Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #16
elementally morale
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: What happened to Paul George?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
well, how many have done that since the 80's?

Kareem, Magic, Moses, Bird, Isiah, MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, Dirk, Wade, Kobe, James, Durant?

Outlier type runs in 2004, 2005, 2014 in which there was no definite leader.

If Kobe did it, Harden can probably too.

Kobe and Harden are two very different players. They are both ball dominant... and the comparison ends right there. Harden's style of play is unwatchable for me, but I can see he is a very effective player. Just not in the right way somehow. CP3 is someone I have in mind. Good player, ball dominant... but can't win as the best player on the team.

When CP3 comes back the Rockets will be worse. Harden plays stagnant basketball. Hardly plays any defense. He gets assists but the ball doesn't move. And when he doesn't have the ball, Harden himself doesn't move either. He plays the game for fouls and 3 point shots. It won't take him very far.
elementally morale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #17
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementally morale
Kobe and Harden are two very different players. They are both ball dominant... and the comparison ends right there. Harden's style of play is unwatchable for me, but I can see he is a very effective player. Just not in the right way somehow. CP3 is someone I have in mind. Good player, ball dominant... but can't win as the best player on the team.

When CP3 comes back the Rockets will be worse. Harden plays stagnant basketball. Hardly plays any defense. He gets assists but the ball doesn't move. And when he doesn't have the ball, Harden himself doesn't move either. He plays the game for fouls and 3 point shots. It won't take him very far.

you can say that for a lot of high assist individuals' teams, then, except those which have additional ballhandlers/passers. Its just this silly new gimmick modern fans have come up with.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #18
PP34Deuce
NBA lottery pick

When I examine his role, despite him being a better overall player than Melo, he has to make the most sacrifices.

He's the youngest. He's the most versatile. He's the better catch and shoot player.

He hasn't fully embraced a Pippenish type role. For OKC to be successful...

Westbrook needs to do what he does and be a bit better in shooting
Melo has to post, and take his open shots and make them
Paul George has to mask Melo's deficiences defensively and get out in transition with Russ.
PP34Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #19
elementally morale
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
you can say that for a lot of high assist individuals' teams, then, except those which have additional ballhandlers/passers. Its just this silly new gimmick modern fans have come up with.

I don't think so. LeBron has the same disease... and he finds winning quite hard. He got lucky on 2 of those championships. Ray Allen happened and Draymond Green and Curry shitting the bed happened. LeBron is very close to having one ring only.

And LeBron is a MUCH MUCH better player than Harden. He is so good that he is able to win DESPITE his playing style. That's what being top 10 alll time does for you. Harden is nowhere near that level.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
SamuraiSWISH
For the Culture

Quote:
Kobe and Harden are two very different players. They are both ball dominant...
No, there is a difference dude.

Kobe shot a lot. He was also the bail out guy when there was no scoring option on actual plays being run by the entire team. Triangle preaches ball movement.

A ball dominance type is Westbrick, Harden, LeBron, CP3.

Time of possession with the ball nearly strictly in their hands to make decisions the entire time. Thus, more gaudy all around stats but at certain point for their team they become debilitating.
SamuraiSWISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
elementally morale
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

Kobe shot a lot. He was also the bail out guy when there was no scoring option on actual plays being run by the entire team. Triangle preaches ball movement.

Time of possession with the ball nearly strictly in their hands to make decisions the entire time. Thus, more gaudy all around stats but at certain point for their team they become debilitating.

I agree. You worded it better. Kobe didn't hold onto the ball all the time. He made a move. He wasn't as decisive as Jordan and he wasn't as good a decesion maker. (And less of an athlete.) But Kobe played basketball. Harden plays something else... I have no good term for it.. slow-mo basketball with some spurts.... not 1 on 1 or 1 on 5... just a very slow, ugly brand of basketball which makes him look good as far as stats are concerned... but he kills the entire team in the process. (LeBron does the same with higher speed.. and he is a lot better player to begin with.)
Old 11-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #22
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff

Sad to see the way PG plays after he broke his leg

Hes a shell of his former self
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #23
bigkingsfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

https://stats.nba.com/players/touche...gular%20Season

NBA.com actually has this stats. Lebron time of possession wasn't that high with Kyrie or his Miami days. Too bad the stats doesn't go back that far because prime Kobe would be higher.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #24
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
He will never win a ring as the best player on a team. Neither will Westbrook.

I agree with this, but that is true for like every player ever outside of 20 or so.

So I don't see how that is a valid argument unless you are arguing with someone that thinks Paul George or Russ are top 20 or so players ever...which of course they aren't.

Things take some time to work offensively. I still think this Thunder team will be really good, but the offense has been really bad so far.

Defense has been really great so far overall though. That is what I still think is the most important aspect of this team.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #25
ImKobe
From the words of Zeus

He's playing with two guys who are arguably more gifted than him offensively... You saw more production from him in Indy because he had no star-level help on that end so he was forced to do more (which he proved he could).

OKC needs a better coach and a better system, the whole ISO/your turn-my-turn thing is not going to fly in the modern NBA. They would probably be one of the 2 best teams in the league if this was 2003 but in this day and age you need some ball movement.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #26
HylianNightmare
The Magic are a trash

just doesn't look as aggressive

shitty
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #27
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

pretty sure Kobe held the ball more than Bron, especially waited longer to make his move. Weak show off.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #28
loadingthelife
Not airballing my layups anymore

Looking only at statistics he isn't very far from numbers he had in Indiana

loadingthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #29
elementally morale
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
I agree with this, but that is true for like every player ever outside of 20 or so.

So I don't see how that is a valid argument unless you are arguing with someone that thinks Paul George or Russ are top 20 or so players ever...which of course they aren't.

We have some people here who happen to think Harden is better than Kobe ever was or Harden (Westbrook) are better now than LeBron. This is borderline crazy. Of course everyone can and shall have their opinion but to me it sounds wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

Even this watered down version of LeBron is immensely better than Harden or Westbrook can ever dream of being. And I don't like to watch any of them but it's clear as day to me.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #30
PJR
NBA rookie of the year

Russell Westbrook.
PJR is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: