Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Snow
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Damn. LA looks like a 3rd world country

Or even worse. Like some shanty town in doomed Europe. I know the gap between the haves and the have nots in California are the worst in the nation but this is ridiculous.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khpl3JCrtUg

Longer version

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fsfwo6R-Y
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
falc39
Local High School Star

Default Re: Damn. LA looks like a 3rd world country

I never understood the draw of LA. Aesthetically, out of all the non-3rd world top tier cities, it has to be the ugliest by far. Miles and miles of concrete sprawl. Terrain is like a desert with ugly natural vegetation (minus the beaches). Of the artificial landscaping, none of it really matches or has any consistency (same with the architecture). Dreadful traffic. Other than being obsessed with Disneyland or being involved with the movie industry, why would people choose to live there?
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
Patrick Chewing
#MAGA #TIGERBLOOD

If you watch the new Netflix movie "Bright", you'll see what L.A. will soon turn into if it hasn't already.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

A product of democrat voters. The leftist dream of no middle class. Few rich and mass squalor.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Nash
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
A product of democrat voters. The leftist dream of no middle class. Few rich and mass squalor.
yeah sure, as if places like Texas don't look like that or even worse.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

Quote:
Originally Posted by senelcoolidge

if it wernt for democrats, there would be more of these people and they would be turning to crime for survival.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Patrick Chewing
#MAGA #TIGERBLOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
if it wernt for democrats, there would be more of these people and they would be turning to crime for survival.

If you're gonna troll, at least troll with some facts. You can't say this when you know full well cities like L.A. and Detroit have looked like this for years and for years they have been run by Democrats.

Look at cities with the highest crime rates too. Democrat, Democrat, Democrat.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
If you're gonna troll, at least troll with some facts. You can't say this when you know full well cities like L.A. and Detroit have looked like this for years and for years they have been run by Democrats.

Look at cities with the highest crime rates too. Democrat, Democrat, Democrat.

yes, cities like LA, NEW YORK and CHICAGO, are the most populated dense cities in the U.S, they have to deal with a large number of homelessness and the poor. but why dont you include the pros of these cities to gauge? these cities bring more jobs, more money, more technology, more schooling, more talents, more competition on the world stage then your little conservative town with no homeless or crime. without these cities, america isnt really america.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #9
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
I never understood the draw of LA. Aesthetically, out of all the non-3rd world top tier cities, it has to be the ugliest by far. Miles and miles of concrete sprawl. Terrain is like a desert with ugly natural vegetation (minus the beaches). Of the artificial landscaping, none of it really matches or has any consistency (same with the architecture). Dreadful traffic. Other than being obsessed with Disneyland or being involved with the movie industry, why would people choose to live there?

Hardly any of this makes any sense.

Miles and miles of concrete sprawl?

A. Aren't most major cities exactly this? NYC, Chicago, Toronto, etc.etc.
B. Even then, that's not true. L.A. has various styles of architecture drawing from multiple influences everywhere you look.

Artificial landscaping? Those are natural palm trees, lakes, mountains, oceans, hills etc.

I agree, traffic sucks. But it's the same in almost every major city.

Why would anyone want to live in L.A.?

Weather, entertainment, jobs, location

You can go to the mountains and the beach in an hour's drive. You can hang out by the pier for lunch, go out to dinner on the peninsula, go to a 5 star restaurant or a great hole in the wall. Shopping in Melrose, hiking at Griffith Park, museums, galleries ranging from the best art has to offer to the odd and weird.

There's not just Hollywood but tons of job opportunities in other industries such as the aerospace industry, manufacturing, ports, tech, medical, hospitality, etc. L.A. has one of the biggest economies in the world, it's not solely based in Hollywood.

Long Beach alone is worthy of praise.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
plowking
Verticle?

After just visiting recently, it was shocking to see so many areas similar to that. Obviously skid row is the worst part, but I remember when first landing in LA, and getting an uber to our hotel... I mean, the conditions of some neighbourhoods was what you'd expect of third world Asian countries or poorer parts of Latin America.

Even Hollywood was a dump. The beautiful parts are some of the best in the world. But the worst are really bad.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
falc39
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923

Hardly any of this makes any sense.

Miles and miles of concrete sprawl?

A. Aren't most major cities exactly this? NYC, Chicago, Toronto, etc.etc.
B. Even then, that's not true. L.A. has various styles of architecture drawing from multiple influences everywhere you look.

Artificial landscaping? Those are natural palm trees, lakes, mountains, oceans, hills etc.

I agree, traffic sucks. But it's the same in almost every major city.

Why would anyone want to live in L.A.?

Weather, entertainment, jobs, location

You can go to the mountains and the beach in an hour's drive. You can hang out by the pier for lunch, go out to dinner on the peninsula, go to a 5 star restaurant or a great hole in the wall. Shopping in Melrose, hiking at Griffith Park, museums, galleries ranging from the best art has to offer to the odd and weird.

There's not just Hollywood but tons of job opportunities in other industries such as the aerospace industry, manufacturing, ports, tech, medical, hospitality, etc. L.A. has one of the biggest economies in the world, it's not solely based in Hollywood.

Long Beach alone is worthy of praise.

Artificial isn't probably the best word to describe what I was thinking. I meant that so much of the landscaping seemed imported and didn't fit the terrain. Much like the architecture, which has no consistency either.

I was there for Thanksgiving this year and the weather was nearly 90 degrees. I guess some people like that and consider it good weather but I just wanted out. It felt barren and desolate. It's probably better if you are near the coast but I had to spend most of my time in the central areas. It just doesn't come off as a well planned city.

Korea town was nice, but every major world class city has good food and is expected to have a good economy.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
coin24
5-time NBA All-Star

Whoever said Texas lol, it's much nicer to visit than ghetto shithole LA...
At least they tidied up downtown a little bit near staples. Hollywood is a disgusting mess..

San Fran, LA, NY, Chicago and New Orleans are some of worst levels of homeless I've seen..

Check out the Netflix series called dope, shows a lot of the problems in the states
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Rich or Poor... No middle ground.

coming soon to a city near you.

Hope that's never the case... but it could happen sooner than we expect.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:05 AM   #14
scuzzy
from Shrimp to Pimp

LA is trash, but that video is of skid row, a notorious homeless zone in it.

It's funny how much LA has changed, south central property value has exploded. 400k to own a small home in Compton nowadays. Meanwhile Hollywood has turned into a junkie slum LOL

Any city south of Long Beach is dope: Huntington Beach, Newport, Corona Del Mar (where Kobe/Celebs live), Dana Point and of course San Diego which is top knotch
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #15
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

LA has become a joke. I fly direct and I have to time it so that I don't arrive during peak traffic. I do enjoy the view along the coast on my drive from LAX to Dana Point while the rest of the morons take I-405 S.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: