Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
jlip
College star

Wink Kevin Love's "Mental Health" Issues

"Kevin Love discloses his battle with panic attacks, calls them 'mental health' issue"

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Kevin Love disclosed his battles with panic attacks, which knocked him out of a Cavaliers game this season, in a self-penned essay for the Players' Tribune on Tuesday.

Love, 29, a five-time NBA All-Star, said in the essay that he suffered his first panic attack on Nov. 5, early in the third quarter of a loss to the Atlanta Hawks.

The episode chased him from the game (he only scored two points in the first half) and landed him at the Cleveland Clinic. Love called the panic attacks a "mental health" issue and said there was a stigma preventing professional athletes from discussing and embracing a problem that affects them as commonly as it does the general population.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index....his_battl.html

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ke...ugh-something/

I hope this is not too serious and he can manage this condition living a healthy, "normal" life.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Trollsmasher
The Fam

Default Re: Kevin Love's "Mental Health" Issues

mental illnesses of this type are Big Pharma-Big Psych invention
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
E_Stamkos
//////////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlip
"Kevin Love discloses his battle with panic attacks, calls them 'mental health' issue"

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Kevin Love disclosed his battles with panic attacks, which knocked him out of a Cavaliers game this season, in a self-penned essay for the Players' Tribune on Tuesday.

Love, 29, a five-time NBA All-Star, said in the essay that he suffered his first panic attack on Nov. 5, early in the third quarter of a loss to the Atlanta Hawks.

The episode chased him from the game (he only scored two points in the first half) and landed him at the Cleveland Clinic. Love called the panic attacks a "mental health" issue and said there was a stigma preventing professional athletes from discussing and embracing a problem that affects them as commonly as it does the general population.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index....his_battl.html

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ke...ugh-something/

I hope this is not too serious and he can manage this condition living a healthy, "normal" life.

Much respect to Kev for coming to the forefront and showing a willingness to divulge his personal experiences.

It's those in esteemed positions on the social heirarchy that can help to diminish the stigma surrounding mental health.

Feel bad for dude... Having to experience a panic attack mid game.
E_Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
stalkerforlife
Banned

He manned up and admitted it.

And he'll be fine.

It's probably difficult to play with Bran knowing you will be minimized and blamed no matter what.
stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
stalkerforlife
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsmasher

Panic attacks are real.

I've been hospitalized for them.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Trollsmasher
The Fam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
Panic attacks are real.

I've been hospitalized for them.
they are mostly self-induced by a person who has been exposed to a constant media propaganda - you see that shit happening to others, see docs (professional authority who nevertheless has an interest in people being ill) talking about the "epidemics of mental health issues" so you think it should happen to you and voila, it does!

you won't find a single historical mention of panic attacks or a myriad other mental issues in pre-20th century sources

in Europe about 3% of population has them, in the US about 11%. If they were actually natural this disparity wouldn't exist

Last edited by Trollsmasher : 03-06-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

I had panic attacks as well, except mine were from almost dying.

Ahh, to be Kevin Love and have a panic attack. I'd just hop in the Jacuzzi full of $100 bills and calm myself right down.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Haymaker
NBA rookie of the year

Lebron makes the locker room so toxic, people get panic attacks and shit.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
stalkerforlife
Banned

Quote:
they are mostly self-induced by a person who has been exposed to a constant media propaganda

you won't find a single historical mention of panic attacks or a myriad other mental issues in pre-20th century sources

in Europe about 3% of population has them, in the US about 11%. If they were actually natural this disparity wouldn't exist

I didn't care about the media when I thought I was dying of a heart attack when I was actually fine; I was having a panic attack.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Panic attacks absolutely are not an "invention." The guy is freaking out and at that point becomes basically useless. It's potentially a massive problem if it happens often enough and could damage his value the next time he hits free agency, Every time he has a bad game people are now going to wonder if he had a panic attack.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:

Bullshit.

I’ve had panic attacks on and off my entire life and they can be REALLY bad. Mine first started at 15 years old when my grandfather had a massive stroke... never recovered... was like a father to me... I had no idea what was happening to me. You have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about.

You can get panic attacks because of physical problems you are unaware of, FYI.

But mostly it’s psychological problems... I’m pretty sure Kevin Love’s panic attacks are a result of the pressure and expectation that comes with being on LeBron’s team... they didn’t start for him until the Cavs started sucking.

The stomach and brain are connected in ways we are still learning about and for some people, diet can cause digestive issues which then disrupt the brain.

RMWG... he wouldn’t be sucking from panic attacks. He would be straight up out of the game. Elevated anxiety may cause him to suck but an actual panic attack would sideline him.

Last edited by Bill Russell : 03-06-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #12
I<3NBA
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
they're mentioned as possessions or some voodoo bullshit
Quote:
or perhaps the disparity is just because it is under-reported in Europe.

the brain controls the body, so if the brain is fkd up, the body will be fkd up. it's a simple, logical idea. you have to be as stupid as you to think it has to be some big pharma conspiracy.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
East River Livn'
Super Handsome

Quote:

Panic attacks are real but they are only chronic and severe in weak minded individuals. By normalizing them and perhaps not shaming such behavior it becomes contagious among the population, playing right into the hands of "Big Pharma-Big Psych". It's an undeniable fact that mental illness is spreading and there are certain companies laughing all the way to the bank because of it.
East River Livn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by East River Livn'
Panic attacks are real but they are only chronic and severe in weak minded individuals. By normalizing them and perhaps not shaming such behavior it becomes contagious among the population, playing right into the hands of "Big Pharma-Big Psych". It's an undeniable fact that mental illness is spreading and there are certain companies laughing all the way to the bank because of it.

Mental health problems are becoming a major problem in the US for numerous reasons.

Lack of community.
Focus on self, amplified by technology and social media.
Worshiping money.
Constant neckbreaking speed of life / lifestyle.
Lack of exercise.
Poor diet.

And finally the big daddy which bleeds into all the aforementioned... lack of faith in something bigger than self. Lack of belief in God.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
Wa88iors
Learning to shoot layups

I smell some sort of negative and / or damaging story about Kevin Love that is giving him panic attacks. He knows the media will ultimately expose his dirty laundry..... the media: sticking their snouts into non hoops business.

Kevin "bill cosby" Love?
Wa88iors is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: