Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #31
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
so if balkman turns out to be a rodman-type player which i. thomas projected him to be should he have still not taken him with 20. I like Williams as much as the next guy but there had to be some reason no body wanted him.

There was a reason people didnt want Paul Pierce, Gilbert Arenas, Micheal Redd, Danny Granger (he's gonna be a all star). Just because Marcus was passed up isnt a good excuse for not taking him. Sorry.

Quote:
Also Balkman is way quicker than the junkyard and will be a lot better defenderin his career. Balkman also seems to have a better touch. And everytime i have watched him i have been impressed going back to his junior year.

Balkman was inconsistent at SC.He just made himself get noticed, get a buzz because of his tournament success. Before that? Pffft, and before last season? Pffft again even more. Balkman may be quicker but what I'm saying is that is all they are providing a team. For the things people are saying they can see Balkman doing in the future? He has a long ways to go to get there, and him not getting there is more likely then him getting there. I dont know why, where or how people are having these thoughts that he will be good enough to defend like Rodman, Pippen and be comparable to a Shawn Marion.

You realize how much improvement this guy has to do? We're talkin some serious improvement here. Guy is raw.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #32
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
for a #20 pick whats wrong with that. He hustles rebounds and finishes, and looks like he could be a shut down defender.
You could have traded a future second rounder to some team drafting in the 40s and had him. Or, you could have taken him at 29 and gotten MARCUS WILLIAMS at 20, who could be an ALL STAR one day. Terrible drafting job. I agree he's going to at least make the roster for awhile, and is a good addition to the team, but you don't pass on a talent like Marcus Williams for that, even if you couldn't have him later, and you could have.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #33
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
You could have traded a future second rounder to some team drafting in the 40s and had him. Or, you could have taken him at 29 and gotten MARCUS WILLIAMS at 20, who could be an ALL STAR one day. Terrible drafting job. I agree he's going to at least make the roster for awhile, and is a good addition to the team, but you don't pass on a talent like Marcus Williams for that, even if you couldn't have him later, and you could have.

You don't know that for sure. Hell, noone knew Marcus Williams would drop so far down, but he did. All I'm saying is that drafting Balkman at 20 isn't such a bad thing, it's not like we wasted a lottery pick on him, we used the 20th overall pick for god's sake.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #34
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Balkman was inconsistent at SC.He just made himself get noticed, get a buzz because of his tournament success. Before that? Pffft, and before last season? Pffft again even more. Balkman may be quicker but what I'm saying is that is all they are providing a team. For the things people are saying they can see Balkman doing in the future? He has a long ways to go to get there, and him not getting there is more likely then him getting there. I dont know why, where or how people are having these thoughts that he will be good enough to defend like Rodman, Pippen and be comparable to a Shawn Marion.

You realize how much improvement this guy has to do? We're talkin some serious improvement here. Guy is raw.

The NIT isn't what got him noticed. Guys still admittedly didn't know who he was. At the pre-draft camps, he was all over the court, and that is where Isiah noticed him.

I see where you get the JYD comparisons obviously... they are hustle players. That is really the only similarity, though... that they are hustle players. Balkman is a much better finisher, can run the court much better, is much more explosive, and is shorter.

He has a long ways to go until he becomes Rodman... but a long way to go until he can contribute? That is not the case. He can come in right now and do his thing - disrupt the opposing team's offense and finish off cuts.
NYKnicks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #35
Younggrease
Banned

Default ...

the thing is gilbert didnt really slip on draft night, neither did Redd(although i always new he was going to be good). Pierce slipped but thats a whole different level of talent. Williams is good but from what i see he lacks work ethic which is evidenced in his body fat, and also lacks a jump shot. I would have picked Williams at 20 but would have traded him but seeing as so many passed on him maybe no one wanted him. Williams has a big character issues and why would you want another immature baby on your team when you can add a workhorse who brings intensity and defense. After watching many UCONN games i was not sold on Williams, Armstrong or Boone as good NBA players.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #36
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

PLEASE stop focusing so much on that they "passed up" Marcus Williams at 20 and that Balkman would have been available in the second round.

1) There are no guarentees that Balkman would be available in the 2nd round... if you hadn't heard, there was other interest around the league, namely the Suns (who traded their pick after the Knicks took Balkman 1 choice before they pick... D'Antoni denied that they wanted Balkman)
2) Marcus Williams would have been a bad fit for the Knicks, and there are no guarentees they could have traded him and got Balkman.

In short, I find it to be completely pointless to focus on drafting Balkman too high. They went with the sure thing. He was there, they wanted him, they took him. period.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #37
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
I am new in this board, but until now you take the crown of biggest moron around here.

ok, does that matter to me that a kid that speaks like"yo manz teh fofe quata is whenz dat crafword goez TA BANG on teh headz yeahz?" thinks of me?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #38
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKnicks914
PLEASE stop focusing so much on that they "passed up" Marcus Williams at 20 and that Balkman would have been available in the second round.

He would have.

Quote:
1) There are no guarentees that Balkman would be available in the 2nd round... if you hadn't heard, there was other interest around the league, namely the Suns (who traded their pick after the Knicks took Balkman 1 choice before they pick... D'Antoni denied that they wanted Balkman)

Suns came out and said they had no interest in Balkman at all. And no interest in drafting a player because they wanted to save money to lock up guys on the team. If you havent heard! There was no other interest around the league.

Quote:
2) Marcus Williams would have been a bad fit for the Knicks, and there are no guarentees they could have traded him and got Balkman.

You can get Balkman at 29. Marcus would have been a bad fit? What was trading for Steve Francis again?

Quote:
In short, I find it to be completely pointless to focus on drafting Balkman too high. They went with the sure thing. He was there, they wanted him, they took him. period.

Hardly pointless when guys taken after him make you want to slap yourself. I'd love to hear you defend taking Mardy Collins now.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #39
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKnicks914
The NIT isn't what got him noticed. Guys still admittedly didn't know who he was. At the pre-draft camps, he was all over the court, and that is where Isiah noticed him.

The SEC conference tourney and NIT. He created a buzz. Thats a FACT. No one said he was the talk of college bball. Talk of the draft. But this wasnt exactly Seattle taking Sene.

Quote:
I see where you get the JYD comparisons obviously... they are hustle players. That is really the only similarity, though... that they are hustle players. Balkman is a much better finisher, can run the court much better, is much more explosive, and is shorter.

And Jerome Williams wears high socks, has phucked up teeth. *shrugs* They do the same things. And for thier team the roles will be the same.

Quote:
He has a long ways to go until he becomes Rodman... but a long way to go until he can contribute? That is not the case. He can come in right now and do his thing - disrupt the opposing team's offense and finish off cuts.

Over who? Who is he playing over lookin at the Knicks roster. Please tell me. I guess you forgot who the hell the NYK have on that roster bruh.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #40
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

Quote:
He would have.

Suns came out and said they had no interest in Balkman at all. And no interest in drafting a player because they wanted to save money to lock up guys on the team. If you havent heard! There was no other interest around the league.

You can get Balkman at 29. Marcus would have been a bad fit? What was trading for Steve Francis again?

Hardly pointless when guys taken after him make you want to slap yourself. I'd love to hear you defend taking Mardy Collins now.

I obviously have heard... since I said exactly that in the post that you just read... but the fact is there is no way for us to know. It is just you speculating. I'll say it again - He was there, they wanted him, they took him.

Your 3rd paragraph doesn't make any sense for your argument...

"Guys taken after him make you want to slap yourself..." Again... what? Shannon Brown has never made me want to slap myself...

In terms of defending Mardy Collins... there is no defense needed. He was a good pick at 29... I don't understand what you could possibly be trying to get at (yet again).

Last edited by NYKnicks914 : 07-09-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #41
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

Quote:
The SEC conference tourney and NIT. He created a buzz. Thats a FACT. No one said he was the talk of college bball. Talk of the draft. But this wasnt exactly Seattle taking Sene.

And Jerome Williams wears high socks, has phucked up teeth. *shrugs* They do the same things. And for thier team the roles will be the same.

Over who? Who is he playing over lookin at the Knicks roster. Please tell me. I guess you forgot who the hell the NYK have on that roster bruh.

keyword when you post = LUCIDITY

"No one said he was the talk of college bball. Talk of the draft. But this wasnt exactly Seattle taking Sene." What is with the Sene comparison... on top of that, whatever you meant by saying he wasn't the talk of college bball... he wasn't on most NBA GM's radars until the pre-draft camps - where he showed his hustle.

lol you just went in a circle with the JYD comparison. I will repeat though... The comparison can be made since they are hustle players, but Balkman has a better handle, can guard perimeter players more effectively, is more explosive, is smaller, etc.

Over who...? Next year, any 4, 3, or 2 on the Knicks when the team is not hustling.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #42
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Knicks fans are delusional. Gotta love em.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #43
Younggrease
Banned

Default ...

who will balk man play over???

Pg= Marbury/ Fracis/ Nate Rob
Sg= Francis/ Crawford or Q-Rich
Sf= J. Rose/ Balkman/ Woods
Pf= Frye/ Lee/ Taylor/M/ Rose
C= Curry/ Taylor/ James

Jalen Rose plays no defense so he could lose his spot someone not neccessarily Balkman though.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #44
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Knicks fans are delusional. Gotta love em.
Nice rebuttal...
Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #45
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
who will balk man play over???

Jalen Rose plays no defense so he could lose his spot someone not neccessarily Balkman though.

It's not baseball though, know what I mean. He most likely won't start a game this year. Like I said, I expect about 15 minutes a game out of Balkman his first year. All that means is sub in for anyone at the 2,3,4.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: