Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Default #oscarssocolor tonight?

interested to see
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: #oscarssocolor tonight?

Dunno what that hashtag means, but regardless..

I put on the Oscars but rarely pay attention beyond the opening monologue portion, which is sometimes entertaining. Maybe last 10 minutes during awards for best actor/actress/film. Most of the votes are based on politics sadly so even those awards are "mehhh, whatever".

This year, I have only seen 2 of the nominations for best picture - Dunkirk and The Post. Never even heard of half of the other nominations until I saw them on Oscar nomination list It has become a norm lately where the nominations are movies few people have heard of or seen. Bladerunner 2049 should be nominated for best picture imo. Maybe Logan too.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

I saw "Get Out" in theaters and although I enjoyed the film very much, I was actually surprised when I heard it got a nom for best picture. It wasn't breathtaking in anyway.

"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" on the other hand is a great movie, it's the kind of movie that gets you hooked right away, the acting was superb, intriguing story telling and it connects with the viewer on a deep level. Although I wasn't a fan of the ending it should win Best Picture.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
I saw "Get Out" in theaters and although I enjoyed the film very much, I was actually surprised when I heard it got a nom for best picture. It wasn't breathtaking in anyway.

"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" on the other hand is a great movie, it's the kind of movie that gets you hooked right away, the acting was superb, intriguing story telling and it connects with the viewer on a deep level. Although I wasn't a fan of the ending it should win Best Picture.
agreed. what a film, loved it.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

I will surely watch that.

What else is must-watch from the nominations for best picture?
Old 03-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
dude77
NBA sixth man of the year

kobe bryant oscar award winner

so I'm assuming this is historical .. first ever nba champion and oscar winner ?
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
I will surely watch that.

What else is must-watch from the nominations for best picture?

Must-watch? None really. Three Billboards was the only film that I would consider great.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 AM   #8
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Must-watch? None really. Three Billboards was the only film that I would consider great.

Watched it after the Oscars ended. I enjoyed it tbh.. My short review..

Acting was spectacular from the main actress, whom I never heard of, and all around cast as well. Woody Harrelson stood out to me as well. Direction was very nicely done. Writing is subtle & not action packed as you may expect in a crime/drama genre, but it's very well written. Subtlety is a nice touch if done properly (reminiscent of movies like No country for old men and Fargo). It is the small details, underlying messages and nuances that go beyond what you see on the screen.

Not a must-watch movie by any means, but I think it's well worth watching once. The storytelling aspect is pretty close to amazing. Just don't expect a lot of action, bullets flying or a breakdown of the murder itself (I can't say more without spoiling the movie). Ending is different than what you expect going in and even halfway mark, but I thought it was a nice touch - not so predictable as Hollywood movies tends to be.

I rate it 8.5/10.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:32 AM   #9
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:

Acting was spectacular from the main actress, whom I never heard of, and all around cast as well. Woody Harrelson stood out to me as well. Direction was very nicely done. Writing is subtle & not action packed as you may expect in a crime/drama genre, but it's very well written. Subtlety is a nice touch if done properly (reminiscent of movies like No country for old men and Fargo). It is the small details, underlying messages and nuances that go beyond what you see on the screen.

Not a must-watch movie by any means, but I think it's well worth watching once. The storytelling aspect is pretty close to amazing. Just don't expect a lot of action, bullets flying or a breakdown of the murder itself (I can't say more without spoiling the movie). Ending is different than what you expect going in and even halfway mark, but I thought it was a nice touch - not so predictable as Hollywood movies tends to be.

I rate it 8.5/10.

You've never heard of Frances McDormand She's the main actress in Fargo too.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 AM   #10
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan

You've never heard of Frances McDormand She's the main actress in Fargo too.

Seriously? Oh crap, she's the cop. I don't even remember her being in Fargo by name, but I do recall her face now that I think of it. She hasn't been in many movies, has she? I don't recall seeing in other movies. Just saw her in Fargo and Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
Old 03-05-2018, 04:08 AM   #11
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Seriously? Oh crap, she's the cop. I don't even remember her being in Fargo by name, but I do recall her face now that I think of it. She hasn't been in many movies, has she? I don't recall seeing in other movies. Just saw her in Fargo and Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
Mississippi Burning and Burn After Reading are her other notable films.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #12
hold this L
d-y-n-a-s-t-y

Need to watch 3 Billboards, heard great things.
hold this L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #13
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

I rate it 8.5/10.

Nice review. One of my favorite scenes of the movie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO6TmBXgH0
(Don't watch if you haven't seen the film)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #14
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Nice review. One of my favorite scenes of the movie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO6TmBXgH0
(Don't watch if you haven't seen the film)

Not a single cut during that scene, which is marvelous. I was captivated by that scene as well when I watched it.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #15
dude77
NBA sixth man of the year

someone on another board said 'I, tonya' was a great movie also ? even went as far as to say it was best movie of the year .. didn't expect that .. guess I gotta check that one out
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: