Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
Poetry
Local High School Star

Unhappy Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. That's the lowest average for a league leader in blocks ever recorded. Durant is 2nd in the league with 2.15 per game.

Only 7 times in recorded NBA history has the league leader averaged less than 3 blocks per game. All 7 of those occurred in the last ten years.

https://www.basketball-reference.com..._g_top_10.html
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
MrFonzworth
Mr. Triple Double

Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Block tallies are meaningless nowadays. NOBODY under the age of 35 gives a ****. /thread.
MrFonzworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #3
Poetry
Local High School Star

Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
Block tallies are meaningless nowadays. NOBODY under the age of 35 gives a ****. /thread.
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Consequences of the excessive 3-point attempts and zero knowledge of post play today
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:58 AM   #5
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...

Yeah I’ve noticed blocks have been declining. It’s because of teams spamming 3s so much (3s are by far the best kind of jumpshot to take don’t get me wrong).

Also Gobert has been injured remember
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:12 AM   #6
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff

Weakest era in NBA history for bigs...

Doesnt help that the only big men worth a shit are injury prone... Whiteside, Gobert, and Anthony Davis
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:15 AM   #7
E_Stamkos
//////////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Consequences of the excessive 3-point attempts and zero knowledge of post play today

Pretty much this.

When you've got middle of the pack players like Allen Crabbe who have the liberty to jack 10+ 3's on any given game, you're gunna see a deflation in such statistical categories. I presume it's only going to get 'worse'

Is it evolution or regression though?
E_Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:17 AM   #8
ImKobe
From the words of Zeus

KD is 2nd and he's been protecting the rim at all costs to where he's on a poster every night... The 3-point shooting has really killed the impact the bigs used to have on D.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Stamkos
Pretty much this.

When you've got middle of the pack players like Allen Crabbe who have the liberty to jack 10+ 3's on any given game, you're gunna see a deflation in such statistical categories. I presume it's only going to get 'worse'

Is it evolution or regression though?

Dont know but i still canīt get fully used to this modern style of play. Back then bigs would draw double teams and kick the ball out for the 3-point shooters (atleast the 90s) now threes are shot directly with defenses that arent allowed to defend cause of the handchecking rules. I miss the old game. I wanna see teams like the Spurs with great ball movement, post players and the ocasional three: not every play being a three attempt.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #10
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...

I’m a “modern” NBA fan but I would like to see more variety and less 3PT spamming. However the 3pter is such a broken shot given the way the game is played and referred isn’t it?
Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 AM   #11
yeaaaman
National High School Star

Quote:

Exactly. The game isn't being played at the rim anymore.
yeaaaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:52 AM   #12
E_Stamkos
//////////////////////

Quote:
Dont know but i still canīt get fully used to this modern style of play. Back then bigs would draw double teams and kick the ball out for the 3-point shooters (atleast the 90s) now threes are shot directly with defenses that arent allowed to defend cause of the handchecking rules. I miss the old game. I wanna see teams like the Spurs with great ball movement, post players and the ocasional three: not every play being a three attempt.

You and me both brother.

That Spurs win against the Heat might be the last true example of that beautiful form of basketball actually winning it all for the next little while. I'm a total purist at heat myself.
Seeing teams hoist 50+ 3's is not a super enchanting brand of ball to me

Seeing a big, dominate in the paint with an array of post moves is a thing of beauty to me. Even as recent as watching Rasheed eat up the younger players with his back towards them. It was poetic.

A fusion of kick in's and kick out's + ball movement.... Blissful

I hear you loud and clear man.
E_Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #13
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Stamkos
You and me both brother.

That Spurs win against the Heat might be the last true example of that beautiful form of basketball actually winning it all for the next little while. I'm a total purist at heat myself.
Seeing teams hoist 50+ 3's is not a super enchanting brand of ball to me

Seeing a big, dominate in the paint with an array of post moves is a thing of beauty to me. Even as recent as watching Rasheed eat up the younger players with his back towards them. It was poetic.

A fusion of kick in's and kick out's + ball movement.... Blissful

I hear you loud and clear man.
Embiid doe.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #14
3ball
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
KD is 2nd and he's been protecting the rim at all costs to where he's on a poster every night... The 3-point shooting has really killed the impact the bigs used to have on D.
Exactly

Bigs must defend threes and high screen rollls on every possession, which forces them to defend quick guards as a standard - it's a huge mismatch and advantage for the guards..

So the advantages for guards in today's game is evident:
- constant mismatches with bigs on the perimeter

- rebounds are a free-for-all because bigs are away from the rim more often.. And also more long rebs

- hands-free perimeter defense (no hand-checking)

- wider driving lanes from spacing/3-pointers

The result is perimeter players putting up better stats and triple doubles than ever before.

Also, with bigs not contesting as many shots or as tightly as before, today's at-rim percentages are inflated

Last edited by 3ball : 12-22-2017 at 02:02 AM.
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #15
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
I wanna see teams like the Spurs with great ball movement, post players and the ocasional three: not every play being a three attempt.

You see it in college basketball, too. Kids are growing up emulating Curry. If you have range, you don't even need to pass it to an open shooter. Just pull up anytime you have space.
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: