Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #31
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: If JO and Artest trade does not come through, what should be next move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman222
mag "is easily an upgrade over bynum next year" ......you lost all credibility with me man.....sorry....im sure you feel the same way about me.......so lets agree to disagree....

....and just for the record i never made a broad statement about eurpoean players in general.....im specifically talking about gasol....so dont put words in my mouth.....i think european players have greatly improved the nba game......

I can state facts, stats as to why Magloire will be an upgrade easily, as opposed to a project, like Bynum will be, like your saying.

And did I say anything about you saying anything about Euro players in general, or did I say the reason "people" not, "you"?. How does that put words in your mouth? It's the other way around.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #32
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

apeman222 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: If JO and Artest trade does not come through, what should be next move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
I can state facts, stats as to why Magloire will be an upgrade easily, as opposed to a project, like Bynum will be, like your saying.

And did I say anything about you saying anything about Euro players in general, or did I say the reason "people" not, "you"?. How does that put words in your mouth? It's the other way around.

yep i misunderstood....it was in the midst of our debate and i thought it was directed towrds me....my bad....
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #33
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

By the way, what makes Jermaine O'Neal so much better then Pau Gasol?[General question who will give up the same package for O'Neal but not Gasol]

Let's look at their stats:

Jermaine O'Neal: 19.4 PPG | 9.4 RPG | 2.4 APG | .7 SPG | 2.6 BPG | 43.6% FG | 76.7% FT | 2.94 TO's | 3.4 FPG | 35.6 MPG at the age of 29

Pau Gasol: 20.8 PPG | 9.8 RPG | 3.4 APG | .5 SPG | 2.1 BPG | 53.8% FG | 74.8% FT | 2.75 TO's | 2.3 FPG | 36.2 MPG at the age of 27

On top of that, Gasol came off an injury, missed a lot of time, and came back, still getting 21/10 when you round it off. He also gets more APG with less to's, fouls less often, and shot 10% better then O'Neal from the field, so I just don't get what makes JO worthy, but not Pau.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #34
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
By the way, what makes Jermaine O'Neal so much better then Pau Gasol?[General question who will give up the same package for O'Neal but not Gasol]

Jermaine O'Neal: 19.4 PPG | 9.4 RPG | 2.4 APG | .7 SPG | 2.6 BPG | 43.6% FG | 76.7% FT | 2.94 TO's | 3.4 FPG | 35.6 MPG at the age of 29

Pau Gasol: 20.8 PPG | 9.8 RPG | 3.4 APG | .5 SPG | 2.1 BPG | 53.8% FG | 74.8% FT | 2.75 TO's | 2.3 FPG | 36.2 MPG at the age of 27

On top of that, Gasol came off an injury, missed a lot of time, and came back, still getting 21/10 when you round it off. He also gets more APG with less to's, fouls less often, and shot 10% better then O'Neal from the field, so I just don't get what makes JO worthy, but not Pau.

who said JO is better than Gasol?
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #35
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

MyLakers has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Reason people claim he's soft is mainly due to him being from Europe, which is pretty sad, and I respect/get that you would like to gamble on Bynum, but isn't Kobe tired of waiting for Bynum? Don't the fans in general want to stop waiting and make moves to win now? Bryant/Gasol will provide a nice combo to win now, and if you do the deal which I posted, you also have a nice PG rotation in Farmar/Stoudamire, get a solid C in Magloire, have an athletic shotblocker/rebounder in Swift to back them up, not to mention keeping #19 to pick up depth, or make another deal.

I agree that Gasol is a great choice for the Lakers if the JO deal doesn't pan out. In fact, I'd prefer the Lakers deal Lamar, Bynum, Sasha & #19 pick for Gasol and Mike Miller.

The Grizzely's are in rebuild mode and the owners are looking to sell the team, which means they are looking to dump salary. So the Griz get a promising young center in Bynum and solid unselfish veteran to lead their rebuilding team. And they can decide on whether they want to resign Sasha or just dump his salary after next season.

The Lakers get an very good post player in Gasol - who is much tougher than people think, and a great SF for the triangle.

Those of you that dog out Gasol need to get NBA League Pass and watch more Grizley games - Gasol is no joke! He is much better, and tougher, than many on this forum seem to believe.

In Miller's case, he plays tough defense, can drain the 3, and can create his own shot.

Mitch, . . . Git er' done!
MyLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #36
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Quote:

i dont want to trade bynum and odom for oneal either....id rather just trade odom....
Old 06-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #37
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Who said Gasol wants the Lakers????

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #38
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

dblockallstars has an OK reputation so far

Jo's better than Gasol b/c he's shown he can win.... u can say he's had better teams around him or w/e but I just don't think Pau's a winner.... jus like tmac - if u have yao on ur team n u cant beat the jazz there's a problem.... back to JO, he's obviously tougher than Pau n I think he's already friends w/ kobe n that's a lil important
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #39
Batchoy
Decent playground baller

Batchoy has an OK reputation so far

I believe Memphis will listen to a Lakers offer because they got royally screwed in the draft lottery. Instead of getting either the #1 or #2 pick, Memphis dropped all the way down to #4. With Bynum, they get the oppurtunity of developing a center with great potential. Sort of like "Oden lite". And they could build the team around Bynum and Gay. Because I don't see Memphis getting any better with the team they have now.

I'll restate my ititial offer again.

Lakers give:
Odom
Bynum
Brown
Cook

Grizzlies give:
Gasol
Warrick
Swift
Cardinal

Bynum could become a 20ppg/12rpg/2.5bpg player, but that is what Gasol is basically now. And that is what Kobe wants; A player who can immediately make an impact on the team. Warrick could be a hard sell on Memphis because of his upside, but they get good compensation with Odom. At least Memphis can get rid of two bad contracts with Swift and Cardinal. Also, Kwame comes off the books at the end of the season which makes it easier for Memphis to take this deal. Besides Memphis still has the #4 pick which could solidify their bench even more. The Grizzlies has had Gasol for 5 seasons and have only been to the playoffs only once. A trade like this could only help The Grizzlies.

The Lakers do this deal to appease Kobe and his growing concern that they are building around Bynum. He gets a good low post player and still has a young talent in Warrick. Swift also makes the Lakers more athletic (something the Lakers sorely need) and Cardinal may not be the fastest or most athletic, but he reminds me of Luke Walton who could go because of FA. The only major hole The Lakers need to fix is the PG position. Farmar is going to be a good PG...someday. I'd look at the FA market and try to get a veteran PG for the MLE, but I'd be a little wary with the way Mitch has used the MLE the past few years with Divac, Vlad, and McKie. The #19 pick could be a steal because of the depth of the draft, but again were talking about Mitch with gives me cold sweats. But Mitch can't be wrong all the time. Can he?

Last edited by Batchoy : 06-14-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Batchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #40
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^ why would memphis do the trade?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #41
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

Exactly. Like I have already previously posted, don't expect Memphis to give you Warrick unless they get a pick in return, and possibly switch Cook to Radmanovic and toss them the later of the two 2nd round picks you guys own this year, possibly even throw in Stoudamire to LA.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #42
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

bynum/brown
odom
gay
miller
lowry/stoudemire

*add in the 4th pick too....(conly jr., horford, brewer, b.wright ect...)

----this team in my opinion is improved from last years team.....not to mention the great future they'd have with gay and bynum....its not like memphis plans to win a title next year anyway....

**also, warrick isnt that great....

***if im the lakers i wouldn't do that......just because i believe in bynum too much...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #43
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

you know what it is about the memphis trade idea i don't like... it feels like a trade is being made just to make a trade, it actually doesn't make either team better or worse....
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #44
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

MyLakers has an OK reputation so far

I agree w/ gts above. This trade idea doesn't really help either team significantly.

The reasons why teams make trades that include all star, or close to all star level, players is when they are either:
  • trying to fill a NEED by trading a highly valued player that doesn't meet a NEED (i.e. Lakers & LO, Blazers & Zack)
  • Trying to clear cap space
  • Looking to rebuild
  • Have a disgruntled or difficult to manage player.
  • Have a player with an 'Opt out' clause that they are worried about leaving.
  • Looking to win NOW - so they are willing to move young talent

These are the reasons teams would be willing to trade their All star players (e.g. Gasol, JO, Artest, etc.) with the Lakers. We have assets and So we have to be clear on what the other team's needs are and what direction they are trying to go in order to make an appealing trade offer.

The Grizley's have only a few choices: rebuild or invest heavily in more talent. Given the market, they don't likely have enough trade assets to get the kind of talent they need to get to the next level. Therefore, they will likely rebuild, and as such, they will not be willing to trade ANY of their young talent.

That's why the LO/Bynum/#19 pick for Gasol/Miller could be appealing to them. The proposed trade above involving Gasol, Warrick, Swift, & Cardinal flat out SUCKS for the Lakers. The L:akers should be able to get far more for Bynum, Odom, AND Brown!

Last edited by MyLakers : 06-14-2007 at 05:19 PM.
MyLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: