Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
SomeBlackDude
National High School Star

Exclamation Crime & Punishment: The Trial of Paul Manafort (Part I)

first of at least 2 trials.

tuesday. july 31. 7:30 am.

us district court. alexandria, virginia.

Quote:
What are the charges?

The 32-count indictment charged Mr. Manafort with disguising more than $30 million in overseas income by moving it through offshore accounts, lying to banks and evading taxes.

Prosecutors claim that beginning in 2006, Mr. Manafort hid millions of dollars in income that he received from the Ukrainian government and Ukrainian oligarchs to promote a pro-Russian leader, Viktor Yanukovych. When Mr. Yanukovych fled to Russia after a popular uprising in 2014, prosecutors say, the spigot of funds from Ukraine dried up. They charge that Mr. Manafort then resorted to bank fraud to maintain his lifestyle.

According to the indictment, he was helped by his right hand man, Rick Gates, who has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit fraud and lying to the F.B.I. Mr. Gates, who also worked for the Trump campaign, is expected to testify against Mr. Manafort.

The most serious charges against Mr. Manafort could carry sentences of up to 30 years each. He also faces charges of money laundering, violating a federal lobbying disclosure law and obstruction of justice.

what's your prediction? guilty on all charges? guilty on some? not guilty? mistrial? plea/snitch bargain?
SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
Terahite
Free Nick Young

Default Re: Crime & Punishment: The Trial of Paul Manafort (Part I)

This trial is like breadcrumbs for the libtards

Terahite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
SomeBlackDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terahite
This trial is like breadcrumbs for the libtards

oh i member!

but then judge ellis the gawd took an arrow to the knee.

Quote:
Mr. Manafort’s supporters claim that it does not, and his legal team at one point sought to have the case thrown out on the basis that Mr. Mueller had exceeded his authority. The judge in the Virginia case, T.S. Ellis III, suggested in court that the prosecutors were simply pursuing the case as a way of pressuring Mr. Manafort to provide evidence that could implicate Mr. Trump.

Judge Ellis put it this way to prosecutors in a preliminary hearing: “You don’t really care about Mr. Manafort’s bank fraud. You really care about what information Mr. Manafort can give you that would reflect on Mr. Trump or lead to his prosecution or impeachment or whatever.”

But the judge ultimately decided that Mr. Mueller’s team had “followed the money paid by pro-Russian officials” to Mr. Manafort — a line of inquiry that fell squarely in his authority.

tragic.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
SomeBlackDude

muells released a list of 500 pieces of evidence and 35 witnesses.

in that 35- rick gates, noted maga snitch and paulie's right hand man. tad devine, bernie sanders' campaign chief strategist who for some reason worked hand-in-hand with paulie in the ukraine. 5 witnesses who were given immunity to take the stand.

in that list of evidence- a $18,000 karaoke machine. perfect for a man thinking about starting a singing career.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Terahite
Free Nick Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
muells released a list of 500 pieces of evidence and 35 witnesses.

And I wonder how much of it will show Trump colluded with Russia to steal the election...probably zero.

The looney left thinks this show trial will lead to Trump's impeachment somehow. Let them have their 15 minutes.

Terahite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
SomeBlackDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terahite
The looney left thinks this show trial will lead to Trump's impeachment somehow.

based ellis is part of the looney left now?

Quote:
"You don't really care about Mr. Manafort's bank fraud," Ellis said to prosecutor Michael Dreeben, at times losing his temper. Ellis said prosecutors were interested in Manafort because of his potential to provide material that would lead to Trump's "prosecution or impeachment," Ellis said.

"That's what you're really interested in," said Ellis, who was appointed by President Ronald Reagan.

ellis when he had to rule in favor of muells-

Old 07-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
SomeBlackDude

t-minus 12 hours.

Quote:
Manafort earned more than $60M in Ukraine

“Paul Manafort, President Donald Trump’s onetime campaign chairman, earned more than $60 million as a political consultant in Ukraine, U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller said on the eve of his criminal trial, providing the first tally of Manafort’s income there."

“Some exhibits also show how some Ukrainian oligarchs paid Manafort through foreign accounts, particularly in Cyprus. The indictment of Manafort said he made ‘tens of millions’ of dollars in Ukraine from 2006 to 2015, moved money from Cyprus to pay U.S. vendors to fund a lavish lifestyle and avoided paying taxes on income by disguising it as loans from offshore shell companies. It said that $75 million flowed through the accounts and that he laundered $30 million.”

Quote:
Manafort drops appeal of civil case against Mueller

Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort on Monday gave up his effort to challenge special counsel Robert Mueller in civil court.

Manafort has withdrawn his appeal of a judge's decision to throw out his civil lawsuit against Mueller, according to court filings.

"It is hereby stipulated and agreed by and between the parties that the (case) be voluntarily dismissed," the new filing said.

Manafort filed the initial lawsuit in January against Mueller, the Justice Department and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who appointed Mueller as special counsel. A federal judge dismissed the case in April, saying that the civil proceedings were "not the appropriate vehicle" for Manafort to try to chip away at Mueller's authority.

The unsuccessful civil lawsuit sought, among other things, to prevent Mueller from bringing additional charges in the future, including potential charges relating to Manafort's work on the Trump campaign. Mueller is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election, including potential coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia. President Donald Trump and Manafort have both said there was no collusion

money on plea deal/snitching is looking better tonight.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
SomeBlackDude

i felt a bigly disturbance in the maga.

as if millions of voices cried out in terror "no collusion"

then were suddenly silenced...

Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
SomeBlackDude

d.c. appeals court shot down big paulie's request for release before his trial there in the fall. no bond either.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/31/paul-m...-during-trial/

means this fool will never see daylight until the day dies.

tragic.

EDIT- will this be the first documented case of someone dying in prison after a life sentence because of a nothing burger? that's some really special sauce there. sweet pickles, onions, lettuce, thin sliced tomatoes, sesame seed bun. cheese is optional. after all it's a nothing burger in general, not a nothing cheesburger specifically. but if you must put the cheese on, i suggest an aged gruyere. 305 years to be exact.

Last edited by SomeBlackDude : 07-31-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
SomeBlackDude

that was fast. we have a jury. 6 womenz. 6 menz. 4 alternates. many thought the selection process would bleed into tomorrow.

but it's game time.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
Lakers Legend#32
College star

Lock Him Up!
Lock Him Up!
Lock Him Up!
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
SomeBlackDude

it was all rick gates. he was the head of the conspiracy.

Quote:
Jeff Zeleny
@jeffzeleny

Manafort team revealing its strategy for first time: Manafort's "trust in Rick Gates was misplaced," Zehnle said, adding that Gates changed his story over time. And Gates found himself in legal trying "because he embezzled millions" from Manafort, our @kpolantz reports.

Quote:
The Case for the Defense (4:23 p.m.)

Defense attorney Thomas Zehnle used his opening statement to place blame squarely on Rick Gates, Manafort’s former right-hand man who pleaded guilty and is cooperating with prosecutors.

Manafort is a talented political consultant who advised U.S. presidential candidates, congressmen and senators for almost 40 years, while also working with foreign leaders and heads of parliament in other countries, Zehnle said. He trusted people who worked for him to fill out his tax returns and bank loan applications correctly, particularly Gates, he said.

“This case is about trust, and he placed his trust in the wrong person -- Rick Gates,’’ Zehnle said. “We’re purely here because of one man -- Rick Gates. The foundation of the special counsel’s case rests squarely on the shoulders of this star witness,’’ who pleaded guilty and is cooperating with Mueller.

-bloomberg

wow...

maybe paulie is going for the ineffective/incompetent counsel defense for his future appeal?

Last edited by SomeBlackDude : 07-31-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #13
SomeBlackDude

first day over.

bernie's chief strategist took the stand. he worked hand-in-hand with paulie and ricky gates for putin's puppet in the ukraine.

Quote:
Tad Devine, who was Bernie Sanders’s chief strategist in the 2016 election, explained to jurors how he came to work with Paul Manafort in Ukraine. He said his then-partner, Mike Donilon, was contacted by Manafort’s then-partner, Richard Gates, in 2005 about working for the Party of Regions, a pro-Russia political party in Ukraine.

Tad Devine described the campaign operation he became a part for the 2009-2010 election. He said he was impressed with Paul Manafort’s operation and that Manafort maintained a good relationship with his patron, pro-Russia political candidate Viktor Yanukovych.

“It was a very close relationship,” Devine said.

While working on the campaign, Devine met Richard Gates and other players around Manafort, including Konstantin Kilimnik, who worked as a translator. The special counsel said in court documents Kilimnik has ties to Russian intelligence.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:55 AM   #14
Lakers Legend#32
College star

It appears Manafort would rather go to jail where he will be safe from Russian retaliation on his ass.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:00 AM   #15
Trollsmasher
The Fam

show trial

#FreePaulManafort
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: