Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #16
gb8
Extra Cheese

Default Re: Best rapper alive today gimme ur pick

Lil wayne is the best featuring rapper out right now, every remix he is on is next level. Immortal technique is the best rapper alive right now.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #17
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Aceyalone, Murs, Ras Kass
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #18
baller42590
Chi Bulls 2010-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
Lil wayne is the best featuring rapper out right now, every remix he is on is next level. Immortal technique is the best rapper alive right now.

his mixtapes are fire 2 thats a reason why i would consider him.
baller42590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
Wizardly Cool

I'd like to see real hip-hop threads being created. The whole "Best Rapper Alive" thing is just juvenile and silly.

Be creative in your questions. Here are some examples that would make for good conversation from those who are deeply into hip-hop.

Why do most rappers / emcees avoid freestyling? You could take it a step further and ask of the more successful hip-hop artists, which ones do you feel are the better freestylers?

Which rookies in the rap game today do you feel will be superstars in the future? You could add which once great rappers have recently fallen off in your opinion?

If you're going to ask simple questions such as "who's your favorite rapper" for example, why not be more creative and detailed with it. Why not ask something along the lines of who's your favorite rapper, and what's the best thing they've done in their career and also the worst thing they've done in their career? This adds more value to your question.

When talking about albums, don't just say "what's the best hip-hop album of all time" ... why not ask which hip-hop albums are looked upon as the best by the majority of hip-hop fans, however you feel are not worthy of being there?

I hope this helps spice up the hip-hop conversation around here. No offense guys, but the topics are just too simple for my taste. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Last edited by Wizardly Cool : 06-14-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #20
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

i agree... only thing is, I think i will want to kill myself after reading responses to those questions... i've only just learned to stomach "lil wayne is the best rapper alive"
Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #21
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Why do most rappers / emcees avoid freestyling?

freestyling used to be where a rapper had to start...Alot of rappers dont freestyle because they its real hard to make up a story off the top of the dome and still make it rhyme properly... the best ones use groups of words and phrases that rhyme and they just interchange them and change the other words up a bit.. it still off the head, but it always sounds a bit different

writing your raps gives you the ability to be more clever and tell more detailed stories and give better metaphors

I got a question.... Which rapper has the most unique style?

I'll start by saying it is tony starks...when he raps about females, Im saying, that is the most unique thing ive heard in a while...nobody can talk about birds like starks
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #22
Wizardly Cool

I think an artist such as Kool Keith is the definition of unique, but Tony Starks' delivery is what makes him stand out, and not so much being unique and different (as far as style goes).

Rasheed, with you being in the Philly area, what do you think of Jedi Mind Tricks? You seem "politically correct" and all that, so that's probably not your taste (no offense).
Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #23
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Freestyling didn't used to be just "off the top" rapping, that is just one type of freestyle. KRS, Chuck D, etc back in the day would drop a lil verse no one had heard and that was a "freestyle". Now most people think of freestyles as that top-of -the-dome stuff. A lot of rappers don't do that cuz - well frankly it's not useful unless you are into battling, and even then everyone knows the best battlers have a repertoir of punchlines waiting in the wings. The Saafir vs Hiero battle was a perfect example - Saafir came mostly written and ate them cats up. I don't think there's a big deal as long as cats don't front like they are doing improv when they going from memory.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #24
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

I don't think anyone new is really very 'unique'. Kool Keith does his thing, but he old school, while everyone coming out these days owes something to the old school cats like Schooly D, Slick Rick, Rakim, etc
Old 06-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #25
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

"freestyle" means to make it up as you go along.... you make up a rap off the top of your head as you spit it...... thats what a freestyle..

If you wrote a rhyme and decide to spit one verse, that doesnt make it a freestyle....

And I admit Im not up on jedi mind tricks like I should be, but what I hear about them is good...Imma check them out and get back to you when I do..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #26
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
And I admit Im not up on jedi mind tricks like I should be, but what I hear about them is good...Imma check them out and get back to you when I do..

Rasheed...

Check out these Jedi Mind Trick tracks...

Retaliation
Heavenly Divine
Uncommon Valor
Razorblade Salvation
Saviorself
On The Eve Of War

You can thank me later.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #27
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly Cool
Rasheed...

Check out these Jedi Mind Trick tracks...

Retaliation
Heavenly Divine
Uncommon Valor
Razorblade Salvation
Saviorself
On The Eve Of War

You can thank me later.

My favorite out of those would have to be Razorblade Salvation.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #28
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

No, I'm talking before 1990 here, when freestyle did not only mean make it up as you go. Originally, that is not what freestyle meant. I realize that's what people usually mean by "freestyle" now, I was only elaborating on why people don't do that as much.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #29
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Big L = GOAT at freestyling
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #30
SwishaHouse
Banned

these aren't the best ones, but they bring it every time