Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 06-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here
Default Bobcats Add Two More To Staff

Quote:
Bobcats add Rose, Ford to coaching staff
RICK BONNELL
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com

Former Charlotte 49ers coach Lee Rose and former North Carolina All-American Phil Ford are joining the Charlotte Bobcats coaching staff.

Head coach Sam Vincent confirmed those hires Thursday, following a workout of four draft prospects. Vincent also said he's leaning heavily toward retaining Bobcats assistant Jeff Capel and expects Coastal Carolina coach Buzz Peterson to join the basketball staff in a non-coaching capacity.

Ford and Peterson would add to a trend, in which managing partner Michael Jordan hires longtime associates. Ford and Peterson are fellow Tar Heels; in fact, Peterson was Jordan's teammate and roommate in Chapel Hill. Previously, the Bobcats hired Fred Whitfield as team president and Rod Higgins as general manager. Whitfield and Higgins are among Jordan's closest friends.

Ford was previously an assistant coach with the New York Knicks. He was hired in New York by Larry Brown, another fellow Tar Heel, who was fired after one season with the Knicks. Rose previously served as supervisor of coaches for the NBA's developmental league. In that role, he mentored Vincent in the NBDL.

http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/151104.html
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation
Question Re: Bobcats Add Two More To Staff

In reading some of the other blogs it seems like there's lots of disagreement over whether MJ's 'cronyism' will have a good or bad impact on the team and the marketing/reputation of the team. Do you think that MJ will risk getting egg on his face once again by making poor decisions or is he oblivious to anything other than his reflection in the mirror? Somehow I still don't trust the guy and I'm not sure why.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Bobcats Add Two More To Staff

I guess I am one of the few people that really believe in him and his decisions. I truly think he is doing his best to get this franchise to the top.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

Jordan is doing a very smart and logical thing. He is hiring people whom he trust, and people who he knows will work as hard as possible to get this team to where they belong.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Felton in '08
Kids at the park dunk on me

Felton in '08 has an OK reputation so far

Worked really well for him in Washington. Oh wait...

Look, I'm not saying MJ isn't doing what he things is right. I'm sure he is, he's a winner and would never do anything he thought would harm the team. Also, I think its important to have people that you trust. Without them, you have to micromanage and that's not productive.

However, I am very concerned about the trend. We don't know the working relationship that he has with these folks. If they are glorified "yes men" (and I am not saying that they are), that's a problem. If they are willing to stand up to MJ and point out that he isn't always right, then we're good.

I believe the situation in Washington consisted of a bunch of "yes men" and hope that doesn't repeat itself here.
Felton in '08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
Jordan is doing a very smart and logical thing. He is hiring people whom he trust, and people who he knows will work as hard as possible to get this team to where they belong.
BINGO! That's exactly what he's doing.

MJ wants this team to succeed. He's going to hire guys he trusts and knows personally. Why? Because they know what MJ wants and are on the same page as he is. Therefore, making decisions about what is best for the team are a lot easier.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

"Worked really well for him in Washington. Oh wait..."

You obviously arent very astute as to what really happened in Washington. That year Kwame Brown was the logical first pick in the draft. It doesnt matter if it was Washington, Toronto, Milwaukee, or Golden State, whomever got that first pick was going to pick him, end of story. Do you hear about the GM's who chose Olowokandi or the GM that chose Joe Smith getting a bad rap on their pick? All GM's make horrific mistakes, and this was only magnified because he is Michael Jordan. If it would have been the Milwaukee Bucks who chose Brown you wouldnt hardly hear anything about it right now. Also, Jordan freed up alot of cap room for the Wizards while he was there that essentially enabled them to sign someone of Gilbert Arenas' caliber.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Felton in '08

First of all, Kwame Brown was not the standout you claim. Other High Schoolers (Chandler and Curry) and some Spanish player named Gasol (he turned out ok) were all possible top picks. I'm not saying it was an easy choice, obviously the options weren't good. Also, the only reason Elgin Baylor doesn't take heat for Candyman is because there are too many other things you can bust on him for.

As for my concern about standing up to Jordan, he really blew up Washington by deciding to play for them. His "buddies" didn't push back despite the fact that most people saw it as the bad idea that it was. I don't expect for him to try that here, but it goes to show you want can happen if you hire friends.

I agree, he did help with the cap space even though I'd say getting rid of Rip was a bad move.

I still have faith in MJ and hope he will succeed. I am just saying that his actions so far have raised a red flag with me.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Yep, Kwame Brown was the supposed standout of that draft. Chandler, Curry and Gasol were never even mentioned as the number 1 pick in that draft with the exception of a couple of GM's. So that in itself means you cant fault MJ for taking Brown, as 80% of the GM's in the league would have done the same thing. I hate repeating myself.

MJ lacing the shoes wasnt a bad thing at all for Washington. It resurrected a stagnant franchise, and he didnt exactly play bad either. You can argue about the RIP, Stackhouse trade, and at this time that seems like a questionable decision, but Stackhouse was recently coming off a season where he averaged close to 30ppg, and hes still playing decent basketball. Im just stating he hasnt been as terrible of a GM as you might make him out to be.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #10
Felton in '08

With one quick search its easy to find out that Kwame was not favored by 80%. "Edge" does not constitue 80%. And other mock drafts indicate that you shouldn't be quite so smug. I'm sorry you keep repeating inaccurate statements Note: just proving it wasn't a "no brainer". I am not saying that the options were much better.

Also, the big problem with Jordan returning to play is that it led to the downfall of Kwame. While interest may have been sparked early on, it led to both guys departure and is roundly considered a failure.

http://nba.suite101.com/article.cfm/...2001_nba_draft
http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2001/s/2...1/1212447.html
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nba/01draft/mock.htm
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...11/mock_draft/
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...25/ai_76134300
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I had no idea so many good players came out of that draft....

Jason Richardson, Joe Johnson, RJ, GW, Tony Parker, and Agent 0.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Jordan coming did not lead to the downfall of Kwame.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #13
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I had no idea so many good players came out of that draft....

Jason Richardson, Joe Johnson, RJ, GW, Tony Parker, and Agent 0.

All who have turned out better than Kwame Brown lol
Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Feltonian
I airball my layups

Feltonian has an OK reputation so far

It's not like he hired two totally unqualified people. Ford has been an assistant coach in both college and the NBA. Rose has been a head coach for a DI school. Jordan is just making sure he trusts the people in his organization.
Feltonian is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: