Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

Default Grading your teams draft

Team: Lions
Overall Grade: B-

1st round - Frank Ragnow, Center, Arkansas
This isn't what I was expecting at all, but I'm not mad at it. The Lions haven't had a reputable run game since the turn of the millennium and offensive line health has been a huge contributor to that as of late. Managing to start three years in the SEC without giving up a sack is a huge accomplishment. Was terrified by the mocks of Guice in this spot, big improvement on that.

2nd round - Kerryon Johnson, Running Back, Auburn
When the Lions traded up, I certainly thought it'd be for Guice. Very happy it ended up being Kerryon instead. After making the decision not to go after a defensive talent like Landry in the first round, I'm cool with the all in approach to improve the run game. With the addition of LeGarrette Blount, I'm not sure what this spells for Riddick and Abudllah, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the former traded and the latter released come season end.

3rd Round - Tracy Walker, Safety, Louisiana - Lafayette
This was the pick I liked the least of the draft. After sitting on it for a few days it isn't as bad, but the needs on the front 7 are way too glaring to be overlooked for more help to what is already a very good secondary.

4th Round - D'Shawn Hand, Defensive Lineman, Alabama
As a result of the 3rd round pick being a little lackluster, in tune I felt like this positional pick could have been made earlier and with someone who is actually proven. A lot of Alabama connections on this team the last 2 years, hopefully he can find a contributing home.

5th Round - Tyrell Cosby, Offensive Tackle, Oregon
Another guy I didn't know anything about pre-draft, but one that has wowed me. A behemoth of a man. If he can stay healthy and provide a bit of lee-way for the already strong startling line, I like this a lot.

7th Round - Nick Bawden, Full Back, San Diego State
One of the best run blocking full backs in the ncaa + drafting two offensive lineman + drafting a running back = if the lions don't get a 100 yard rusher once this year then they are doomed to never do it.

Overall takeaways - I still feel really really bad about the lions defensive line. They lost veterans in Ngata and Freeney and will need to rely on always injured Ziggy and Kerry Hyder, who is coming off an achilles tear and zero real game snaps in 2017. I appreciate going hard after the run game as that was arguably a worse defect than their pass rush was last year. Our new GM Bob Quinn has done an excellent job drafting late rounds the past two years, so hopefully a couple more guys pan out and this draft materializes a bit more than I currently expect it to.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Default Re: Grading your teams draft

It's hard to grade. I don't know how good Saquon will really turn out. He could become an all time great and I'd still be annoyed if they never win a super bowl with him especially if the Jets win 1 with Darnald
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Leighton Vander Esch highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDmDpzUAwzY

A+ Draft
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Since everybody always thinks their team drafted well, I am gonna zag and give the seahawks a D-

I dunno anything about Penny but "Penny" is a terrible name for any football player. They also traded up for a punter, when has that ever worked? Most importantly, they got zero offensive lineman, which is obviously the teams greatest need...

... at least they got that kid with 1 arm
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Hated the Seahawks draft. Pete was fantastic drafting early probably because he knew all the incoming talent very well. He recruited most of them I bet.

But they have been drafting below average and now this draft I hate. They won with defense and running game and a solid oline. I get the Penny pick in theory but I had a 4/5 round on him.

Dallas was great.

I thought our draft was fantastic. We finally have an identity hopefully. The generational guard prospect and we have what many thought was the best center prospect in ten years in Ryan Kelly. And we drafted another very talented guard in early second this year.

I love denvers draft.

Arizona got their QB for cheap. And I like Rosen the player a lot. Very safe prospect on the field we'll see about his attitude and durability.

Jets obviously did well. I thought darnold was the best qb in draft.

Hated the 49er draft

Oakland.... I like kolten Miller's talent a lot. But I get the feeling it was a panicked pick because the next tackle prospect was like a third round type guy.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Since everybody always thinks their team drafted well, I am gonna zag and give the seahawks a D-

I dunno anything about Penny but "Penny" is a terrible name for any football player. They also traded up for a punter, when has that ever worked? Most importantly, they got zero offensive lineman, which is obviously the teams greatest need...

... at least they got that kid with 1 arm
yeah, came away feeling the same. It's going to be a tough stretch for the seahawks if they can't do anything for wilson
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Browns A+

They took blue chip players instead of trading down. They did what a bad team is supposed to do. For that they get an A.

I find it so ironic that the last few drafts all the "experts" and superfans were raving about how smart the browns were to get the haul from philly and pass on wentz and how they were smart not to reach on watson or trubisky, etc.

It's time to f*cking reach.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
Mex-Laker
I rule the local playground

Bucs A+

I think this is going to be an excellent class, but it was all made by our GM, obviously we were aiming at the Big 3 (Barkley, Chubb and Nelson), since these last 2 were off the board with the previous picks, we had no business in drafting anyone at 7, so he traded down to #12 for 2 second round picks and picking basically the same guy they had rated that high at 7, but at 12, with 2 extra picks; Vita Vea, this guy will bring some nastyness along with all the hiring they did on the offseason to this DLine, I don't think I've been more excited about a Bucs D-Line, in more than 10 years.

3 second round picks, 1 RB (Ronald Jones from USC) with the explosiveness the team has been lacking, and 2 potentially good CB's (MJ Stewart from NC and Carlton Davis from Auburn), along with a Mauler in Alex Cappa from D2, in the 3rd round.

I won't go deep into the other rounds, but we filled our needs, which is filling both lines with Nasty players, along with finding an explosive RB and 2 CB's which this secondary needs.

Looks to be an exciting next season! GO BUCS!!!
Mex-Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I'd give the Steelers a B-/C+.

I think they reached on Terrell Edmunds in round 1 but I understand what they're aiming for with the freak athlete saftey/linebacker hybrid. James Washington & Mason Rudolph seem like really good values in round 2/3 and maybe we can finally have a competent young QB to be the Ben's apprentice. Plus, another 3rd rounder to draft a RT and add OL depth is a plus. After that it was most adding depth to positions where we've previously been bitten by the injury bug.

I think it was a fine draft but the middle of our defense is still looking pretty weak with the Shazier injury and no clear plan on how to address that gap.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
JBSptfn
I usually hit open layups

Broncos: A-

Bradley Chubb will give them another impact defender opposite Von Miller, but a big story is what Elway did on Day 2. He got two guys who should provide help for an anemic offense right away in Courtland Sutton and Royce Freeman. In recent years, Elway's Day 2 draft performance has been shaky, so it was nice to see him turn that around in a big way.

On Day 3, he got Iowa ILB Josey Jewell and Penn State WR DaeSean Hamilton. Jewell will be a special teams contributor right away, and could push the below average Todd Davis out of his starting ILB role. Hamilton could give the Broncos the slot WR they have lacked since Welker. Wisconsin TE Troy Fumagalli may surprise as well. He is a player that the Bronco coaches spent some time with at the Senior Bowl.

Also, while they aren't part of the draft, Denver did get some solid UDFA prospects in Colorado RB Phillip Lindsay, Auburn EDGE Jeff Holland, and Utah NT Lowell Lotulelei. Elway has been the king of UDFA in recent years, so I expect at least one player to make it from his undrafted crop.
JBSptfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #11
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Team: Colts
Grade: B

First round was great in G Quenton Nelson. I would have considered moving down couple slots to pick up another 2nd rounder. Not a fan of drafting a guard that high at 6, but couple people told me Nelson will be a top 3 guard in all of nfl. He can do it all so I might be wrong to suggest moving down. I am good with Nelson. It's probably for the best because the position he plays - he will be around next 10yrs at least.

We will have a frontline of Anthony Castanzo, Quenton Nelson, Ryan Kelly, Braden Smith, and Mewhort if he can switch to Right Tackle. That should be a top 10 o-line in nfl, potentially top 5. Mewhort is the only question mark due to his health, but he is a solid player.

Second round I'm not so sure.. Darius Leonard was solid pick, but I don't think I would use the other pick on Braden Smith. Harold Landry, the DE, and Josh Jackson the CB were on the board. If we took Landy or Jackson instead of Smith, I would bump us up to A- but we didn't. Later in 2nd, we took 2 DEs Turay and Tyquan Lewis.. We needed DE because we are shifting to 4-3 system. Both are potential rotation picks and not much more. Was these the best picks available??

Later rounds.. Nyheim Hines in round 4 has potential at RB but he is raw & will begin career as the #2 RB on Colts. Deon Cain solid pick at WR in 6th round, a steal for that late in draft.. Round 7 usually are busts or practice players so I won't bother with those.

Last edited by bladefd : 05-04-2018 at 08:13 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Hated the Seahawks draft. Pete was fantastic drafting early probably because he knew all the incoming talent very well. He recruited most of them I bet.

But they have been drafting below average and now this draft I hate. They won with defense and running game and a solid oline. I get the Penny pick in theory but I had a 4/5 round on him.

Yep, Carolls first 3 drafts were absurd (possibly the best 3 year drafting stretch of all time) but he has been completely mediocre since then.

I love Pete as a coach, but he certainly has his flaws. One of those flaws is his devotion toward his useless jabroni ass assistant coaches, I def think he needs to do a better job of surrounding himself with a competent staff. Bevell was complete trash for YEARS and it took way too long to get rid of him, and the same could probably be said about Cable as well.

Its hard to believe it when you see him dancing around on the sidelines, but Pete is currently the oldest coach in the NFL. I think that age has been showing over the past couple of years, and while I will continue to love having Pete as a head coach, I think Paul Allen needs to put him behind a GM who can overrule his bad draft decisions and reign him in when hes acting too Pete-ey.

Last edited by Nanners : 05-05-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #13
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I was just thinking about the Seahawks situation and how the NFL is basically designed to bring a team like them back down to earth with how the salary cap works. If you don't draft extremely well and win nearly every trade, it's almost impossible to maintain dominance. It really makes the Patriots run look remarkable.

It's amazing how efficient the NFL is set up for parity and turnover at the top of the league. Success is so dominated by young talent that you see teams ascend and descend so quickly based on where they draft. There are obviously exceptions like New England/Pittsburgh and Cleveland/Buffalo. But there is are clear paths to rapidly improve for bad teams and little room for error for elite teams.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #14
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I was just thinking about the Seahawks situation and how the NFL is basically designed to bring a team like them back down to earth with how the salary cap works. If you don't draft extremely well and win nearly every trade, it's almost impossible to maintain dominance. It really makes the Patriots run look remarkable.

It's amazing how efficient the NFL is set up for parity and turnover at the top of the league. Success is so dominated by young talent that you see teams ascend and descend so quickly based on where they draft. There are obviously exceptions like New England/Pittsburgh and Cleveland/Buffalo. But there is are clear paths to rapidly improve for bad teams and little room for error for elite teams.

All it is is landing a great quarterback that can stay healthy. Bolded are two extremes of that thought.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
BlakFrankWhite
ISH Thunder GM

Steelers

C-
BlakFrankWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: