Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #31
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter
 
DukeDelonte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,932
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
IMO the Browns should take Chubb first and one of the 3 elite defensive backs 4th, or trade down on one or both picks.

The Browns need a LOT more than just a QB to start winning games. Their offensive line is a mess now that Thomas is done, they have a few solid offensive skill players but not enough, and there are holes all over the defense. Why spend a 1st overall pick on a QB when you know the guy is going to get slaughtered by your o-line and you have barely any targets to help him out?

Another thing to consider is the fact that Hue Jackson is a terrible leader, and already showed that he is more than willing to throw his rookie QB under the bus and hang them out to dry. What Hue did to Kizer last season was borderline criminal, and after that shit nobody should have any faith that Hue is remotely capable of developing a young QB. Hue is 1-31 in his career as Browns coach and for good reason, the Browns talent is below average but they arent 1-31 bad... even trash teams like the Bears and Jets managed 5 wins a piece last year, 1 win in two years is ludicrous. Hue is an idiot and I would bet the farm that he is going to try to ruin whoever the Browns draft at QB this year.


Just stop. This is what browns fans say every year. "TOO MANY HOLES TO FILL BEFORE QB" Every. F*cking. Year.

Take the QB you want at 1 and don't look back.

Hue handled Kizer fine. He coached him. When Kizer threw 3 picks in a half he got yanked. That's not criminal. That's what any sane coach would do with a 2nd round pick out of Notre Dame who's claim to fame was beating out Cody kessler and Kevin Hogan for the starting position. Kizer was a historically bad rookie QB and the stats, eye test, literally everything back that up.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #32
Duderonomy
Perrrfect
 
Duderonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 2,303
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

I would draft Barley and see who falls to #4. You could probably still get Allen or Mayfield.


I think they will draft their guy #1 and try to get a RGIII/rams type trade.
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:32 AM   #33
poido123
Down with GLOBALISM
 
poido123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,591
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

That first pick was embarrassing.

Browns drafting staff need to be fired. Why bring over Tyrod? If you are drafting a QB at 1?

Mayfield is like, 6 feet tall. In today’s nfl, he will struggle to throw in the tight pocket space and large defensive linemen.

Another white kid thriving in college because of spacing. Flop of a pick.

Last edited by poido123 : 04-27-2018 at 02:44 AM.
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #34
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter
 
DukeDelonte13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,932
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123
That first pick was embarrassing.

Browns drafting staff need to be fired. Why bring over Tyrod? If you are drafting a QB at 1?

Mayfield is like, 6 feet tall. In today’s nfl, he will struggle to throw in the tight pocket space and large defensive linemen.

Another white kid thriving in college because of spacing. Flop of a pick.

Newsflash: College football has zero parity and most of the time big program QBs are going to have tons of room to operate as 85% of their games are glorified exhibition matches.

Also, how many programs actually run real deal pro style offenses?

Browns picked the QB who is the most accurate, won the most, and by all accounts is the best leader.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #35
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 22,655
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Mayfield is s stud. The best passer in this draft. If anyone can turn that team around, it's him. They made the correct pick.

That said, it might be a decent idea to sit him year one. These things take time. Tyrod is probably underrated and it might be good for Baker to learn first rather than rush him out there.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #36
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,366
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Would’ve went Darnold (P Rivers) and Chubb. Don’t get the Ward pick at 4. Could’ve traded down to get him.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #37
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,095
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Would’ve went Darnold (P Rivers) and Chubb. Don’t get the Ward pick at 4. Could’ve traded down to get him.
Yeah, I'm more disappointed in the #4 pick than Mayfield tbh.

If you think Baker Mayfield is your guy, you have to take him first. I have a spotty history in grading QBs coming out of college, so I'm not going to act like I have the answers to who will be a bust and who will be a Pro Bowler. I never thought Watson would be as good as he was last year.

Mayfield is very accurate and climbs the pocket well from what I've seen. He keeps his eyes downfield and will only run as a last resort. He also reportedly lives and breathes football. Give me the accurate guy who is the first one in, last one out over the prototypical big-armed QB.

So, while it isn't the pick I would have necessarily made, I can talk myself into it.

Ward at #4 felt like a reach. I liked the idea of pairing Chubb and Garrett with Ogbah as the 3rd pass-rusher. There are plenty of good DBs still on the board that could have been addressed today.

I guess Dorsey figures the two top players on his board were Mayfield and Ward and he was just going to take them instead of risking moving down and losing out.

I don't know... the draft feels sort of like a crapshoot anyway.

If the Browns had taken JJ Watt, for example, 6th overall in the 2011 draft, people would have been stunned because he was being mocked to go more toward the middle of the first round than early. At the end of the day, the mock drafts serve better as a time capsule than anything else.

I guess we'll find out.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #38
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,366
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Yeah, I'm more disappointed in the #4 pick than Mayfield tbh.

If you think Baker Mayfield is your guy, you have to take him first. I have a spotty history in grading QBs coming out of college, so I'm not going to act like I have the answers to who will be a bust and who will be a Pro Bowler. I never thought Watson would be as good as he was last year.

Mayfield is very accurate and climbs the pocket well from what I've seen. He keeps his eyes downfield and will only run as a last resort. He also reportedly lives and breathes football. Give me the accurate guy who is the first one in, last one out over the prototypical big-armed QB.

So, while it isn't the pick I would have necessarily made, I can talk myself into it.

Ward at #4 felt like a reach. I liked the idea of pairing Chubb and Garrett with Ogbah as the 3rd pass-rusher. There are plenty of good DBs still on the board that could have been addressed today.

I guess Dorsey figures the two top players on his board were Mayfield and Ward and he was just going to take them instead of risking moving down and losing out.

I don't know... the draft feels sort of like a crapshoot anyway.

If the Browns had taken JJ Watt, for example, 6th overall in the 2011 draft, people would have been stunned because he was being mocked to go more toward the middle of the first round than early. At the end of the day, the mock drafts serve better as a time capsule than anything else.

I guess we'll find out.

Couple questions do you think they could have got Baker at 4? I get if he's your guy you take him and dont risk someone else grabbing him (Giants, Jets). But I think they could have landed him at 4. However I would need to know the pulse of the Jets and Giants as far as who they had on their big board. At 4 tho I hear you about the mocks. But I look at it more from a best player available standpoint. And Chubb was just the better talent over Ward. Regardless of mocks. If this draft didn't have so many QBs he goes higher. I think Giants would have considered it if they didnt get Barkley. I say that just knowing they could use a pass rusher of his caliber after moving on from JPP. Not saying it knowing the buzz around the Giants when it comes to players. I don't even see Ward as being better than Lattimore who went lower last draft. Just seemed like a need pick more than BPA pick. And I'm just on the side of the fence where you take BPA over need that high.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #39
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,095
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Couple questions do you think they could have got Baker at 4? I get if he's your guy you take him and dont risk someone else grabbing him (Giants, Jets). But I think they could have landed him at 4. However I would need to know the pulse of the Jets and Giants as far as who they had on their big board. At 4 tho I hear you about the mocks. But I look at it more from a best player available standpoint. And Chubb was just the better talent over Ward. Regardless of mocks. If this draft didn't have so many QBs he goes higher. I think Giants would have considered it if they didnt get Barkley. I say that just knowing they could use a pass rusher of his caliber after moving on from JPP. Not saying it knowing the buzz around the Giants when it comes to players. I don't even see Ward as being better than Lattimore who went lower last draft. Just seemed like a need pick more than BPA pick. And I'm just on the side of the fence where you take BPA over need that high.
Completely agree. I am just assuming Dorsey had Ward rated above Chubb, which is possible. He is an elite cover-corner prospect. If it truly was need and fit over BPA, then I'm with you. When you're picking that high in the draft, you take the top player on the board and figure it out later. Hopefully Ward will be that.

And, Lattimore was pretty awesome last year. I think if we re-draft, even just a year later, he goes higher.

As to taking Mayfield at #4, the Jets reportedly were going to take him at #3 if he was there. Now, maybe that was a smoke-screen? We'll never know for sure. But all the talk I heard leading into yesterday was that the Jets loved him and were ready to take him.

Who knows what the real story is.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #40
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,614
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

What were these morons thinking? Mayfield with 1st overall pick?

They could have traded down and still gotten Mayfield at 5 or 6.. Or just use 4th pick to draft Mayfield. Who in their right mind would pass up on Chubb? And look, Josh Jackson is still on the board in 2nd round.. He is almost just as good as Ward.. They could have traded down #1 pick, gotten 2 2nd round picks this year and 2 more next year and end up with Chubb, Mayfield and Jackson.. They would have 5 2nd round picks this year.

Horrendous organization that deserves next 10 years of this:

bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #41
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,095
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

^^^

So, you're saying you disagree with the picks they made? Just for clarity.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #42
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12
 
Doomsday Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ?
Posts: 17,504
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

The Cleveland Browns need to be removed from the NFL
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #43
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,614
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
^^^

So, you're saying you disagree with the picks they made? Just for clarity.

I disagree with Ward. Only because Chubb was still on the board. Chubb is a once-in-a-generation sort of defense player ala JJ Watt. Pass rushers are the 2nd hardest position to find an elite player (only 2nd to QB). If you get a chance at Chubb, you take him.

I'm good with picking Mayfield but not as #1 overall. Should have picked Chubb #1 and Mayfield #4 at the very least. If their eyes were truly set on Ward though, they should have traded down the #1 pick to maybe 7 or 8 & received 2 2nd-rounders and taken Mayfield at #4. If Mayfield is gone at 4 then you take Darnold or Rosen. Ward would have most likely still been there at 7 or 8.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #44
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,095
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
This makes perfect sense, because the fans that have been desperately holding on for years waiting for a winner... the fans that still show out in Cleveland every week at the stadium and on TV, year after year, disaster after disaster...

Let's punish them because, what? The team isn't good?

Fantastic take.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #45
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12
 
Doomsday Dallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ?
Posts: 17,504
Default Re: Browns 1st and 4th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
This makes perfect sense, because the fans that have been desperately holding on for years waiting for a winner... the fans that still show out in Cleveland every week at the stadium and on TV, year after year, disaster after disaster...

Let's punish them because, what? The team isn't good?

Fantastic take.

he's just joking...

but does make a few good points about Chubb and Barkley.

Kevin Costner has failed your team again.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy