Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Chocogrease
Serious playground baller

Default Dribbling and looking

Anyone got any tips to help people dribble without looking down??

When i do crossovers looking up, i start to lose my dribble and trip myself kinda
Chocogrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
KOBEinSD24
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: Dribbling and looking

practicin ur handles
KOBEinSD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

practice, practice and practice.

practice dribbling while you are blindfolded.

Good luck. :)
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:33 AM   #4
trig
Decent college freshman

search maravich in youtube. he has a lot of passing and dribling drills.

basically, you practice basic dribling w/o looking first. drible w/ your dominant hand w/o looking. then your other hand. if your already good at it, try dribling the ball from left to ryt w/o looking. Unless you can do this fundamentals, dont bother trying crossovers. its a waste of time.

And when making crossovers while looking at the ball, it will be so easy to steal the ball
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Hoopla
I airball my layups

You should try to visualise where the ball is, even when looking up. If you feel like you know where the ball is at all times you'll be far less likely to trip yourself up
__________________________________________________ _________

Double Your Playing Time, Increase Your Confidence and Triple Your Chances For Getting In The NBA
http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...an-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
www.best-basketball-tips.com
Hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
JJ81
Good college starter

Just practice on your own whenever you get the chance. It will come.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Seneca_22
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Got to practice your dribbling so that the ball is a part of your hand. Dribbling should be automatic, like breathing. It's not something you should have to think about, or have to see to know that you're doing it. Once you get that down, you can start working on looking up, but you have to put in the work.

Our coach used to make us where those old school safety goggles, the ones that kind of stuck out of your face when you put them on. He would tape up the bottom so you couldn't look down w/your eyes. You would have to put your head down to look down, and that gave you away right there.

In addition to the goggles being on, we also had to wear these cloth gloves that didn't give our hands any traction on the ball and do one ball and two ball dribble drills. It helped tho, cuz once you took off the goggles and gloves, you felt like you had all the handles in the world. There were guys who could still do everything they wanted with the goggles and gloves on.

Put in the work, because dribbling with your head down is a big no no and will just get you bench time.
Seneca_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
PistolPete
The Pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
search maravich in youtube. he has a lot of passing and dribling drills.

basically, you practice basic dribling w/o looking first. drible w/ your dominant hand w/o looking. then your other hand. if your already good at it, try dribling the ball from left to ryt w/o looking. Unless you can do this fundamentals, dont bother trying crossovers. its a waste of time.

And when making crossovers while looking at the ball, it will be so easy to steal the ball

This is an old topic, but this is true about Maravich. There are free instructional videos of his on Youtube that are simple and unique. Probably the easiest thing to remember is that the ball will always bounce back up to you. Get that stuck in your head and you should be successful.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #9
bumpyknucks
High School Varsity 12th Man

If you´re really desperate, check out this dribbling glasses.....they just block your vision so you cant look even if you want to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BASKETBALL-DRIBB...3286.m20.l1116
bumpyknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
PistolPete
The Pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpyknucks
If you´re really desperate, check out this dribbling glasses.....they just block your vision so you cant look even if you want to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BASKETBALL-DRIBB...3286.m20.l1116

Wow those look silly as all hell, but I guess if they work, they work. Make sure if you're going to wear these though, that no one else is in the vicinity.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Cabbage
Thugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ81
Just practice on your own whenever you get the chance. It will come.

Practice? You talkin bout pratice?
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
r1kk12
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocogrease
Anyone got any tips to help people dribble without looking down??

When i do crossovers looking up, i start to lose my dribble and trip myself kinda

i posted this on anutha thread - called dribbling drills.

Stand in a squat like position and do the following, keeping ur butt low and ur back straight.

1. Roll the ball with your right hand around your right leg, keeping it as close to ur foot as possible. Do the same with your left and then also do a figure of eight. Remember to keep your feet in the same position, simply shifting ur bodyweight to stay balanced.
2. Do the same as above but bouncing the ball. Keep the ball bouncing below knee height.
3. Cross the ball three times across the front of you from hand to hand. On the fourth, pass the ball between your legs to the opposite hand which should be behind you. Cross the ball three times again in front of you and repeat with the other hand. Remember to keep the ball below knee height at all times.
4. Cross the ball behind your back, making sure the ball bounces directly under ur bum and never rises above knee level.lol
5. Spider dribble. This is bouncing the ball underneath you and below your knee. You must touch the ball once with ur right hand in front of you. Then left hand in front of you. Then right hand from behind you, and then left hand behind you.
6. Using one hand cross the ball back and forth across your body in front of you making sure the ball stays low. Do this behind you as well.
7. Put your feet together. Using one hand 'cross' the ball on the side of your body, bakwards and fowards.
8. With your feet together, crouch down and pass the ball from hand to hand around your ankles. Gradually stand up, continuing to pass the ball first around your waist, and then around your head. Do this in both directions.

Then try doing all the above keeping your head up, and then with your eyes completely shut.
Then try doing all the above whilst moving foward and backwards taking small shuffle steps.
Then all the above with eyes shut and moving.

On the Floor:
1. Kneel on one knee on the floor. Pass the ball under ur other leg using both hands as quick as possible. Once you can do this consistently, after every three crosses cross the ball over your knee and back under so the ball returns to the same hand.
2. Sit on the floor with ur legs out and spread apart. Bounce the ball as low as possible with your right hand on your right side. Every 30 seconds or so, bounce the ball once between your legs and onto the other side and continue bouncing the ball with your left hand.

Try doing the above with yuor eyes shut.

Using a wall:

1. Stand facing a wall. Put one foot against the wall and the other a few feet comfortably behind you. Crouch down. Place one hand on the wall and hold the ball with the other. Cross the ball between your legs touching the wall with your free hand. Increase your speed as you get into a rhythm.
2. Bounce the ball against the wall with your right hand whilst crouching down. Gradually stand up, and then crouch down, keeping the ball in close control at all times. After going up and down a few times change to your left hand, keeping the ball bouncing, and continue.

Then try doing the above with your eyes shut.

There are a lot more drills but i find these to be the most useful.
I'm sure theres a lot of people on here who think all the above is pretty basic, but doing this everyday until you can do it at speed with your eyes shut will improve your handles dramaticaly. Not just for show, but in-game and when you have to improvise.

Wow..this took a while to type.. hope its useful.. lol.. happy ballin...
r1kk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
Dresta
BANNED!!!!

It's just repitition tbhm try to keep your dribble fairly low as well.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
GiveItToBurrito

Just practice, really. Make sure you're low to the ground, too, kind of like AI, since most of the people I play against have this bad habit of standing up too straight when they're dribbling. I'm usually low enough that my finger tips are about a foot from the ground, and it's definitely made it a lot easier to go back and forth with the crossover, plus it's easier to do shoulder fakes.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla
You should try to visualise where the ball is, even when looking up. If you feel like you know where the ball is at all times you'll be far less likely to trip yourself up
__________________________________________________ _________

Double Your Playing Time, Increase Your Confidence and Triple Your Chances For Getting In The NBA
http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...an-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
www.best-basketball-tips.com

Dude speaks the truth. Just try as much as possible to keep your head up but imagine that "hey, this ball is gon' gilde to my other hand like a hot butter through knife... or is it the other way around?". Anyway, aside from that, just keep working on it. Even just standing while dribbling the ball hard from one hand to the other will help you greatly.

Last edited by NotYetGreat : 06-23-2009 at 12:17 AM.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: