Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
StrongLurk
StrongLaker

Default Kyrie is underrated as a first option

Great overall scoring ability and can score efficiently from everywhere.

The MOST underrated part of his game is keeping his turnovers low.

He kind of reminds me of MJ in that regard with always being in control of his game. Sure Kyrie only gets 5 assists a game but it's still impressive only averaging 2.3 turnovers.
StrongLurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
NBAGOAT
College superstar

Default Re: Kyrie is underrated as a first option

i dont think he's a top 5 player but if he keeps it up, he'll be top 5 in the mvp race
NBAGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Jacks3
Very good NBA starter

Funny how he is having the best and most efficient season of his career immediately after leaving LBJ. Where are all the bronsexuals who were discrediting him because he had LeBron to "take pressure off him" and "allow him to go one on one" and the rest of that nonsense? LMAO.
Jacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
ShawkFactory
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks3
Funny how he is having the best and most efficient season of his career immediately after leaving LBJ. Where are all the bronsexuals who were discrediting him because he had LeBron to "take pressure off him" and "allow him to go one on one" and the rest of that nonsense? LMAO.
If we're going purely by numbers Kyrie was better last year than he has been so far this year.

He's playing exactly how anyone with a brain knew he would. I honestly thought he'd be a 27-28 PPG guy as the #1 option. Which very well may still happen.

But his last year with Bron was a 25/6 season. Pretty damn good.

The funniest narrative I've ever seen is that Lebron holds people back. He doesn't.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Docs Orders
Grandpa's Crib

Quote:

His numbers are nearly identical to last seasons, still an ISO non play making scorer

His defense has been just as awful also, gave up 22pts to Rubio the other night
Docs Orders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Akrazotile
Banned

I mean it’s the regular season tho. A lot of guys can do some things here and there and put little runs together.

The playoffs are where guys really get measured - if you know what I mean. We know Bron can go deep af, into the playoffs without ‘Ree. Now we’ll find out if the opposite is true.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
Dray n Klay
Banned

Honestly, none of this matters unless he takes the Celtics to the Finals

Considering the Celtics made it to the ECF without him last year.
Dray n Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #8
scuzzy
Banned

Cavs are about to be 1st seed in the East without Kyrie or the guy they traded him for, that just shows you how impactful he was to them

People seem to underrate this fact
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
MiseryCityTexas
College star

Kyrie's pre Lebron cavs weren't even that bad back in the day. Yeah they lost a lot, but Irving's below 500 cavs did upset a lot of 500 play-off teams in them four regular seasons Kyrie played on the Cavs by himself........
MiseryCityTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #10
CTbasketball92
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
If we're going purely by numbers Kyrie was better last year than he has been so far this year.

He's playing exactly how anyone with a brain knew he would. I honestly thought he'd be a 27-28 PPG guy as the #1 option. Which very well may still happen.

But his last year with Bron was a 25/6 season. Pretty damn good.

The funniest narrative I've ever seen is that Lebron holds people back. He doesn't.

Mehh. Kyrie's true shooting percentage is two percentage points better so far, and as he becomes encouraged to take more threes (probably out of necessity), that number will go up. Also, Kyrie had 11 30 point games all regular season last year. He's got 12 now and the season isn't even half way done.

He's averaging about 29 ppg on 4.5/3 on 48/46/93 on like 66 TS% over his last 20 games or so, and there's a decent chance he's able to get to over 26 ppg a game this year, with all the cutting and catch-and-shoot options he gets every game. Last year, he wasn't helped as much scoring by LeBron's presence as I thought. If you're truly elite at something, but you're a ball-dominant player, I don't think LeBron makes you better; you just maintain your stats, roughly.

As for the forum thread, I think i definitely underrated him. He's been a flat-out scoring machine this month, and he's now entered the sort of realm just below the Stephen Curry's, KD's, LeBron's and Harden's of the world as a scorer.

If you look at his per 36 numbers, he's averaging like 28 ppg/5 apg on 60+ TS% and barely any turnovers. Without the game he left after two minutes because of energy, Kyrie's averaging closer to 26 points a gme this year in about 33 minutes per game. Definitely putting himself into a bonafied elite first option scorer territory, just as a lot of people suspected he could be.

He's averaging a bit less than 5 assists per game, but the celtics shot a miserable 38% from the field tonight, and, without Jaylen Brown (tonight) and Marcus Morris, and then only having Jayson Tatum, and a third-option at best scorer in Horford, you're looking at a very poor offensive base. With Brown and Morris some of these problems will go away, though.
CTbasketball92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #11
Jacks3
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawkFactory

He's playing exactly how anyone with a brain knew he would .

Dead wrong. He's currently at career highs in TS, OBPM, BPM, PER, WS, WS48, and ORTG. And often by signifant margins. Stop with the revisionist history. The stuff I mentioned about the Lebron/Irving dynamic was absolutely the popular narrative among the NBA community and especially among the Bronsexuals. Of course it was dumb as **** considering he was MORE efficient on higher volume with LeBum on the bench from 15-17, but Stans will be Stans. As for your last point...no, lebron making other stars better is the biggest myth in sports.
Jacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #12
MrFonzworth
Data Pagan

Quote:
Dead wrong. He's currently at career highs in TS, OBPM, BPM, PER, WS, WS48, and ORTG. And often by signifant margins. Stop with the revisionist history. The stuff I mentioned about the Lebron/Irving dynamic was absolutely the popular narrative among the NBA community and especially among the Bronsexuals. Of course it was dumb as **** considering he was MORE efficient on higher volume with LeBum on the bench from 15-17, but Stans will be Stans. As for your last point...no, lebron making other stars better is the biggest myth in sports.
What a meltdown
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:02 AM   #13
tpols
we already won

Quote:

Yup...he actually gets better looks on Boston...when did you see him be the recipient of back door cut layups and the such all the time with Cleveland? I just looked it up.kyries getting assisted on 30% of his 2pt field goals this year up from 22% average with the caves , and his only taking spotup corner 3s 14% of the time, down from 20% with caves. It turns out...Irving is BETTER when given more freebie 2pt opportunities rather than spotup 3s..that's why his efficiency is up across the board.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:05 AM   #14
aj1987
MH!

Quote:
Using all those metrics you posted, LeBron just takes a massive steaming shit on Brick in the RS, PO's, and Finals.

Also, Kyrie's best season with the Cavs was last year and the guy played a TOTAL of 46 minutes without LeBron. Had a -0.043% eFG% in those 46 minutes. One lineup with 36 minutes in '15, in which he was -0.014%, 32 minutes in the 2nd lineup with -0.083%, and the third one with 29 minutes and +0.043. That works out to a negative overall without LeBron. In '15, he played 78 minutes in a lineup without LeBron and was -0.047% and in the other one, dude played 64 minutes and was +0.136. So, in total, LeBron was only more efficient without LeBron for a total of 64 mintues in '15 and that, I'm assuming, was primarily when LeBron was out and Kyrie dropped 55 against Portland.
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:13 AM   #15
ImKobe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1987
Using all those metrics you posted, LeBron just takes a massive steaming shit on Brick in the RS, PO's, and Finals.

Also, Kyrie's best season with the Cavs was last year and the guy played a TOTAL of 46 minutes without LeBron. Had a -0.043% eFG% in those 46 minutes. One lineup with 36 minutes in '15, in which he was -0.014%, 32 minutes in the 2nd lineup with -0.083%, and the third one with 29 minutes and +0.043. That works out to a negative overall without LeBron. In '15, he played 78 minutes in a lineup without LeBron and was -0.047% and in the other one, dude played 64 minutes and was +0.136. So, in total, LeBron was only more efficient without LeBron for a total of 64 mintues in '15 and that, I'm assuming, was primarily when LeBron was out and Kyrie dropped 55 against Portland.

So the point is that you're full of shit and can't keep Kobe's name out of your mouth in any thread you post. There was no sample-size before this season to prove that Kyrie was better or worse off without Lebron because using his pre-prime numbers would not be a fair comparison (though it was obvious that Lebron would hold his own production back which is why his numbers did not change much from his younger years).

Kyrie can put up 25 points a night in his sleep but he needed the right team around him. Boston allows him to get more rest and he's in an actual system now, the Lebron Ball was cute and all but it was basically Irving standing around for most of the game and watching Lebron dribble until the team really needed him to score, it was mostly always about getting Kevin Love going early and then Lebron Ball with Irving as their safety blanket.

Kyrie will continue to improve his numbers and he'll have a solid MVP case by the end of the year.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: