Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #16
stalkerforlife
Free the banned users.

Default Re: Kevin Love's "Mental Health" Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa88iors
I smell some sort of negative and / or damaging story about Kevin Love that is giving him panic attacks. He knows the media will ultimately expose his dirty laundry..... the media: sticking their snouts into non hoops business.

Kevin "bill cosby" Love?

stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #17
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
they are mostly self-induced by a person who has been exposed to a constant media propaganda - you see that shit happening to others, see docs (professional authority who nevertheless has an interest in people being ill) talking about the "epidemics of mental health issues" so you think it should happen to you and voila, it does!

you won't find a single historical mention of panic attacks or a myriad other mental issues in pre-20th century sources

in Europe about 3% of population has them, in the US about 11%. If they were actually natural this disparity wouldn't exist

Panic attacks and depression are well documented in history. They just weren't able to describe it as accurately.

https://www.gulfbend.org/poc/view_do...&id=12995&cn=5

^This is just for depression in history, but I'm sure I could find information on panic attacks in history.

I agree that culture and environment can have an impact. In America we have a lot of pressure to work hard, and to work long hours. This contributes to mental illness. Japan has horrible mental health problems, many of them attributed to working long hours.

Here's something about the history of anxiety in women :https://www.calmclinic.com/brief-history-of-anxiety

My theory is thus: In the past, people did not care nearly as much about mental problems, because of the prevalence of physical problems. We have resolved many of the most lethal and destructive physical problems (disorders like iodine deficiency, or diseases like small pox). Now mental illness is more of a problem compared to the remaining physical illnesses and disorders that are left to deal with.

To put it this way, panic attacks didn't matter so much when your village could get wiped out by the plague tomorrow.

Last edited by ralph_i_el : 03-06-2018 at 11:32 AM.
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #18
G0ATbe
LLLLLLebron

The L3/8ron effect. First Bosh, now this? It's not a coincidence.
G0ATbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #19
East River Livn'
Super Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell
Mental health problems are becoming a major problem in the US for numerous reasons.

Lack of community.
Focus on self, amplified by technology and social media.
Worshiping money.
Constant neckbreaking speed of life / lifestyle.
Lack of exercise.
Poor diet.

And finally the big daddy which bleeds into all the aforementioned... lack of faith in something bigger than self. Lack of belief in God.

I agree somewhat with everything you said except in the bold. I don't think people worship money like they used to. I would even dare say Americans are much less materialistic than they were in the 80s and 90s. We are certainly less materialistic than most developed Asian countries these days. Although we EXPECT things to be given to us, I think we actually don't worship money enough. If we loved it so much lots of us would hoard it in banks but we now keep less money in the bank than any time in decades. Worshiping money usually means some degree of greed, greed is a form of ambition but we are less ambitious than perhaps any time in history.
East River Livn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #20
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
mental illnesses of this type are Big Pharma-Big Psych invention
So it was big pharma's fault that Ilt didn't have a son?

Not being able to have a son after "sleeping with 20,000" is the most pathetic failure anyone on earth has ever done.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

I personally had a 2 panics attack in college.

A close friend and teammate passed away suddenly. Then I had a serious injury during water polo practice (requiring surgery). On top of that I was taking a heavy and advanced course load.

I just flipped out and became useless twice. After the second time I went to get some therapy from my school's medical center. I learned some strategies to deal with stress, and it never happened again.

In my current career, I'm known as someone who is unaffected by stress. Mental illness can be solved.
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #22
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Lebron Ball
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #23
Bill Russell
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
Lebron Ball

There has never been another athlete in the history of the entire f ucking planet under the microscope facing the level of scrutiny that LeBron has. Not a single one. Nobody else. Zero. Zip. Zilch. NO ONE ELSE... EVER.

Part of that is his level of talent and part of it is our era of living.

Given as such, Kevin Love can’t handle that. Most people would struggle with it on some level.

You’re an idiot.

Last edited by Bill Russell : 03-06-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #24
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
I had panic attacks as well, except mine were from almost dying.

Ahh, to be Kevin Love and have a panic attack. I'd just hop in the Jacuzzi full of $100 bills and calm myself right down.

If money solved mental health problems, we wouldnt see so many rich people with them. What a childish take smh.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #25
bison
Decent playground baller

Lebron James is a proven detriment to the mental health of his teammates. FACT
bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #26
East River Livn'
Super Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
I personally had a 2 panics attack in college.

A close friend and teammate passed away suddenly. Then I had a serious injury during water polo practice (requiring surgery). On top of that I was taking a heavy and advanced course load.

I just flipped out and became useless twice. After the second time I went to get some therapy from my school's medical center. I learned some strategies to deal with stress, and it never happened again.

In my current career, I'm known as someone who is unaffected by stress. Mental illness can be solved.

Panic attacks happen in some form to everyone. But once you get a couple, you should recognize what they are so you don't let the anxiety take control of you again. I remember hiking in the mountains in an unfamiliar area by myself. I took a bad spill trying descend down a steep slope. I got up, first there was the pain, then I saw ticks on my pants (Lyme Disease!), my heart felt heavy in my chest. I looked around at the miles of nothingness and thought if I had a heart attack no one would find my body for months or years. My vehicle was 5 miles away on the other side of the ridge, and that was probably the nearest dirt road to me. Took a few minutes to calm down. Never happened that severe again. Once your brain recognizes the power of anxiety, it should let willpower and logic kick in to defeat it, unless you are making a conscious decision to let anxiety take control.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #27
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
If money solved mental health problems, we wouldnt see so many rich people with them. What a childish take smh.

The suicide rate among the poor is likely 100x the rate among the rich.

So, it sure as shit doesn't hurt.

You only know rich people committing suicide because it's RARE. Poor people killing themselves never makes news because few care.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #28
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
The suicide rate among the poor is likely 100x the rate among the rich.

So, it sure as shit doesn't hurt.

You only know rich people committing suicide because it's RARE. Poor people killing themselves never makes news because few care.
Oops

http://business.time.com/2012/11/08/...neighborhoods/

Quote:
Happiness is directly related to how much money we make. We’ve known that for a while. So it shouldn’t be surprising that our earnings also correlate with suicide rates.

A new paper from the San Francisco Federal Reserve shows that, all else being equal, suicide risks are higher in wealthier neighborhoods, a morbid demonstration of the folly of trying to “keep up with the Joneses.”

Daniel Wilson, senior economist at the San Francisco Fed, and two co-authors found that for two individuals with the same income but living in two different counties, the one who lives in the county with a higher average income is 4.5% more likely to commit suicide. At first it might seem surprising, but it begins to make sense when you think about how we tend to compare ourselves to those around us.

You might assume that suicide rates would be elevated in lower-income neighborhoods and counties, and the study’s authors do point to findings that higher income generally lowers suicide risk. For example, an individual with family income less than $10,000 (in 1990 dollars) is 50% more likely to commit suicide than an individual with income above $60,000.

The twist comes when you look at low income individuals who live in high income areas. According to the study, they face greater suicide risk than those living in low-income areas. The study’s authors call it a “behavioral response to unfavorable interpersonal income comparisons.”

The study’s co-authors analyzed two independent sets of data to come up with their findings: the National Longitudinal Morality Study and the National Center for Health Statistics’ Multiple Cause of Death Files combined with information from the 1990 census.

Not surprisingly, being unemployed is also a factor in suicide risk. The Fed study found that suicide risk for the unemployed is 72% higher than for someone who is working.

Previous studies have found that $75,000 is the earnings tipping point in terms of happiness: Anything above that mark has no long-term effect on happiness, but each dollar below the $75,000 figure decreases happiness.

The Fed study has discovered a new benchmark: $34,000. Make anything less than that and your risk of suicide increases by 50%; but raise your income from $34,000 to as high as $102,000 and suicide rates decrease only marginally.

Unfortunately, our self-reported happiness levels are largely based on comparisons with others — and proximity to more successful people makes us view our own situation negatively. The easiest way to solve this? Try to forget about what’s happening on the other side of the fence. It’s not always greener.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #29
DCL
Very good NBA starter

isn't it normal to have panic attacks under certain situations though? like that moment when you think you're just about to lose everything or see your life turn completely upside down? those are logical outcomes, are they not? maybe you just committed the biggest f--k up of your life at a job and you're about to see your career go down the drain. or maybe you got caught for posting something stupid on social media and your school just expelled your ass. or maybe you're about to get a life sentence and never see freedom again. or maybe you're in a war zone and you're aware you're about to be killed or captured. yeah, you probably should be freaking out if your brain is functional. why would these moments be considered mental health issues? you are freaking out because you are f--ked. there's sound logic to your feelings.

so shouldn't we only consider panic attacks as mental health issues if they're over the little-est things which cannot be rationalized or perhaps even over nothing? like you just wake up and everything is normal in your life, but your mind is just freaking out for no apparent reason. now that is abnormal.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #30
East River Livn'
Super Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn

All this proves is that mentally ill people have difficulty keeping a good paying job (usually the better the job the more stress involved), rather than being poor causes depression and suicide.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: