Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Anyone here with sports officiating experience?

Specifically basketball?

It’s tough as hell. I’ve been going through this 10 week/20 class course to get certified to ref high school ball. Have to take two written tests, one of which people often fail on the first try (IAABO). Then have to ref 10 rec league games before I can do high school.

Last week we had our first shot at some practice games by reffing a men’s league. It’s fun and I wanted a way to stay involved with the game as I got older but man it’s tougher than I thought.

Guy who teaches it refs some low level D1 games and his son is in his first year in the G League as a ref. Learning a lot and respecting the job those guys do a lot more.

Anyone here ref, basketball or otherwise?
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
LAmbruh
5* General

Default Re: Anyone here with sports officiating experience?

I was a score counter and PA announcer for 10-12yo AAU games
LAmbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

in middle school i was a score keeper for a few games. back then we had to use a manual score card we would have to flip each digit to change numbers.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
LAmbruh
5* General

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
in middle school i was a score keeper for a few games. back then we had to use a manual score card we would have to flip each digit to change numbers.

haha same, did you have the possession arrow to flip for 50/50 balls to?
LAmbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Rec league refs are a joke for the most part. For every time I get hammered and a foul isn't called, there's another instance of me not getting touched and the whistle blowing and ref saying I was fouled. It's comical but what can you expect for some guys getting paid $25 each to ref the game...
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #6
Pushxx
Pushxx

My dad was a ref in his 20s and it's amazing how many obscure rules he remembers and then he doesn't remember some basic ones like no "over the back" foul.

And yes rec league refs are awful even though I know they're trying...dunno how many times I've gotten away with shit and how many times I get murdered without a call.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:07 AM   #7
qrich
King Heno

Yup, been reffing for a while now, around a decade. Highest level I've done is Community College, but mainly just settle for Rec League/Adult League/AAU. When I move back to AZ, will be getting my high school certification done.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
UK2K
NBA Legend

I officiated middle school and high school basketball when I lived in Houston. So like almost three full seasons.

You're right. It is very hard. I player basketball for nearly two decades but officiating it is an entirely different beast.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
My dad was a ref in his 20s and it's amazing how many obscure rules he remembers and then he doesn't remember some basic ones like no "over the back" foul.

And yes rec league refs are awful even though I know they're trying...dunno how many times I've gotten away with shit and how many times I get murdered without a call.
What’s weird is there is no “over the back” foul. There’s a “pushing” foul, which is generally what’s being called. If you go through the rule book you’ll find everything you’ve ever known was a lie lol.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #10
Pushxx
Pushxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
What’s weird is there is no “over the back” foul. There’s a “pushing” foul, which is generally what’s being called. If you go through the rule book you’ll find everything you’ve ever known was a lie lol.

Yeah that's what my post says actually. My dad didn't remember that there is no such thing as "over the back" even though he remembers other obscure things like crazy 3 second violation exceptions and shit.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: