That's how all government agencies work. Near the end of the year, agencies will go on spending sprees and buy useless shit they don't really need simply because if they don't use that money, when the budgets are reviewed the next year, they'll lose that funding.

That's a serious problem and needs to be fixed, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. You would have to seriously scrutinize every government agency starting at the top all the way down.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd

Why the **** this country hasn't legalized weed is beyond me.

That being said, CA legalized weed and then taxed the **** out of it, so people are just going to their local street dealers because its cheaper. Policy makers in CA are getting too greedy, and all they've done is provide MORE power to local dealers because nobody is going to buy an ounce with a 28% tax on top when you can get an ounce delivered to you for much less.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #29
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Why the **** this country hasn't legalized weed is beyond me.

That being said, CA legalized weed and then taxed the **** out of it, so people are just going to their local street dealers because its cheaper. Policy makers in CA are getting too greedy, and all they've done is provide MORE power to local dealers because nobody is going to buy an ounce with a 28% tax on top when you can get an ounce delivered to you for much less.

Local dealers have already been priced out of the market by mass production, and the prices continue to fall. Maybe high school kids still buy from local dealers.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #30
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

"The people opposing us are the same people — and think of this — who’ve wasted $6 trillion on wars in the Middle East — we could have rebuilt our country twice — that have produced only more terrorism, more death, and more suffering – imagine if that money had been spent at home. We’ve spent $6 trillion, lost thousands of lives. You could say hundreds of thousands of lives, because look at the other side also." - Donald Trump in october of 2016
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: