Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
Poetry
Local High School Star
 
Poetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,579
Unhappy Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. That's the lowest average for a league leader in blocks ever recorded. Durant is 2nd in the league with 2.15 per game.

Only 7 times in recorded NBA history has the league leader averaged less than 3 blocks per game. All 7 of those occurred in the last ten years.



https://www.basketball-reference.com..._g_top_10.html
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:44 AM   #2
MrFonzworth
Mr. Triple Double
 
MrFonzworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 5,928
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Block tallies are meaningless nowadays. NOBODY under the age of 35 gives a ****. /thread.
MrFonzworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #3
Poetry
Local High School Star
 
Poetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,579
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
Block tallies are meaningless nowadays. NOBODY under the age of 35 gives a ****. /thread.
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,723
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Consequences of the excessive 3-point attempts and zero knowledge of post play today
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:58 AM   #5
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...On the Young
Posts: 21,139
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Yeah I’ve noticed blocks have been declining. It’s because of teams spamming 3s so much (3s are by far the best kind of jumpshot to take don’t get me wrong).

Also Gobert has been injured remember
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:12 AM   #6
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff
 
FreezingTsmoove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,935
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Weakest era in NBA history for bigs...

Doesnt help that the only big men worth a shit are injury prone... Whiteside, Gobert, and Anthony Davis
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:15 AM   #7
E_Stamkos
//////////////////////
 
E_Stamkos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,177
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Consequences of the excessive 3-point attempts and zero knowledge of post play today

Pretty much this.

When you've got middle of the pack players like Allen Crabbe who have the liberty to jack 10+ 3's on any given game, you're gunna see a deflation in such statistical categories. I presume it's only going to get 'worse'

Is it evolution or regression though?
E_Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:17 AM   #8
ImKobe
From the words of Zeus
 
ImKobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 14,516
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

KD is 2nd and he's been protecting the rim at all costs to where he's on a poster every night... The 3-point shooting has really killed the impact the bigs used to have on D.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,723
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Stamkos
Pretty much this.

When you've got middle of the pack players like Allen Crabbe who have the liberty to jack 10+ 3's on any given game, you're gunna see a deflation in such statistical categories. I presume it's only going to get 'worse'

Is it evolution or regression though?

Dont know but i still canīt get fully used to this modern style of play. Back then bigs would draw double teams and kick the ball out for the 3-point shooters (atleast the 90s) now threes are shot directly with defenses that arent allowed to defend cause of the handchecking rules. I miss the old game. I wanna see teams like the Spurs with great ball movement, post players and the ocasional three: not every play being a three attempt.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #10
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...On the Young
Posts: 21,139
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

I’m a “modern” NBA fan but I would like to see more variety and less 3PT spamming. However the 3pter is such a broken shot given the way the game is played and referred isn’t it?
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 AM   #11
yeaaaman
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,056
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Consequences of the excessive 3-point attempts and zero knowledge of post play today

Exactly. The game isn't being played at the rim anymore.
yeaaaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:52 AM   #12
E_Stamkos
//////////////////////
 
E_Stamkos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,177
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Dont know but i still canīt get fully used to this modern style of play. Back then bigs would draw double teams and kick the ball out for the 3-point shooters (atleast the 90s) now threes are shot directly with defenses that arent allowed to defend cause of the handchecking rules. I miss the old game. I wanna see teams like the Spurs with great ball movement, post players and the ocasional three: not every play being a three attempt.

You and me both brother.

That Spurs win against the Heat might be the last true example of that beautiful form of basketball actually winning it all for the next little while. I'm a total purist at heat myself.
Seeing teams hoist 50+ 3's is not a super enchanting brand of ball to me

Seeing a big, dominate in the paint with an array of post moves is a thing of beauty to me. Even as recent as watching Rasheed eat up the younger players with his back towards them. It was poetic.

A fusion of kick in's and kick out's + ball movement.... Blissful

I hear you loud and clear man.
E_Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #13
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...
 
RRR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...On the Young
Posts: 21,139
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Stamkos
You and me both brother.

That Spurs win against the Heat might be the last true example of that beautiful form of basketball actually winning it all for the next little while. I'm a total purist at heat myself.
Seeing teams hoist 50+ 3's is not a super enchanting brand of ball to me

Seeing a big, dominate in the paint with an array of post moves is a thing of beauty to me. Even as recent as watching Rasheed eat up the younger players with his back towards them. It was poetic.

A fusion of kick in's and kick out's + ball movement.... Blissful

I hear you loud and clear man.
Embiid doe.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #14
3ball
NBA Superstar
 
3ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14,810
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
KD is 2nd and he's been protecting the rim at all costs to where he's on a poster every night... The 3-point shooting has really killed the impact the bigs used to have on D.
Exactly

Bigs must defend threes and high screen rollls on every possession, which forces them to defend quick guards as a standard - it's a huge mismatch and advantage for the guards..

So the advantages for guards in today's game is evident:
- constant mismatches with bigs on the perimeter

- rebounds are a free-for-all because bigs are away from the rim more often.. And also more long rebs

- hands-free perimeter defense (no hand-checking)

- wider driving lanes from spacing/3-pointers

The result is perimeter players putting up better stats and triple doubles than ever before.

Also, with bigs not contesting as many shots or as tightly as before, today's at-rim percentages are inflated
.

Last edited by 3ball : 12-22-2017 at 02:02 AM.
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 AM   #15
Marchesk
El Sid Stan
 
Marchesk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,666
Default Re: Myles Turner is the NBA leader in blocks with 2.32 per game. Lowest EVER on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
I wanna see teams like the Spurs with great ball movement, post players and the ocasional three: not every play being a three attempt.

You see it in college basketball, too. Kids are growing up emulating Curry. If you have range, you don't even need to pass it to an open shooter. Just pull up anytime you have space.
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy