Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #31
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Default Re: Lebron is 2-27 from outside the paint in the Finals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the most important thing Lebron has to learn.... There were points in the game where Lebron should have taken the game over and he flat out didnt do it...

I think this may be intertwined with a lack of confidence in his jumper. Most scorers, when they are ready to take over a game, will find a myriad of ways to score. Unfortunately, the Spurs know how Lebron will try to score and have dedicated themselves to limiting his drives. This severly limits his ability to take over games and perhaps his willingness to do so as well due to a lack of confidence in his jumper. Lebron generally looks to make the right play and to get his team the best shot, and if he doesn't think his shot has much of a chance of going in, he prefers to pass the ball. This is great for team basketball, but for Lebron, it carries over into times when he needs to take over. It think it's a combination of understanding when to take over, the willingness to take over, and of course, the ability to do so.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #32
allball
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Mike Brown shouldnt have to tell Lebron to take responsibility for the team at a point like this...Lebron knows his role on the cavs is the best player and the leader of the team...Coach shouldt have to tell you to "do your thing" in the finals when you are down 0-2 and your chance to have any chance at all is slipping away before your eyes.....In fact Mike Brown was helping Lebron out by going small and putting Lebron at the 4... It was forcing him to play down low where he needs to play....he should be punishing Bruce bowen down there

I do think Mike Brown should have called a timeout during that 4:00 stretch where the Cavs were shooting these jumpers and clanking them all...

the Cavs rebound the ball well and could actually be competing with the Spurs and making this a good series if they would get serious about what the Spurs are giving them...

I agree with you and Geewiz to an extent. Both Bron and Brown could do things better but if you look at Lebron all the way back to high school, he never looked comfortable jacking a lot of shots. how many SFs have done it that way and won ships? Bird maybe? and he had plenty of talent around him. Penetration and decent shooting at the PG position would cure a lot of ills.

and coaches do make a difference as in Doug Collins vs Phil Jackson or Pat Riley vs SVG. but they both got some learning to do.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #33
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

Wasn't Lebron a PG/SG when he was a rookie?
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #34
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
How many rebounds did he get where he could have push the ball and drove to the rack? I counted at five times he pushed the ball and then stopped to wait for somebody else to pass to...

WTF was he thinking? You gotta take advantage of San Antonio in transition...they are a great half court team and easy transition pts can mean the difference between winning and losing...

So many teams do this now. The majority even. I think its a coaching thing, for some reason coaches seem to think that being a defensive team means you cant push the ball and run it. The whole point of being a defensive team is to create easy scoring opportunities.

I honestly want to see LeBron on a team that really looks to push the ball up the court in every situation. I find his hesitation seems to go away when he is running and gunning. It is when he gets into the halfcourt and goes into pre-meditated mode that he becomes ineffective.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #35
BFRESH44
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
This proves that you don't know sh!t. The Pistons threw double/triple teams at Kobe in 2004....while LeBron was not only SINGLE-covered in this past Detroit series, AND by a much smaller PG in Chauncy Billups.

Oh BTW, LeBron had only ONE "breakout" game vs Detroit. Stop acting like he put up 40 points in all 6 games.

Such BS...
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #36
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRESH44
Such BS...

they actuallt did...They guarded Shaq single coverage and forgot about whoever the small forward was...They had Prince play him tight and then played a zone with Wallace shadowing bryant if he beat Prince of the dribble to force him into jumpshots. No one on LA could shoot from the perimeter because Phil played Payton and Walton and it gave Kobe no room to operate.

But with all that said he could have just thrown it to shaq...But the Lakers lost that series due to injuries and infighting
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #37
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Kobe Bryant dominated a younger, more athletic Bruce Bowen just a few years ago in the playoffs. Bowen is giving LeBron the open look from the perimeter. Dude just can't make a jumper to save his life. Kobe would average 38+ against this SAME Bruce Bowen right now.

Kobe couldn't average 33 ppg against Phoenix, but somehow he "would" average 38+ against Bowen and the best team defense in the league. Okay.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #38
BFRESH44
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
they actuallt did...They guarded Shaq single coverage and forgot about whoever the small forward was...They had Prince play him tight and then played a zone with Wallace shadowing bryant if he beat Prince of the dribble to force him into jumpshots. No one on LA could shoot from the perimeter because Phil played Payton and Walton and it gave Kobe no room to operate.

But with all that said he could have just thrown it to shaq...But the Lakers lost that series due to injuries and infighting

That's doesn't define what I'd call a 'tripple team'.

And I know very well what happened in that Final series, watched every game, and Kobe saw no more tougher defense than Lebron did.

The Pistons run the same defense on every star perimeter player..Halfcout traps, zones, and help rotations off penetration..
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #39
IllegalD
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRESH44
That's doesn't define what I'd call a 'tripple team'.

And I know very well what happened in that Final series, watched every game, and Kobe saw no more tougher defense than Lebron did.

The Pistons run the same defense on every star perimeter player..Halfcout traps, zones, and help rotations off penetration..

If you honestly think this year's Piston's team is as good defensively as that 04 team that won the chip (3 years younger, Ben Wallace patrolling the paint, Larry Brown defensive philosophy) then you know jack-squat about basketball
IllegalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #40
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
you cant learn and master the entire game in 4 years. and iam not making excuses. iam explaining my point of view.

Lebron is having bad shooting nights, but lets not forget who is guarding him: a two time DPOY runner up who is also a first team all defender, Bruce Bowen. its not like he is being guarded by some scrub. Bruce does a good job of harrassing lebron and lebron never gets into his comfort zone. by the time lebron gets some rhythm going its too late.
exactly, its a combination of a shooting slump and very solid D. Clearly bron has lost confidence in his stroke and he probably wont get it back in the remaining game(s)
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #41
Poseidon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Kobe couldn't average 33 ppg against Phoenix, but somehow he "would" average 38+ against Bowen and the best team defense in the league. Okay.

Last time Kobe and Bowen went head-to-head in the playoffs (2003)....Kobe averaged 32.4 PPG for the 6 games.

Fast forward 5 years.....Bowen is older and slower while Kobe has gotten better.

Care to argue the FACTS?
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #42
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Last time Kobe and Bowen went head-to-head in the playoffs (2003)....Kobe averaged 32.4 PPG for the 6 games.

Fast forward 5 years.....Bowen is older and slower while Kobe has gotten better.

Care to argue the FACTS?

Hi. I'm Shaquille O'Neal.

I played for the Lakers in 2003. During my time there, every team that faced the Lakers worried about me the most. Because of that, Kobe never faced full time double teams the way Iverson or Lebron did in the playoffs.

Sincerely,

Shaq.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #43
HANNIBAL SMITH
Decent playground baller

So Bruce Bowen was guarding Shaq when he played as a Laker right? Hmm i get it. Say what you want about Kobe, but you'll never saw a defender daring him to take Jumpers and him missing. Even when he was 22, his mid range jumper was on point.

Last edited by HANNIBAL SMITH : 06-13-2007 at 01:42 PM.
HANNIBAL SMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #44
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman

I played for the Lakers in 2003. During my time there, every team that faced the Lakers worried about me the most. Because of that, Kobe never faced full time double teams the way Iverson or Lebron did in the playoffs.

Sincerely,

Shaq.

: at the Shaq picture.
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #45
chopchop20
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman

Sincerely,

Shaq.

Are you watching the Finals? The Spurs aren't aggressively double teaming LeBron. They're basically taking away dunks and layup, but everything else is open. But apparently LeBron would rather pass to guys who are missing open shots.
chopchop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: