Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #16
ROCSteady
One of One

Default Re: Best WR corps ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
OP got the wrong 9ers unit up there. Should be that 2000 team with TO and Rice. Just to be a contrarian to nanners point... this might be 2 of the top 5 GOATs

TO didn't really get going til Rice was no longer a superstar. Even though they played together, which is awesome, they never dominated together.

That John Taylor cat would burn teams on the regular and this was when Jerry was GOAT.

Rice and TO are top 5 for sure
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #17
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Why would anyone put TO/Rice in this conversation?

Rice was a shell of himself and Owens was not TO yet.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #18
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
TO didn't really get going til Rice was no longer a superstar. Even though they played together, which is awesome, they never dominated together.

That John Taylor cat would burn teams on the regular and this was when Jerry was GOAT.

Rice and TO are top 5 for sure
I was just having some fun with nanners. Wasn't really calling you out for anything

Then there's this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Why would anyone put TO/Rice in this conversation?

Rice was a shell of himself and Owens was not TO yet.

Why would anyone put them in this conversation? Are you serious right now? A shell of himself? Give me a break. Did you forget what happened in 99? Steve Young died and welcome to the NFL Jeff Garcia. He was still that dude who would get first downs when the whole ****ing world knew the ball was going to him. He still blocked like a champ downfield. The only thing he was lacking in those years was that runaway speed to get over the top. Just because his peak play was so far above anyone else doesn't mean he was a shell of himself when he came back down to mortal after a major knee.

Not TO yet? Their last year together he was goddamn minted as TO. That was his arrival.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:28 AM   #19
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

You are right, I was thinking the previous year when the season ended in 2000.

But what you have is a great WR and Jerry Rice who at the time was a ****ing shell of the GOAT he was.

I don't think he went over 850 yards his last two years in SF and he played every game possible.

It's like saying Shaq was Shaq in PHX.

Prime Bolden + Fitz shits over them for example,not to mention the other dozen combinations.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #20
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
well there are different ways to judge "best". I can see how people would pick the 99 rams based on the fact that their #3, #4 (and #5 if you count faulk) were far more impressive than the 3-4-5 on a team like the 98 Vikings.

that said I am definitely picking that vikings team. they had two guys who are both top 10 all time (including moss, a once in several generations talent who is like #2 or 3 overall). some of these teams dont even have one guy who is top 10 all time, and aside from the vikings nobody has ever had 2 of them.

Scheme is pretty important to what receiving corps could be the best.

The Redskins trio only has one top 10 guy, who probably isn't even a top 10 Wr anymore, and they dominated for a while all together under Gibbs.

That Bills receiving corps that took them to 4 straight SBs were dominate in their own right because they were an excellent unit in a great offensive system
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #21
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Of all these great duos and wr corps, one thing is a common and that's an excellent qb.

Was Fitz and Boldin dominating with scrub qbs?

My memory says yes. I know Fitzgerald was doing numbers with Matt Leinart but I'm not sure Boldin was.

To me those two dominating like that with scrubs throwing them the ball makes them an intriguing answer to this question.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:30 AM   #22
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Scheme is pretty important to what receiving corps could be the best.

The Redskins trio only has one top 10 guy, who probably isn't even a top 10 Wr anymore, and they dominated for a while all together under Gibbs.

That Bills receiving corps that took them to 4 straight SBs were dominate in their own right because they were an excellent unit in a great offensive system

doesnt looking at scheme reinforce the argument for moss+carter? Its not like randall cunningham was particularly special...
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:38 AM   #23
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Of all these great duos and wr corps, one thing is a common and that's an excellent qb.

Was Fitz and Boldin dominating with scrub qbs?

My memory says yes. I know Fitzgerald was doing numbers with Matt Leinart but I'm not sure Boldin was.

To me those two dominating like that with scrubs throwing them the ball makes them an intriguing answer to this question.

I would say Fitz + Boldin def belongs somewhere near the top of this list. Obviously straight up yards is not a good way to judge WRs, but still... its pretty damn impressive that Fitz is 3rd all time in receiving (will almost certainly overtake 2nd next year), while Boldin is 14th all time.... and these numbers are even more impressive when you consider that the best QB either of them ever played with was probably an ancient version of Kurt Warner.

Last edited by Nanners : 04-12-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
BlakFrankWhite
ISH Thunder GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
I think Juju and AB will be on that list very soon.
BlakFrankWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #25
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Quote:
Julio and White deserve to be mentioned.

1999 Rams easily for me. Two HOF WRs surrounded by very capable 3 and 4th WRs and Faulk has to be included in the WR group he split out as a true WR plenty and had 1000 yards recieving

This.

I forgot the name of the 3rd/4th receivers for the Rams but I remember NFL network doing a 1 hr documentary of the team and saying that their #3/4 receivers would have been legit #1/2s on the mediocre teams in the league.

Their OLine was pretty nasty too with Orlando Pace being their LT. Kurt Warner was literally handed a team that was loaded with talent, kind of like Mahomes this season (although I think Warner even had more talent on his team overall on the offense).
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Quote:
You are right, I was thinking the previous year when the season ended in 2000.

But what you have is a great WR and Jerry Rice who at the time was a ****ing shell of the GOAT he was.

I don't think he went over 850 yards his last two years in SF and he played every game possible.

It's like saying Shaq was Shaq in PHX.

Prime Bolden + Fitz shits over them for example,not to mention the other dozen combinations.

The physicality that Bolden and Fitz bought to the game too . Both were workhouse type of receivers. Didn't those teams also have Breaston? He was pretty legit too. A legit #2 receiver on almost any other team. Literally punishing corners trying to talk them in single coverage. Jeez Kurt Warner was really spoiled throughout his best "peaks" in his careers with HoF receivers.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: