Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
qrich
King Heno

Default Re: If JO and Artest trade does not come through, what should be next move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman222
the grizzlies are on the better end of that deal.....no way give up bynum and odom for gasol.....i dont know, maybe im a little bias, but i dont think gasol's that great of a player....why did his team suck so bad this year.....and better yet, why do we want two starters from a team that had the worst record in the nba.......now i know this is our last option....but if it comes to this i'd rather keep bynum and odom...

Your a lot bias to be honest. Gasol is an exceptionally solid player, and is a star in this league, a premier big man, something Odom will never be, and Bynum might not reach, no matter how much potential he might have.

Gasol was injured for most of the season, that's why his team was horrible, if he was healthy, they would have been in the playoff race, and would have made it in my opinion.

If anything, the Grizzlies are getting the short end on the original posters trade. They are getting a downgrade from Gasol to Odom, lose a player they are high on in Warrick, and getting a project Center, who might never improve, or might end up being solid, but not great. Not to mention a bust. Only positive parts might be IF Bynum ends up good and the fact they dump Brian Cardinal's contract.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #17
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Default Re: If JO and Artest trade does not come through, what should be next move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
People here just don't seem to appreciate the value of post players.
In the end folks, they're the most important piece of puzzle to every team.
Post play is IMO the most important part of basketball.
The Gasol trade would be fantastic for the Lakers.
Too good to be true. Which is why it won't happen.

It's a nice idea but Gasol doesn't want out anymore and it's all too far fetched. In short, it's not happening. But it'd be fantastic.

not true...i do appreciate the value of a post player...which is why i want to keep bynum....i just dont appreciate the value of gasol.....
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
not true...i do appreciate the value of a post player...which is why i want to keep bynum....i just dont appreciate the value of gasol.....

So, you'd prefer Bynum/Odom starting in the front court, as opposed to Gasol|Magloire[he should sign for the MLE]?

Bynum is nothing but a project, if you want a project C after dealing for Gasol, deal #19, Future #2 to the Sonics for one of their three project Centers, you know, Robert Swift, Saer Sene or Johan Petro, one of which, will end up being better then Andrew imo.

Livingston was a project, a project which my Clippers retardly passed up on Pierce and Iverson, reportedly to keep Livingston. I believe Carter was also passed up on to keep Shaun, and we saw what happened. Not saying Andrew will get hurt, but if you can trade a project in order to acquire a star, you do it, varying the rest of the trade does not involve your team getting raped, which the one by the OP actually had Memphis getting raped, and the one I posted makes it more equal for both sides.

Last edited by qrich : 06-13-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #19
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Your a lot bias to be honest. Gasol is an exceptionally solid player, and is a star in this league, a premier big man, something Odom will never be, and Bynum might not reach, no matter how much potential he might have.

Gasol was injured for most of the season, that's why his team was horrible, if he was healthy, they would have been in the playoff race, and would have made it in my opinion.

If anything, the Grizzlies are getting the short end on the original posters trade. They are getting a downgrade from Gasol to Odom, lose a player they are high on in Warrick, and getting a project Center, who might never improve, or might end up being solid, but not great. Not to mention a bust. Only positive parts might be IF Bynum ends up good and the fact they dump Brian Cardinal's contract.

see, the problem is that you hold no value in bynum....i think if he started every game next year.....he'd give you close to a double double every night....
Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #20
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

Honestly, I agree with the popular vote:

We don't land J.O., Kobe gets traded to New York or Chicago. I'm banking that Isiah will do a "Hershel Walker" trade to get Kobe in Gothom (next 7 #1 draft picks, Crawford, Starbury, Lee, etc, etc). Phil won't sign his extension, Kwame gets traded by February for some chump change and we end up with B.Shaw or Rambis as the H.C.

Speculating the MLE - it would go to a PG. The backcourt needs help - Farmar can't do it alone and Sasha can't get it done at the point. 2 of our 3 PG's are gone (Smush and Shammond).

I'm seeing the dark era of Terry Teagle and Sedale Threatt all over again.
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #21
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:

actually i have never been a fan of gasol... he's never impressed me as a player who can take a team on his shoulders... nice player but he's soft, and is not that great a post player
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #22
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
see, the problem is that you hold no value in bynum....i think if he started every game next year.....he'd give you close to a double double every night....

Can you 100% guarantee that Bynum could you give 10/10 a night? Or even 10/8, 8/10, anything along those lines? No you can't, but pending injuries, you can guarantee Gasol will get you at least 18/10/3, while shooting over 50% and getting near 2 blocks per. He got 21/10/3 with 2 blocks coming off an injury and a slow start due to his injury, so just imagine him being healthy with a premier wing player to take pressure off of him? Then, throw in possibly acquiring Jamaal Magloire for the MLE to play beside him, and you have a HUGE upgrade over Bynum and Odom, as Magloire is better then Bynum, and Gasol is WAY better then Odom will possibly ever be.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #23
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
actually i have never been a fan of gasol... he's never impressed me as a player who can take a team on his shoulders... nice player but he's soft, and is not that great a post player

Gasol led the Grizzlies to consecutive playoff apperances and 50 wins[I'm not sure if they got over 50 the first year?]. Gasol is far from being soft and is a damn good post player, he isn't like Dirk, he bangs in the post 7/10 possessions, and if you can get him for Odom/Bynum and chumps change, then he doesn't have to take the team on his shoulders because he'll have Bryant around the wing, which will take away double teams in the post, or on Kobe, giving both of them, help.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #24
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdoc
Honestly, I agree with the popular vote:

We don't land J.O., Kobe gets traded to New York or Chicago. I'm banking that Isiah will do a "Hershel Walker" trade to get Kobe in Gothom (next 7 #1 draft picks, Crawford, Starbury, Lee, etc, etc). Phil won't sign his extension, Kwame gets traded by February for some chump change and we end up with B.Shaw or Rambis as the H.C.

Speculating the MLE - it would go to a PG. The backcourt needs help - Farmar can't do it alone and Sasha can't get it done at the point. 2 of our 3 PG's are gone (Smush and Shammond).

I'm seeing the dark era of Terry Teagle and Sedale Threatt all over again.
i would rather he go to chi town, more pieces there that can be solid players right off the bat... and i'm with you i think kobe is gone... you know that post he made on his website about being traded that post is always still the first one up when you go to the forums....
Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #25
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Gasol led the Grizzlies to consecutive playoff apperances and 50 wins[I'm not sure if they got over 50 the first year?]. Gasol is far from being soft and is a damn good post player, he isn't like Dirk, he bangs in the post 7/10 possessions, and if you can get him for Odom/Bynum and chumps change, then he doesn't have to take the team on his shoulders because he'll have Bryant around the wing, which will take away double teams in the post, or on Kobe, giving both of them, help.
well i still say he's soft, that's been a criticism of his for years now.... i'd rather gamble on keeping bynum than taking gasol....
Old 06-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #26
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
well i still say he's soft, that's been a criticism of his for years now.... i'd rather gamble on keeping bynum than taking gasol....

Reason people claim he's soft is mainly due to him being from Europe, which is pretty sad, and I respect/get that you would like to gamble on Bynum, but isn't Kobe tired of waiting for Bynum? Don't the fans in general want to stop waiting and make moves to win now? Bryant/Gasol will provide a nice combo to win now, and if you do the deal which I posted, you also have a nice PG rotation in Farmar/Stoudamire, get a solid C in Magloire, have an athletic shotblocker/rebounder in Swift to back them up, not to mention keeping #19 to pick up depth, or make another deal.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #27
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Quote:
Can you 100% guarantee that Bynum could you give 10/10 a night? Or even 10/8, 8/10, anything along those lines? No you can't, but pending injuries, you can guarantee Gasol will get you at least 18/10/3, while shooting over 50% and getting near 2 blocks per. He got 21/10/3 with 2 blocks coming off an injury and a slow start due to his injury, so just imagine him being healthy with a premier wing player to take pressure off of him? Then, throw in possibly acquiring Jamaal Magloire for the MLE to play beside him, and you have a HUGE upgrade over Bynum and Odom, as Magloire is better then Bynum, and Gasol is WAY better then Odom will possibly ever be.

since when is gasol a premier center...dont get me wrong...he's solid...but not great.....and dont get excited about magloire either....there's a reason we can get him for the MLE.....

as for your question regarding bynum.....per 48 min. last year byum would have ageraged.....16pts....13reb....3blk......

so yeah....i do think he'll manage a double double next year....
Old 06-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #28
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
since when is gasol a premier center...dont get me wrong...he's solid...but not great.....and dont get excited about magloire either....there's a reason we can get him for the MLE.....

as for your question regarding bynum.....per 48 min. last year byum would have ageraged.....16pts....13reb....3blk......

so yeah....i do think he'll manage a double double next year....

Since he led Memphis to consecutive 50 win seasons and the playoffs. Granted, they lost in the PO's, but he still managed to do that in the tough Western Conference. Along with being a 19/9/3 guy with 2 blocks while shooting over 50% from the field for his career. Gets less turnovers then assists, and he's a PF who has the ball in his hand a lot so that as well. Reason for Mag being had for the MLE is that not many teams are under the cap to give him a bigger contract, and he is easily an upgrade over Bynum next year.

As far as the per 48 min, that stat is pure GARBAGE. Rick Brunson averaged near 14APG per 48 a few years back when Jaric and Livingston went down for my Clippers, he got 6 per game when he played 38 minutes or so per outing. It would be like if you sign a guy to a 10 day contract, he comes in and scores a bucket in 4 minutes, your saying he'll average 48 points per game, or near that?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #29
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Bynum is progressing well for a young kid. I suppose if he was getting starters minutes he could average 10/10 next year...and improve from there. Kareem says he is a real hard worker.

I don't see Memphis trading Gasol unless he absolutely demands a trade.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #30
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Quote:
Since he led Memphis to consecutive 50 win seasons and the playoffs. Granted, they lost in the PO's, but he still managed to do that in the tough Western Conference. Along with being a 19/9/3 guy with 2 blocks while shooting over 50% from the field for his career. Gets less turnovers then assists, and he's a PF who has the ball in his hand a lot so that as well. Reason for Mag being had for the MLE is that not many teams are under the cap to give him a bigger contract, and he is easily an upgrade over Bynum next year.

As far as the per 48 min, that stat is pure GARBAGE. Rick Brunson averaged near 14APG per 48 a few years back when Jaric and Livingston went down for my Clippers, he got 6 per game when he played 38 minutes or so per outing. It would be like if you sign a guy to a 10 day contract, he comes in and scores a bucket in 4 minutes, your saying he'll average 48 points per game, or near that?

mag "is easily an upgrade over bynum next year" ......you lost all credibility with me man.....sorry....im sure you feel the same way about me.......so lets agree to disagree....

....and just for the record i never made a broad statement about eurpoean players in general.....im specifically talking about gasol....so dont put words in my mouth.....i think european players have greatly improved the nba game......
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: