Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #16
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Default Re: $$$ and stuff-- how important are they in your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
lofty goals.

money alone cannot do that for you.

you need charisma, leadership, and a lot of people to like and support you

anyway, back to Rainier:

people envy millionaires because rich people can not work very hard but enjoy themselvse at all times. ordinary people have to work everyday and then some just to make ends meet with little to no time for self-enjoyment.

you have to work HARD to become rich, Rich people spent all their time studying as kids instead of partying. Then while the kids who goofed off there high school/ college are cutting grass, they are riding in their jet.

Except the people that inherit money.

If I have a lot of money when I die, I'm not sure if I want to give it to my kids. Maybe give it all to charity or something.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #17
gb8
Extra Cheese

Its not human nature to want things and contnue to be part of the rat race, we have been thought these things within the capitalist system. The fruits of our labour are never equal to the amount of labour put in unless you are at the top where the fruits of your labour will far outweigh your contributions.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
you have to work HARD to become rich, Rich people spent all their time studying as kids instead of partying. Then while the kids who goofed off there high school/ college are cutting grass, they are riding in their jet.

Except the people that inherit money.

If I have a lot of money when I die, I'm not sure if I want to give it to my kids. Maybe give it all to charity or something.

That fully ignornant. You actually need to look at the movement of the classes and what percentage chance one has to move up class if they are born in say the working class. Learn to educate yourself before making ignorant statements like that.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #19
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Yeah you can make as many excuses as you want. If you wanted to go to college and put in the work you could have. Almost anyone can get a student loan nowadays.

I mean if you want to be another statistic go ahead, just keeping saying you will be and bam you are one. All you have to do is get good grades, work hard, work harder, and you can have a great life.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #20
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Yeah you can make as many excuses as you want. If you wanted to go to college and put in the work you could have. Almost anyone can get a student loan nowadays.

I mean if you want to be another statistic go ahead, just keeping saying you will be and bam you are one. All you have to do is get good grades, work hard, work harder, and you can have a great life.

some people are inherently less intelligent/stupid

some peopel are inherently less well off because circumstances surrounding their upbringing force them not to study.

etc...

not everyone can work hard.

but there is one common denominator:

if you were born a beautiful person, you will have success in any field you choose... or at least an easier time,
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #21
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:

Look getting a degree dont mean ****. You really need to do some research fool. not everyone that workds hard is successfull, its got as much to do with connections, right place right time and the type of school you went to. You must be lie 15 years old and clueless to think the world works like your describe.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #22
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
Look getting a degree dont mean ****. You really need to do some research fool. not everyone that workds hard is successfull, its got as much to do with connections, right place right time and the type of school you went to. You must be lie 15 years old and clueless to think the world works like your describe.

Lol of course you would say that. If you try to make it harder than it is, well guess what it will be!!!

How many people do you know that have a degree and are working in a fastfood place? How many people who went to school did well are cutting grass, working at the local plant?

HUH yeah thats what I thought. Obviously you might not become rich, but you can deff have a GOOD life. Just pick the right field and work hard.

Look all I'm saying is if you want it bad enough you can get it.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #23
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
some people are inherently less intelligent/stupid

some peopel are inherently less well off because circumstances surrounding their upbringing force them not to study.

etc...

not everyone can work hard.

but there is one common denominator:

if you were born a beautiful person, you will have success in any field you choose... or at least an easier time,

Yeah some people don't have the mental or physical capacity to have a normal life. They are handicapped. If you have a normal IQ than that is not an excuse.

Yeah in some circumstances kids can have a problem studying because of parents or distractions, but really how often does that happen?

Being beautiful certainly helps, but if you look normal, you won't have a problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #24
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Being wealthy is all about financial literacy. They don't exactly teach that in schools - including college. There are a lot more millionaires than people think and most of them are so-called "middle class" people who know how to invest their money. If people weren't so busy trying to dress like Paris Hilton or get a diamond Jesus necklace or grill like Nelly, then maybe they would figure these things out, but the vast majority of people want to APPEAR well off. It's a bunch of ego BS prepetuated by a shallow, souless pop-culture that keeps us consuming any and everything we think will enrich our hollow lives.
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #25
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Lol of course you would say that. If you try to make it harder than it is, well guess what it will be!!!

How many people do you know that have a degree and are working in a fastfood place? How many people who went to school did well are cutting grass, working at the local plant?

HUH yeah thats what I thought. Obviously you might not become rich, but you can deff have a GOOD life. Just pick the right field and work hard.

Look all I'm saying is if you want it bad enough you can get it.

So a good life for you is stuck in the rat race having to work 9 till 5 for the rest of your life just to make ends meet? All the real money is with big corporations and their boad members everyone else gets whatever they kick down to us. The trickle down effect is a lie it doesnt actually happen and the people at the top continue to get richer at a dispaportionate rate. And I do know people that have dgrees that cant get jobs and are working in supermarkets and stuff because there is nothing out there for them. And in terms of distraction it happens a hell of a lot. I would suggest you read Equality by Alex Calinicos just as an introduction to economics and how it effects society.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #26
Sharas
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
So a good life for you is stuck in the rat race having to work 9 till 5 for the rest of your life just to make ends meet? All the real money is with big corporations and their boad members everyone else gets whatever they kick down to us. The trickle down effect is a lie it doesnt actually happen and the people at the top continue to get richer at a dispaportionate rate. And I do know people that have dgrees that cant get jobs and are working in supermarkets and stuff because there is nothing out there for them. And in terms of distraction it happens a hell of a lot. I would suggest you read Equality by Alex Calinicos just as an introduction to economics and how it effects society.

having a college degree can only affect your chances for success positively.
same for hard work.

not all workaholics are millionaires, but most millionaires are workaholics. and most of them (obvious exceptions are people that inherit a fortune or win it at the lottery) are pretty darn good at whichever business they're in.

all of them don't have great formal education. but all of them do have PRACTICAL knowledge and education at their field of choice. which means, they did worked hard to learn it. and it doesn't always has to mean your traditional kind of work. great athletes or artists "work" in different sense of the word. but they still have to work their asses off to become rich. to succeed in politics, you must develop your charisma, leadership and connections. and that's not easiest thing in the world to do.

my point is, whoever earns huge money, he earns it for some extraordinary skill or ability of his. which is in 99% cases developed by hard work. and there are many different kinds of "work", but whoever earns money by himself, he had to work for it. in some sense or another.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #27
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
vast majority of millionaires are people that worker harder and/or were smarter than vast majority of people.

Rich people dont work harder than poor people... they work smarter and get more for their production than do poor people..

Poor people dont know the rules and dont have the connections that rich people do.

the OP was absolutely right.... and its sad that people value money more than human life...

I hear all the time how "SO & SO is not worth that money" or complaints about paying money to help others...People have no respect for human life, that is the reason why our society is deteriorating right before our eyes...It is why people treat each other so poorly these days...

If money is more valuable than human life, then how come money can't bring back a dead person?
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #28
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
having a college degree can only affect your chances for success positively.
same for hard work.

not all workaholics are millionaires, but most millionaires are workaholics. and most of them (obvious exceptions are people that inherit a fortune or win it at the lottery) are pretty darn good at whichever business they're in.

all of them don't have great formal education. but all of them do have PRACTICAL knowledge and education at their field of choice. which means, they did worked hard to learn it. and it doesn't always has to mean your traditional kind of work. great athletes or artists "work" in different sense of the word. but they still have to work their asses off to become rich. to succeed in politics, you must develop your charisma, leadership and connections. and that's not easiest thing in the world to do.

my point is, whoever earns huge money, he earns it for some extraordinary skill or ability of his. which is in 99% cases developed by hard work. and there are many different kinds of "work", but whoever earns money by himself, he had to work for it. in some sense or another.

I beg to differ, The types of rich people you are reffering to are ones that are marketed to us and advertised. How bout the rich folks at enron. The oil rich people that are in positions of power because of nepotism. There are more rich people that are in positions of power because of where and who they were born too.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #29
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
I beg to differ, The types of rich people you are reffering to are ones that are marketed to us and advertised. How bout the rich folks at enron. The oil rich people that are in positions of power because of nepotism. There are more rich people that are in positions of power because of where and who they were born too.

old money baybee!

you cant make real money until you go into business for yourself. The salary man is the biggest sucker in the game, thinks he's caking it with his nice ride and cush pad when he is basically an endentured servant with nice toys, and occasional distraction.

people who have their own business bust balls for a short period and then do sweet F-A for the rest of their life.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #30
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
old money baybee!

you cant make real money until you go into business for yourself. The salary man is the biggest sucker in the game, thinks he's caking it with his nice ride and cush pad when he is basically an endentured servant with nice toys, and occasional distraction.

people who have their own business bust balls for a short period and then do sweet F-A for the rest of their life.

Real talk Gun talk, you are always a slave no matter well u are paid if you work for someone else in this system.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: