Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
hippos
Banned

hippos has decent reputation
Default One Writer Apologizes to OJ Mayo.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs.../06/13/Dear_OJ

Quote:
I’m shocked.

I guess I need to man-up or whatever you want to call it when you make a mistake and want to come clean.

I can’t believe O.J. Mayo is really on the USC campus (he arrived yesterday) and is set to start summer classes in a couple of weeks.

Maybe I had the 6-foot-4 guard pegged all wrong because I figured he’d be in Europe or working out with Sonny Vaccaro somewhere right about now. Or even in the midst of a legal battle with David Stern to try to get in this year’s NBA Draft.

There’s no questioning Mayo’s talent (although I’d still take five players – Kyle Singler, Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, Kevin Love and Michael Beasley - over him in this year’s incoming freshman class). What was in question were Mayo’s motives.

There were plenty of red flags. While nearly every other high school player was extremely accessible, Mayo was far from it. The stories were that he had virtually no adult supervision while he attended high school in Cincinnati. His AAU coach, Dwaine Barnes, was a piece of work. He landed out in Los Angeles with the help of a west coast tournament organizer, Rodney Guillory. Then there were separate incidents last year while at Huntington High in West Virginia – one with a referee and another when he was caught in a car with marijuana.

I am a Tim Floyd fan. The guy is one of the best coaches/recruiters in the country. He’s going to have the USC program near the top of the Pac-10 for years to come.

But I’m still not sold that he made the right call to take Ovington J’Anthony Mayo.

Sure, the Trojans lost Nick Young and Gabe Pruitt early to the NBA. They could use the juice (no pun intended) that comes with bringing a big name like O.J. to the program.

But USC will be just fine with or without O.J. Floyd has enough talent with holdovers like Taj Gibson, Daniel Hackett and Dwight Lewis – and a freshman class that includes Davon Jefferson and Marcus Simmons.

That team will be competitive in the best conference in America next season – with or without Mayo.

Dear O.J.,

I apologize. I never thought you’d make it to the Galen Center. Now I feel much better.

Jeff Goodman

He didn't say anything special, but more evidence that this kid doesn't have half the ego and arrogance some of you believe.
hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: One Writer Apologizes to OJ Mayo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippos
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs.../06/13/Dear_OJ

He didn't say anything special, but more evidence that this kid doesn't have half the ego and arrogance some of you believe.

What evidence?????
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
hippos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
What evidence?????

The evidence found in the article.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Collie
Good college starter

Collie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this board

He came to campus and ... ???
Collie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The evidence found in the article.

Again copy and paste it for me. I'm retarded and wear diapers.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
hippos
Banned

Quote:
Again copy and paste it for me. I'm retarded and wear diapers.

Quote:
I can’t believe O.J. Mayo is really on the USC campus (he arrived yesterday) and is set to start summer classes in a couple of weeks.

Maybe I had the 6-foot-4 guard pegged all wrong because I figured he’d be in Europe or working out with Sonny Vaccaro somewhere right about now. Or even in the midst of a legal battle with David Stern to try to get in this year’s NBA Draft.

Quote:
Dear O.J.,

I apologize. I never thought you’d make it to the Galen Center. Now I feel much better.

There you go.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
There you go.

He showed up to school early, didnt go to Europe or challenge the NBA rule (he wouldnt have won see Maurice Clarrett, Mike Williams). Therefore thats evidence he isnt as arrogant and egotistical as people assume.

I would expect hawker to come up with nonsense like that. Not you.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
hippos
Banned

Quote:
He showed up to school early, didnt go to Europe or challenge the NBA rule (he wouldnt have won see Maurice Clarrett, Mike Williams). Therefore thats evidence he isnt as arrogant and egotistical as people assume.

I would expect hawker to come up with nonsense like that. Not you.

I said this is more evidence, not the only evidence. Remember when I posted that other article about him?...I can't remember what it was about, but I basically came to the same conclusion as I have today. I'll use the ISH search engine to find it.

And yes, in my opinion taking the time to go to summer school does show some sort of discipline and good behaviour. Especially for someone who supposedly has no role models to look up to.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
What evidence?????
You're right there is no evidence in that article to say OJ isn't a jackass.

With that said, looking at his body language and interactions with his teammates in these Class of '07 All Star games I do feel he isn't as bad as he's made himself appear. I honestly now feel the ego and arrogance he puts out there is a calculated act on his part.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
You're right there is no evidence in that article to say OJ isn't a jackass.

With that said, looking at his body language and interactions with his teammates in these Class of '07 All Star games I do feel he isn't as bad as he's made himself appear. I honestly now feel the ego and arrogance he puts out there is a calculated act on his part.

Thats what i think.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
hippos
Banned

I'm glad you finally agreed with me.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
I'm glad you finally agreed with me.

I just didnt agree with your attempt at "more evidence".
Old 06-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
hippos
Banned

Explain why going to summer classes when the world knows you're going to be a millionaire in a year or two isn't evidence.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Explain why going to summer classes when the world knows you're going to be a millionaire in a year or two isn't evidence.

They are pass/fail classes. Needs to pass them before he gets in classes that he is rewardedcredits for.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
hippos
Banned

Because of bad grades in highschool?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: