Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
hateraid
Is it in you?

Default Browns 1st and 4th pick

I realize there's probably mini discussions going on in the 2018 off season and other threads. I think it's a good stand alone thread. I wanted to get some hot takes.

What should the Browns do with their 1st and 4th pick?

- Take Barkley 1st and hope Darnold falls to 4th, if not settle with Rosen or Allen?
- Take Darnold 1st and take next best prospect at 4th?
- Take who they want 1st and leverage the 4th pick, move down and get more draft picks?
- Trade 1st, move down and leverage more future picks, and settle with best QB left and hope it's Darnold?

It's all pretty intriguing. What's your takes?

Last edited by hateraid : 03-15-2018 at 04:01 PM.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Take Barkley #1, Rosen #4.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
Mex-Laker
I rule the local playground

#1 Barkley
#4 Mayfield
Mex-Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #4
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

Rosen should be the #1 QB on everyone's board, he is probably the most pro ready NFL QB since Andrew Luck, excellent pocket passer and good mechanics.

It really surprises me when I see QB's like Darnold and even Josh Allen ahead of Rosen in some mock drafts, I was on the Darnold hype train before the 2017 season, but he disappointed in his sophomore year, questionable decisions making and lots of turnovers, but I still have him as my #2 QB and I'm slowly warming up to Mayfield. I'm gonna laugh at anyone who takes Josh Allen in the 1st round, dude is gonna bust.

If I'm the Browns I would roll the dice and draft Barkley #1 and hope nobody takes Rosen at #2 or #3. Alot of people are calling Barkley the best RB prospect of the last decade. If you are more on the conservative side, take Rosen #1 because franchise QBs are very hard to find and they can change a team in a heartbeat.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Unless we are talking about a guy with once in a century level of talent/athleticism, taking a RB first overall is idiotic... the Browns are stupid but I doubt they are that stupid...

The last time a RB was taken first overall was Ki-Jana Carter back in 1995, prior to that was Bo Jackson back in 1986. You have to go back 30 years before RBs start appearing as regular first rounders.

In 18 of the last 20 drafts, the #1 pick was a QB or defensive pass rusher. The top two highest paid positions are QB and pass rushers. This is not a coincidence, QB and pass rusher are the top two most important roles on any roster, and the browns need more of both.

When was the last time that any team won a superbowl with an expensive highly drafted RB? Was it the Saints with Reggie Bush?

Last edited by Nanners : 03-16-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
DaHeezy
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Unless we are talking about a guy with once in a century level of talent/athleticism, taking a RB first overall is idiotic... the Browns are stupid but I doubt they are that stupid...

The last time a RB was taken first overall was Ki-Jana Carter back in 1995, prior to that was Bo Jackson back in 1986. You have to go back 30 years before RBs start appearing as regular first rounders.

In 18 of the last 20 drafts, the #1 pick was a QB or defensive pass rusher. The top two highest paid positions are QB and pass rushers. This is not a coincidence, QB and pass rusher are the top two most important roles on any roster, and the browns need more of both.

When was the last time that any team won a superbowl with an expensive highly drafted RB? Was it the Saints with Reggie Bush?

In any of those scenarios did they also have a 4th pick? The Browns can afford to take Barkley first because they are guaranteed to land a top 3 QB. So it wouldn't be stupid to take Barkley. Because he's not going to be there at 4.

You take Barkley and worst case scenario is you get Rosen.
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
In any of those scenarios did they also have a 4th pick? The Browns can afford to take Barkley first because they are guaranteed to land a top 3 QB. So it wouldn't be stupid to take Barkley. Because he's not going to be there at 4.

You take Barkley and worst case scenario is you get Rosen.

Or they could take a QB + an elite defensive talent like Chubb or Fitzpatrick, and wait to pick up a later round RB like virtually all of the successful teams do...
Old 03-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
DaHeezy
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Or they could take a QB + an elite defensive talent like Chubb or Fitzpatrick, and wait to pick up a later round RB like virtually all of the successful teams do...

Barkley is generational. The talent drop off from Barkley to the rest of the crop is enormous. We know Indy is taking Chubb, the Giants may not even select Darnold. Taking Barkley first guarantees Barkley/Darnold or Barkley/Rosen. That's a great position to be in. They get a #1 pick QB AND a generational RB.
Then they can follow the mold of LA and guarantee a RB of the future. Barkley is marketable and brings a big fan base. Given the success of Fournette, Zeke, and Gurley, Barkley is almost a guarantee. And he may be the best of them all.

There's also depth on the edge. Arden Key or Sam Hubbard can fall. Plus the still have Garrett.

You take Barkley. The #4 is practically the #1 pick anyways
Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Barkley is generational. The talent drop off from Barkley to the rest of the crop is enormous. We know Indy is taking Chubb, the Giants may not even select Darnold. Taking Barkley first guarantees Barkley/Darnold or Barkley/Rosen. That's a great position to be in. They get a #1 pick QB AND a generational RB.
Then they can follow the mold of LA and guarantee a RB of the future. Barkley is marketable and brings a big fan base. Given the success of Fournette, Zeke, and Gurley, Barkley is almost a guarantee. And he may be the best of them all.

There's also depth on the edge. Arden Key or Sam Hubbard can fall. Plus the still have Garrett.

You take Barkley. The #4 is practically the #1 pick anyways

Zeke Elliot and Todd Gurley were supposedly "generational" too... it seems like there is a "generational" back almost every year. The last time the Browns blew a high pick on a "generational" back, they wound up with Trent Richardson.

Aside from Reggie Bush, when was the last time that a "generational" back picked early in the 1st round won a championship?

IMO a "generational" back would be someone like Bo, a guy who only comes along once every 10-20 years and is legitimately head and shoulders above the rest of the competition. Barkley is good but he is not what I would call "generational".

If Cleveland is smart they will take Chubb/Fitz with the first pick, take their QB with the 4th pick, and pick up a RB in the 2nd-4th round or via free agency.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

I know it worked out for Philly with Wentz, but I'm not a fan of letting the draft determine what QB you pick when your team sits at #1. Go and get your qb first, and see what shakes out at #4.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #11
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
I know it worked out for Philly with Wentz, but I'm not a fan of letting the draft determine what QB you pick when your team sits at #1. Go and get your qb first, and see what shakes out at #4.

I agree on paper... but given how successful the Brown have been with their QB picks over the past few decades, they are probably best off just picking at random.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

Quote:
I agree on paper... but given how successful the Brown have been with their QB picks over the past few decades, they are probably best off just picking at random.
I can't disagree with this
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #13
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Zeke Elliot and Todd Gurley were supposedly "generational" too... it seems like there is a "generational" back almost every year. The last time the Browns blew a high pick on a "generational" back, they wound up with Trent Richardson.

Aside from Reggie Bush, when was the last time that a "generational" back picked early in the 1st round won a championship?

IMO a "generational" back would be someone like Bo, a guy who only comes along once every 10-20 years and is legitimately head and shoulders above the rest of the competition. Barkley is good but he is not what I would call "generational".

If Cleveland is smart they will take Chubb/Fitz with the first pick, take their QB with the 4th pick, and pick up a RB in the 2nd-4th round or via free agency.

Elliot is already arguably the best RB in the NFL, if you re-do the 2016 draft he probably goes #2 behind Wentz. Gurley just finished 2nd in the MVP voting this past season. And guess what, Barkley is a better prospect out of college than both of those players.

You can't pass on Barkley just because there are "always good RBs in the later rounds", I understand both Kamara and Hunt were picked in the 3rd round last year and had great rookie years, but that was a rare exception, more often than not... RBs taken in the 2nd-3rd round tend to be solid and the others don't even pan out at all, the evidence is there, take a look at drafts before 2017. Why pass on a prospect like Barkley and take a RB in the 2nd-3rd round who has around a 40% chance of actually being a solid starter in this league?

I see nothing wrong with taking a RB #1, it's still one of the most valuable positions in the league, try to do some more homework on Barkley, he is legitimately the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson.

Can Barkley bust? Of course, anyone can bust, but he is still a safer pick than all of the QBs in this class and you still have the #4 pick to take either Rosen or Darnold.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #14
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

When was the last time the best RB won a super bowl? Was Emmitt Smith the best RB? What I mean is, you don't have to have the best RB to go all the way. I know I don't want the Giants to use the 2nd pick on Barkley, regardless of how good he will be. I was happy getting diamonds like Ahmad Bradshaw in the 7th round.

I would be ecstatic if the Browns picked Barkley first, even though I can see the Giants trading down because they don't want to pick a QB
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
DaHeezy
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
When was the last time the best RB won a super bowl? Was Emmitt Smith the best RB? What I mean is, you don't have to have the best RB to go all the way. I know I don't want the Giants to use the 2nd pick on Barkley, regardless of how good he will be. I was happy getting diamonds like Ahmad Bradshaw in the 7th round.

I would be ecstatic if the Browns picked Barkley first, even though I can see the Giants trading down because they don't want to pick a QB

What you're missing is they have the 4th pick
It's practically the first pick. That theory only works if that's the only pick of the round. It's practically a first. Indy is not taking a QB. And if your point pans out so won't the Giants. (They will)

The likelihood of their QB land on the 4th is WAY more likely than Barkley landing on the 4th. We don't even know if the Browns want Darnold. He had a bad year. So take Barkley and likely your QB will fall into your lap.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: