Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation
Default Why does FX rule television so goddamned much?

I mean, really. FX consistently puts out show after show that is just unbelievably good:

-The Shield
-The Riches
-Rescue Me
-30 Days
-Nip/Tuck (which I'm not a huge fan of, but I can't say it isn't really good)
-It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

And so on, and so on, and so on.

I think "Dirt" is their only big miss. That show sucks.

Even if you want to include HBO in the conversation, I'm not sure if a cable network has such a consistent record for putting simply outstanding shows on the air. And their next show, "Damages" with Glenn Close (who I kinda wish hadn't left "The Shield," but they handled it well in the storyline) lookis outstanding also.

I almost wish Fox had decided to to "Prison Break" on FX. I can't imagine how much better that show- already good- could've been without network TV confines.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why does FX rule television so goddamned much?

Damn, it's scary how many of the same shows we watch. FX does have some damn great programming. The Shield is just consistent quality TV. It's Always Sunny in Philadelpha had me rollin.. shame they don't even air the show anymore.. HBO still takes the cake though. The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sex and the City, Ali G, Entourage are all hit shows. HBO also has The Wire, probably the most underrated show on TV

However, Prison Break and 24 > any combination of shows on any network
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit

That's debatable. NBC has The Office (best show on the local networks after Lost IMO) and Heroes, it's all about what you like more.

Is The Shield that great? I've heard nothing but praise for it but I've never seen an episode.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit
Damn, it's scary how many of the same shows we watch. FX does have some damn great programming. The Shield is just consistent quality TV. It's Always Sunny in Philadelpha had me rollin.. shame they don't even air the show anymore.. HBO still takes the cake though. The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sex and the City, Ali G, Entourage are all hit shows. HBO also has The Wire, probably the most underrated show on TV

It's Always Sunny is coming back sometime this summer, I'm pretty sure.

Quote:
Is The Shield that great? I've heard nothing but praise for it but I've never seen an episode.
I don't want to overhype it, but it's my favorite show ever. Go rent Season 1. If the pilot doesn't get you hooked....I don't know what to tell you. It's one of the few shows I've ever watched that starts out really good......and just keeps getting better and better. Every season really is better than the previous.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
Randy

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414

I don't want to overhype it, but it's my favorite show ever. Go rent Season 1. If the pilot doesn't get you hooked....I don't know what to tell you. It's one of the few shows I've ever watched that starts out really good......and just keeps getting better and better. Every season really is better than the previous.

I'm going to have to rent it now, I've heard too many good things. God damn word of mouth advertising.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

You guys see the premier of Will Traveler? Its a pretty good show and is on wednesdays at 9pm. I am not much of a TV watcher during the summer because I am always doing stuff at night but I will definetly watch this one. The first episode got me hooked.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 AM   #7
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
You guys see the premier of Will Traveler? Its a pretty good show and is on wednesdays at 9pm. I am not much of a TV watcher during the summer because I am always doing stuff at night but I will definetly watch this one. The first episode got me hooked.
It's still kinda bugging me that it seems like a poor man's Prison Break, but through two episodes it still has my attention, so I have every intention of watching the rest of this season. Looks like a helluva show for the summer lineup.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Going back to The Shield, though, I was a bit disappointed in the cliffhanger ending to Season 6 last night. Fantastic episode, but dammit, I wanted some sort of closure on either Vic v. Shane or the San Marcos murders.

But far be it from me to question the writers of The Shield; the San Marcos is one of those long-term, multiple season storylines, like the Armeniens in the first three seasons. I think the Vic/Shane thing was done too soon and is gonna be too drawn out; it just doesn't seem plausible, given Vic's history, for him to sit and wait this long to end it. It probably won't be until the series finale that he finishes Shane, and that'll have been 1 1/2 seasons of that storyline if that's the case.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan

Man, that show is hot, I still have both episodes on Tivo from last week. There's just too much stuff going on for you not to want to watch it. I'm still waiting to find out what was up with the black dude who helped them escape the Feds. I just hope it catches on because Daybreak seemed like a good show too but it tanked.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean77
Man, that show is hot, I still have both episodes on Tivo from last week. There's just too much stuff going on for you not to want to watch it. I'm still waiting to find out what was up with the black dude who helped them escape the Feds. I just hope it catches on because Daybreak seemed like a good show too but it tanked.

What network? Hopefully it's ABC so I can go watch the episodes free online like Lost (best show on TV).
Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yes, Lost is my favorite show at the moment. I was pissed when they killed off Ecko or however you spell his name.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:51 AM   #12
hippos
Banned

hippos has decent reputation

HBO is better just because of Entourage and Rome alone. I don't care about the other shows like The Sapranos.

Rome really was my favourite show this season (more than Prison Break, Heroes, 24, Entourage, Office, etc). Much better than season 1.
hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #13
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I'm going to have to rent it now, I've heard too many good things. God damn word of mouth advertising.
with the sheild don't cheat, start with season 1 there is a running story line that underlays every season and if you start at 3 or something you'll be wondering what the eff is going on... hands down may favorite show ever.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #14
proof
Banned

proof has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Going back to The Shield, though, I was a bit disappointed in the cliffhanger ending to Season 6 last night. Fantastic episode, but dammit, I wanted some sort of closure on either Vic v. Shane or the San Marcos murders.

But far be it from me to question the writers of The Shield; the San Marcos is one of those long-term, multiple season storylines, like the Armeniens in the first three seasons. I think the Vic/Shane thing was done too soon and is gonna be too drawn out; it just doesn't seem plausible, given Vic's history, for him to sit and wait this long to end it. It probably won't be until the series finale that he finishes Shane, and that'll have been 1 1/2 seasons of that storyline if that's the case.

I love the shield. I think this season hasnt been that good, until this past episode. It went back on track. I cant wait till tuesday and Shane finds out that Vic isnt leaving. Also, I heard theres 1 more season left after this one.
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #15
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippos
HBO is better just because of Entourage and Rome alone. I don't care about the other shows like The Sapranos.

Rome really was my favourite show this season (more than Prison Break, Heroes, 24, Entourage, Office, etc). Much better than season 1.

Entourage has not been good, it's been putting me to sleep lately. The predictable and rehashed plot, dialogue, and characters are really driving me away. The last three episodes of Season 3 were great but all of the rest were utter crap.

I knew they would bring back Billy Walsh, and being one of my favorite characters, I was uber excited but they've made him more ******* and now he's just pissing me off. I'm looking forward to Ep. 1 S. 4, as it takes place on location in Bogota, if they fail at this episode I'll probably end up drifting away from the series.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: