Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #31
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

Default Re: San Antonio/Cleveland 7.9 rating lowest ever for a NBA Finals Game 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBynumProject
TNT saw the smallest declines of any network, and the network can credit that to airing nine out of eleven games involving the Golden State Warriors, controversial games four and five of the Phoenix/San Antonio series and the entire Eastern Conference Finals -- which started slowly, but finished with very high ratings. Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals drew a 5.8 cable rating, making it the highest rated NBA game on cable of the past two years. Overall, TNT saw ratings decline by 12%, from a 3.1 cable rating to a 2.7. However, total viewers for TNT declined only 8%, from 3.6 to 3.3 million viewers. While TNT drew its lowest average rating ever for the Conference Finals (4.1 cable rating), that was down only 11% from a 4.6 cable rating last year, and total viewers was down just 9% -- from 5.5 million viewers in 2006 to 5.0 million viewers this year.

ALOT of this has to do with how TNT markets. they ALWAYS create a plot to the game that is about to be played. "can lebron finish off the cavs", "the suns look for revenge after the hip check", "nellie looks to beat his old team".

ABC could have created a great story line using coach pop and mike brown, "teacher vs protege", or "old school superstar vs new superstar", they could have gone international and put "manu and parker vs varejao/pavlovic/illgauskas".

SOO many storylines could have been created, yet nothing was done...and then they blame the boring Spurs.

if you have poor marketing, any product, no matter how good it is, will show poor sales, however if you have a poor product, you can make up for it with great marketing.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #32
dak121
College superstar

Default Re: San Antonio/Cleveland 7.9 rating lowest ever for a NBA Finals Game 1

For further reference to how bad ESPN/ABC is, someone should check out Monday Night Football ratings for the past 25 or so years also.

They do a worst job with MNF production than they do for the NBA. Just horrible.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #33
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
ALOT of this has to do with how TNT markets. they ALWAYS create a plot to the game that is about to be played. "can lebron finish off the cavs", "the suns look for revenge after the hip check", "nellie looks to beat his old team".

ABC could have created a great story line using coach pop and mike brown, "teacher vs protege", or "old school superstar vs new superstar", they could have gone international and put "manu and parker vs varejao/pavlovic/illgauskas".

SOO many storylines could have been created, yet nothing was done...and then they blame the boring Spurs.

if you have poor marketing, any product, no matter how good it is, will show poor sales, however if you have a poor product, you can make up for it with great marketing.

None of those story lines are intriguing. At all. The only time people want to hear about coaches is if it's Phil or Riley. The line for the Warriors was if the 8 could beat the 1, not if Nellie can beat the Mavs.

International line could work...if it didn't involve Varejao/Pav/Z.

Duncan v. LeBron could realistically be the only one that works, but they play different positions so it's not like it's an actual showdown.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #34
John Starks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
None of those story lines are intriguing. At all. The only time people want to hear about coaches is if it's Phil or Riley. The line for the Warriors was if the 8 could beat the 1, not if Nellie can beat the Mavs.

Duncan v. LeBron could realistically be the only one that works, but they play different positions so it's not like it's an actual showdown.

Is it the least bit interesting what Locke finds in the shaft? Does anyone care if Jerry's sitcom gets onthe air? What about Ross/Rachel getting together -- do we really care...are we really pulling for it to work?

These little sub-plots are just a way to give a personality to the game - we know that Pop isn't actually going to teach Brown anything and we won't notice any teacher/student stuff, but any information about somone sort of makes us care about them and thus want to how it all turns out.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #35
SsKSpurs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357

the basic point i was trying to make was that they should have created some sort of plot to get people intrigued instead of just saying "spurs/cavs NBA Finals on ABC".
that is the only promo I saw...a little 5 second segment with a lebron dunk on tim duncan and then it switched to a black background that showed the NBA logo, the NBA finals logo, the time and the date. they didnt even say the time and date. people get up and do things while commercials are on and just listen to the tv... if you are doing something while this commercial is on and they dont say the time and date you are not going to know.

everyone knows the spurs are boring, so why are they letting the spurs name market itself instead of pushing a story line to intrigue viewers?

i also think they put all there eggs in the lebron basket and when he didnt show up in the first half people turned it off. probably saying "they made this guy look like he is unstoppable with all the ads and he goes 0-7?"
Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #36
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
i blame very very very poor marketing.

john starks made a thread on this and so did someone else i forgot but they pretty much explained that ABC rarely marketed the finals. even last week the only ads i saw were like 5 SECOND clips saying "Spurs/Cavs NBA FINALS GAME 1 on ABC" they didnt even say the freakin time and date. and the finals schedule was already made when the pistons/cavs were playing game 5, so its not like they didnt know the time and date.

absolutely horrible marketing. ESPN marketed the finals a little bit but why is ESPN marketing it when the game is on ABC!

ABC absulutely sucks. remember when the games were on NBC...there would be commercials every 20 minutes about playoff games and NBA Finals!

dont blame the spurs or cavs, blame ABC's horrid marketing and advertising.

Because they're both owned by the same company, Disney, so ABC sports is literally an extension of ESPN.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #37
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzp
Spurs should be banned from any nba final lol ( go to euroleague =P )

They'd win everything with their eyes closed.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #38
SsKSpurs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Because they're both owned by the same company, Disney, so ABC sports is literally an extension of ESPN.

no i understand and know they are the same company...the point i was making was and starks made this point as well...people on ESPN are sports buffs, they know when the finals are going to be played, so why are they marketing to guys who already know where and when the finals are taking place. instead they should be heavily marketed on ABC where the actual game is going to be played on and market it to casual fans who are watching Lost, dancing with the stars and all that other stuff.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #39
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Going to ABC was just a bad idea. Sure they got ESPN too, but God.

I read something not too long ago that NBC and Fox somehow are seen by more people without cable. Meaning for the most part signals show up clearer for those stations than ABC/CBS. And truth be told here in Alabama you seriously can never find a good signal for ABC like you can ABC. Meaning worse ratings.

Another thing is Im sure people saw how terrible the King was doing. They tuned in to see a show by him, we didn't see it.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #40
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I think Cleveland needs to win a game or 2 first then the ratings might go up. Everywhere I go/hear this finals is being treated as a "Spurs will easily slaughter the Cavs, so why bother watching?" series.

Everyone is acting like they already know the result so they aren't watching it. The Spurs are IMO the overwhelming favourites here and I think these ratings are showing it.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #41
shok
Decent playground baller

Household gatherings can deceive these numbers too. For instance, I have several friends over watching the games, where we could easily watch it all separately at home for an extra 7 viewers. (I suppose this was the case for all nba finals games). Oh well.
shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #42
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
I found it VERY exciting...Ginobili went between a dudes legs, Duncan was having his own Block Party(he made sure to give Lebron an invite), Tony Parker was ballin...Whats not to like

Yes, anyone who watched the first half had to be shocked at how the Spurs defense made Bron look like a mere human. As strong as Bron is, they were making him tumble on one play where the defenders got his feet set and forced Bron into a turnover.

Duncan is 2nd all time in blocks for the Finals, so it's always a block party when he's there. And Tony just made you wanna cry sometimes when he went to the lane. Look for Bron to get aggressive next game, but Spurs may stick with the all-for-one approach on defending Bron. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #43
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I thought Stern made it so Clevland and Lebron got to the NBA finals? The ratings are low so where are the Stern conspiracists?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #44
Sun Devil
I brick open layups

I think the Nation is still turned off with the NBA because of the way they handled the whole situation with the Suns...

If either Kobe or Nash were in the Finals the ratings would have skyrocketed...

I think people are also turned off with the way ESPN has been hyping LeBron, and now that the Cavs struggled in game 1 the casual fan will not want to tune in cause they expect another blow out...

Someone mentioned the fact that the series finale was this sunday, Finals ratings should be affected again.
Sun Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #45
John Starks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Devil
I think the Nation is still turned off with the NBA because of the way they handled the whole situation with the Suns...

now that's funny. Phx v. Spurs got a whopping 5 rating. Proves that nobody gave a f- about them.

Also, it is not the biggest travesty in the history of the sport. Same sh!t happened to the Knicks, same round AND the Knicks were better. That Bulls v. Utah finals still drew a huge crowd.

Maybe some Suns fans were pissed, but that's their right...there are pissed off fans every year. Didn't hurt the Laker series one bit when everyone was convinced that the Kings were robbed.

What's extra funny on this topic - is that Amer. Idol and nat'l anthem perfromer J.Sparks is from AZ. She won't tell who she's rooting for, but you know she is one of thEse super-pissed Suns fans. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: