Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-28-2017, 01:04 AM   #16
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Default Re: Damn. LA looks like a 3rd world country

I'm convinced that dudes that complain about LA are certified homosexuals...LA has the best hot chicks to ugly broads ratio in the US, easy. Any bro with any kind of game can bag a honey out of his league like it ain't a thing...why would you hate on that unless you prefer cawk

OP, how does it feel to finally come out of the closet?
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 AM   #17
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
Artificial isn't probably the best word to describe what I was thinking. I meant that so much of the landscaping seemed imported and didn't fit the terrain. Much like the architecture, which has no consistency either.

I was there for Thanksgiving this year and the weather was nearly 90 degrees. I guess some people like that and consider it good weather but I just wanted out. It felt barren and desolate. It's probably better if you are near the coast but I had to spend most of my time in the central areas. It just doesn't come off as a well planned city.

Korea town was nice, but every major world class city has good food and is expected to have a good economy.
Imported?

Those palm trees are all grown in L.a.

You think cities like Compton can afford to import palm trees?

Bottom line, NO large city is perfect. Go to Montreal or Toronto and they have shitty neighborhoods. Actually Montreal has a skid row area of their own. Ive been to Toronto plenty of times, and itís not all peachy either.

Even smaller cities like Ottawa has areas that are similar to skid row. Go downtown and its filled with homelessness, junkies, whores etc. Go to neighborhoods miles away from downtown and into other neighborhoods and youíll see drug infested trailer parks just a few blocks away from million dollar homes.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #18
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow
Or even worse. Like some shanty town in doomed Europe. I know the gap between the haves and the have nots in California are the worst in the nation but this is ridiculous.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=khpl3JCrtUg

Longer version

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fsfwo6R-Y
Where do Americans get this kind of blithering idiocy from? Is it a form of projection due to the fact so much of their country looks like the above? I live in Vienna and there are basically zero homeless people there. Paris is a shithole, sure, but Europe as a whole is in much, much better standing than the US.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #19
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
I'm convinced that dudes that complain about LA are certified homosexuals...LA has the best hot chicks to ugly broads ratio in the US, easy. Any bro with any kind of game can bag a honey out of his league like it ain't a thing...why would you hate on that unless you prefer cawk

LA is a miserable shithole. I'm convinced people who like it have never been to a nice city in their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc39
Artificial isn't probably the best word to describe what I was thinking. I meant that so much of the landscaping seemed imported and didn't fit the terrain. Much like the architecture, which has no consistency either.

I was there for Thanksgiving this year and the weather was nearly 90 degrees. I guess some people like that and consider it good weather but I just wanted out. It felt barren and desolate. It's probably better if you are near the coast but I had to spend most of my time in the central areas. It just doesn't come off as a well planned city.

Korea town was nice, but every major world class city has good food and is expected to have a good economy.
Almost all American cities are artificial though. There is nothing intimate, personal or organic about them.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #20
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
Where do Americans get this kind of blithering idiocy from? Is it a form of projection due to the fact so much of their country looks like the above? I live in Vienna and there are basically zero homeless people there. Paris is a shithole, sure, but Europe as a whole is in much, much better standing than the US.

Thats because Europe taxes its people more and provides for the lower rung of society (and even the middle class / general infrastructure). USA doesnt do that. Even democrats are considered moderates by world standards. The GOP would be considered fundamentalists.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #21
dunksby
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
When did you move from London, and why?
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #22
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

This is the result of democrats at the city and state level. What are all your city and state taxes going for?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
This is the result of democrats at the city and state level. What are all your city and state taxes going for?

Illegals.

Because if it didn't, their tax base would fall off a cliff.

It's a catch-22, for sure.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #24
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Imported?

Those palm trees are all grown in L.a.

You think cities like Compton can afford to import palm trees?

Bottom line, NO large city is perfect. Go to Montreal or Toronto and they have shitty neighborhoods. Actually Montreal has a skid row area of their own. Ive been to Toronto plenty of times, and it’s not all peachy either.

Even smaller cities like Ottawa has areas that are similar to skid row. Go downtown and its filled with homelessness, junkies, whores etc. Go to neighborhoods miles away from downtown and into other neighborhoods and you’ll see drug infested trailer parks just a few blocks away from million dollar homes.

Only the Washingtonia filifera are native to southern california the rest are imported...I thought this was commonly known to Californians?

With that said, yes many cities in the US have "bad" areas but California nowadays has basically become a state of rich coastal elites and poor people. The "middle" class struggles compared to other states and alot of them have moved out to states like Oregon, Texas, Nevada etc. Add in great weather which attracts the homeless population and yeah California can look like a 3rd world country in certain sections.

I have traveled to many cities in the United States, a few cities in Canada (Montreal and toronto) and a few cities in Europe including some of the poorest and I have never seen such a contrast like I saw in Skid Row. It reminded me of some poor gypsy villages you would see in Eastern Europe which are the poorest areas in some of the poorest countries in Europe. To see something like that in one of the wealthiest countries and one of the wealthiest states was eye opening. In California is pretty common in many cities to go from a yuppity rich area to a homeless camp. This issue isn't as common in most cities in the US.

Last edited by ALBballer : 12-28-2017 at 10:47 AM.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #25
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Only the Washingtonia filifera are native to southern california the rest are imported...I thought this was commonly known to Californians?

With that said, yes many cities in the US have "bad" areas but California nowadays has basically become a state of rich coastal elites and poor people. The "middle" class struggles compared to other states and alot of them have moved out to states like Oregon, Texas, Nevada etc. Add in great weather which attracts the homeless population and yeah California can look like a 3rd world country in certain sections.

Personally I have been around many cities in the United States, a few cities in Canada (Montreal and toronto) and a few cities in Europe including some of the poorest and I have never seen such a contrast like I saw in Skid Row. It reminded me of some poor gypsy villages you would see in Eastern Europe which are the poorest areas in some of the poorest countries in Europe. To see something like that in one of the wealthiest countries and one of the wealthiest states was eye opening.

yea but how do you shrink the gap? If you tax the rich more they leave for a state with less taxes. If you lower the taxes, the rich stay and make more money, but the poor are even worse off. The culture of capitilist greed cant be overcomed... as others have said there are people in this country making 400k a year asking for more... the culture is ****ed.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #26
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
yea but how do you shrink the gap? If you tax the rich more they leave for a state with less taxes. If you lower the taxes, the rich stay and make more money, but the poor are even worse off. The culture of capitilist greed cant be overcomed... as others have said there are people in this country making 400k a year asking for more... the culture is ****ed.

Well taxes is one cost but the biggest cost in California is housing. High permit costs and the upper middle class and rich NIMBY elites (who btw probably vote democrat) vote against building new housing in their areas. A lot of them argue that it will increase traffic and change the neighborhood amongst using other arguments which are valid arguments but by limiting supply of housing they increase their home values and they can price out the the poor and middle class people out of their neighborhoods.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #27
Akrazotile
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan

No way.

In terms of gross numbers, sure LA is high bc of the population size and Beverly Hills. But there are also tons of fatties and freaks throughout LA.

On a ratio basis, the #1 city is Phoenix AZ and nowhere else is close.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #28
Akrazotile
Banned

Quote:
Well taxes is one cost but the biggest cost in California is housing. High permit costs and the upper middle class and rich NIMBY elites (who btw probably vote democrat) vote against building new housing in their areas. A lot of them argue that it will increase traffic and change the neighborhood amongst using other arguments which are valid arguments but by limiting supply of housing they increase their home values and they can price out the the poor and middle class people out of their neighborhoods.

Thats the funny thing, LA welcomes immigrants from anywhere under any circumstances, no questions asked. Just so they can sit on a political high horse vs the rest of the country.

But they dont actually gaf when all these immigrants and transplants show up and have no place to live

Lifestyles of the pompous and pretentious.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #29
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols

Deport the illegals. Oh, wait, that ain't happening in Cali.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #30
falc39
Local High School Star

Quote:

I can't stand the rampant nimbyism everywhere. It's not even the rich neighborhoods, it's also in the middle class and poor neighborhoods. Rich homeowners always looking out for their property prices and the others always complaining about gentrification. Growth won't be possible if the nimbys are supported by the government.
falc39 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: