Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default ESP - Gasol wants reinforcements at Memphis

Quote:
BARCELONA (NBA) Ė Pau Gasol has warned the Memphis Grizzlies he will seek a move to a new team unless the front office adds quality players to the squad.

Gasol, who is back in his home country of Spain resting ahead of this summerís EuroBasket, said on his website, www.paugasol.com: "If they are desperate to keep me, then they have to make the necessary effort to get players around me that can compete at the maximum level.

"I want to be in a winning team that has ambition and fights for everything with stronger players.

ďI want to have options to have the opportunity that I didn't have last season."

In 2006, Gasol was an NBA All-Star and reached the play-offs with the Grizzlies.

He then earned MVP honors at the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan as Spain captured the gold medal.

However the seven-footer suffered a foot injury in Spainís semi-final win over Argentina that required an operation, and forced him to miss the first 22 games of the season.

Nevertheless, he was quickly into his stride once on the court again and finished the season averaging 20.8 points and 9.8 rebounds.

Memphis never recovered from Gasolís absence early on when they won just five games and lost 17.

Gasol was mentioned in trade rumours with the Chicago Bulls and Boston Celtics but he finished the year with the Tennessee team, when ended the year last in the Southwest Division with a 22-60 record.

The Grizzlies recently appointed Marc Iavaroni as their new coach, and Gasol revealed he has already met with his new boss.

"I had two meetings with him in Barcelona and he told me that he is counting on me for his project," Gasol said.

Could it be that we could get Gasol instead?
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Default Re: ESP - Gasol wants reinforcements at Memphis

As long as we give up fewer players compared to the JO deal
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24
As long as we give up fewer players compared to the JO deal

No worries there; he makes less than Lamar! IF Memphis trades Gasol, they will be essentially force into rebuilding. As such, we could likely get him for Bynum, Kwame and Filler.

Last edited by MyLakers : 06-14-2007 at 06:35 PM.
MyLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLakers
No worries there; he makes less than Lamar! IF Memphis trades Gasol, they will be essentially force into rebuilding. As such, we could likely get him for Bynum, Kwame and Filler.

no, it would take more than that.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdoc

Absolutely! Given their lack of trade assets (other than Gasol himself), and the state of Memphis's front office (no coach, loosing their GM), they will have little chance of making the kinds of moves that can get Memphis into contention. Therefore they are left with dealing the only real asset they have (Gasol) to try and get young talent that they can rebuild around (i.e. Bynum).

The upside of a trade of Gasol/Miller for Bynum/Lamar/#19 pick + filler is that it allows them to sell the idea to their fans that they are getting the better end of the deal. In fact, I see this trade as a win/win for both teams. Both teams are closer to their perspective goals.

The Lakers get the strong post presence to compliment Kobe on the perimeter, a reliable scorer/defender in Miller, can still trade Kwame's contract, and can complete for a title for the next few years.

The Grizzleys get a proven all star veteran in Lamar that would be GREAT facilitating the development of their young players, a potential "center of the future" in Bynum to compete with Howard, Amare, & Olden, and another pick in a loaded draft.

These are the types of trades that could work. When there is incentive for both teams to do it - when both teams are trading value they have for value they need. Not the kind of trades I read too often on these forums. Know you the kind: "lets trade Sasha, Brown, SMush, McKie, Mihm, Cook, and every other crappy player we don't want for Kevin Garnett!"

Last edited by MyLakers : 06-14-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
no, it would take more than that.

My bad, I forgot to include the #19 pick.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLakers
My bad, I forgot to include the #19 pick.

both the Celtics and Bulls would offer more than you are offering.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
both the Celtics and Bulls would offer more than you are offering.

Good call. I see.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
qrich
King Heno

I don't think you'd be getting Miller with Gasol, and not give anything for Memphis to want to trade MM with. Like I've posted, I can see a Gasol|Cardinal|Stoud|Swift for Odom|Bynum|Brown|Radmanovic|#19 type of trade going down, if anything with the Grizzlies for Pau. Maybe Cook as opposed to Radman, but either way. Lakers get themselves a nice, veteran PG, and Gasol like they want. Swift is an athletic shot blocker who'll fit in solid, and Cardinal is just a contract filler, but can shoot. Grizzlies get a versatile PointForward, a Project, expiring contract and a pick, along with dumping Cardinal's contract. Lakers can use one of the 2nd rounders to draft Nick Fazekas, and the other on Reyshawn Terry.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
MyLakers
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
I don't think you'd be getting Miller with Gasol, and not give anything for Memphis to want to trade MM with. Like I've posted, I can see a Gasol|Cardinal|Stoud|Swift for Odom|Bynum|Brown|Radmanovic|#19 type of trade going down, if anything with the Grizzlies for Pau. Maybe Cook as opposed to Radman, but either way. Lakers get themselves a nice, veteran PG, and Gasol like they want. Swift is an athletic shot blocker who'll fit in solid, and Cardinal is just a contract filler, but can shoot. Grizzlies get a versatile PointForward, a Project, expiring contract and a pick, along with dumping Cardinal's contract. Lakers can use one of the 2nd rounders to draft Nick Fazekas, and the other on Reyshawn Terry.

The problem I have with this trade is that it doesn't seem to even begin to maximize our trade assets. You have us giving up everything for basically Gasol and filler. The other players are "okay," but they don't bring enough to the table. Without including Miller or Gay in the trade, I woudn't trade LO, Bynum AND Kwame for ANYTHING Memphis could offer. I like Stoudamire, but Mighty Mouse is a little too much of a veteran and his contract is through 2009. Brian Cardinal for 6 yrs at 37M? That's just a bad contract. 20M until 2010 to ride the bench? No thanks.

If you are willing to use every trade asset we have to get Gasol, we might as well get Jermaine Oneal. I was primarily interested in Gasol instead of JO in the hope of having to use less to get more.

Last edited by MyLakers : 06-14-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

Great post! Wow, is he taking lessons from Kobe?

Personally, I like Gasol over JO on the Lakers... that is, IF Kobe is still with the Lakers... but I realize that I am in a minority opinion.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike

Personally, I like Gasol over JO on the Lakers... that is, IF Kobe is still with the Lakers... but I realize that I am in a minority opinion.

i'm with you.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

I honestly do not see Gasol being traded, but it was an interesting article.

Everything I see is that the Lakers aren't wavering on their stance. Indiana wants Odom and Bynum, Lakers aren't going to part with both in that trade. We'll see who blinks first. IF they make it through the draft without trading the #19, you may see them wait until July 1st to make the deal. Why? Because Luke can be S&T with Bynum and whoever they'd draft for Indiana.

Definitely interesting times for LakerNation.
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #14
Erathia
Local High School Star

Quote:
I honestly do not see Gasol being traded, but it was an interesting article.

Everything I see is that the Lakers aren't wavering on their stance. Indiana wants Odom and Bynum, Lakers aren't going to part with both in that trade. We'll see who blinks first. IF they make it through the draft without trading the #19, you may see them wait until July 1st to make the deal. Why? Because Luke can be S&T with Bynum and whoever they'd draft for Indiana.

Definitely interesting times for LakerNation.

I agree that Odom and Bynum aren't going to be included in the same trade. Two of our best trade assets for O'Neil is not a good trade. But I don't think the Lakers are going to trade Walton unless he asks for a excessively large contract. He is exactly what the Lakers need. A smart player that knows the triangle and accurate shooter (led the team in 3-pt % until he was hurt).
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike

well kobe is in barcelona right now watching his favorite soccer team...
lol maybe he gave pau a couple pointers...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: