Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far
Default Lakers don't want to trade Odom and Bynum for JO

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...rts-nba-lakers

Quote:
L.A. doesn't want to give up Odom and Bynum in a deal for Jermaine O'Neal
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
6:30 PM PDT, June 14, 2007

Where's Jermaine O'Neal? Still a member of the Indiana Pacers.

The Lakers and Pacers have stalled on trade talks involving the six-time All-Star forward-center because the Lakers do not want to give up both Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom in a swap for O'Neal and power forward Troy Murphy, a source said. The Lakers would also include Kwame Brown in the trade.

O'Neal, 28, is consistently among the league leaders in points, rebounds and blocked shots. He averaged 19.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocked shots last season, the continuation of a career that has been on a solid track since he was traded from Portland to the Pacers in 2000.

Murphy, 27, has outside range and rebounds well, but is a subpar defender who would be included in a deal primarily as salary-cap ballast. The four years and $42.3 million he has left on his contract, coupled with the three years and $64.1 million left on O'Neal's contract, would practically guarantee that the Lakers would pay the luxury tax for years to come.

Numerous sources have said O'Neal wants to play in L.A., but the Lakers simply do not want to part with Odom and Bynum to make it work. Lakers officials declined to comment Thursday.

Odom, 27, averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season, one that started strongly for him before being interrupted by knee and shoulder injuries. He underwent surgery last month to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, but is expected to return in time for training camp in October.

Of equal, if not greater, concern to the Lakers is the Pacers' desire for the 19-year-old Bynum.

He averaged 10.7 points, nine rebounds and 2.3 blocked shots in 15 games in January before slumping badly. Coach Phil Jackson criticized his work ethic, but the Lakers aren't necessarily ready to give up on the potential of the 10th pick in the 2005 draft.

Brown, 25, also underwent surgery last month, and will be out several months while recovering from a reconstructive operation on his left ankle. He has one year left on his contract at $9.1 million, which makes him appealing to teams hoping to trim payroll after next season.

Talks between the Pacers and Lakers could be jump-started again as the June 28 draft draws closer.

Kobe's in Spain right now, he better not hear this.
Anyway, can't blame the Lakers. JO's value is at the all time low and giving up Bynum and Odom might be too much.
But then again, the greater risk is involved here and that's Kobe leaving because if he hears that the Lakers passed on another all star he"ll be furious.

If this is true, it might be the end of Kobe in LA.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board
Default Re: Lakers don't want to trade Odom and Bynum for JO

They haven't stopped pursuing O'Neil. Talks have just stalled for now. I don't think there is a lot to worry about right away, as the offseason just started (Spurs sweep Cavs ). I still have hope that the Lakers will be able to hammer out a deal with Indiana.
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kobe would understand that they can't lose ALL their trading assets for just O'Neal.

We can also try to give them Odom and Bynum if they give us Diogu or Granger along with Oneal.

This is just beginning to heat up.

Let's sit back and watch.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

LakerWarrior12 has an OK reputation so far

Well their goes our trade bait, good job Mitch and Buss.

All ways thinking about themselves, while they could be thinking about a championship.

Well, Kobe Bryant 1996-2007 you will be missed and never booed.
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

apeman222 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay

If this is true, it might be the end of Kobe in LA.

yay.....mabye we'll land a deal that gets us some thing like...

kobe
brown

for

wallace
deng
gordon

...i doubt we get that good of a trade, but something along those lines....

....could it be that the reign of kobe has ended....

*although i still think we can pull off a deal for o'neal and still keep bynum.....indiana really has no other choice...they cant get much from NY....
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

LakerWarrior12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman222
yay.....mabye we'll land a deal that gets us some thing like...

kobe
brown

for

wallace
deng
gordon

...i doubt we get that good of a trade, but something along those lines....

....could it be that the reign of kobe has ended....

*although i still think we can pull off a deal for o'neal and still keep bynum.....indiana really has no other choice...they cant get much from NY....

I usually yell at people or saying it is the end of the Kobe era, but good thing my temper is at average. No laker fan wants to see kobe leave(except for lakerfanwhohateskobe on youtube).

The Lakers are rebuilding.
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #7
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

apeman222 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerWarrior12
I usually yell at people or saying it is the end of the Kobe era, but good thing my temper is at average. No laker fan wants to see kobe leave(except for lakerfanwhohateskobe on youtube).

im a LAKER fan above anything else.....if they keep kobe and get o'neal, great.....but right now its evident that kobe no longer wants to be here....so why not get value for him....

and just for the record....a lineup of....

wallace/bynum
odom/turiaf
deng/walton
gordon/evans
farmar/MLE

...is not exactly a lottery pick team...thats a damn good line-up

--plus a possible #9 pick...
--plus we keep the #19 pick...

--thats a better team than last year for sure...
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:29 AM   #8
sammdogg
Local High School Star

sammdogg has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerWarrior12

I dont want to see Kobe leave, but if it helps the team im all for it. i hate to watch my team lose.
sammdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 AM   #9
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board

Honestly, everyone is so worried about Kobe leaving, but I tend to think that Luke Walton is right. Kobe is frustrated with another early playoff exit and the Lakers HQ isn't making the team any better. The last few years they have actually succeeded in making it worse. Trading Shaq away. Then Trading Caron Butler for KWAME BROWN. The only bright spot has been the drafting class they have brought in.

Back to the original topic though. Odom and Bynum included in 1 trade will probably not happen. Its too much trade bait. But I would prefer to see Bynum go before Odom. Bynum is all POTENTIAL. Odom has a vast majority of talent. He just needs to find his place in the system. If they bring in a low-post presence then Odom-Bryant-Whoever, will be a great trinity.
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

netdoc has an OK reputation so far

I think trading Kobe is not an option unless they return Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, etc.

Lakers (hopefully) stick to their guns. Make some tweaks, but not blow up the team and convince Kobe to stick it out.

What about trading for Artest, then sign Magloire for the MLE? Would that be enough to keep Kobe happy?

Farmar
Bryant
Artest
Odom
Magloire

????
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

OMG!!! Troy Murphy with JO??? No way. No way. That is WAYYY too much salary. His contract is not tradeable.
Kobe
JO
Troy
That is not a championship team and we would not be able to change it.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
Aidan
Both Teams Play Hard.

Aidan has decent reputation

Im really not in support of the Odom+Bynum for JO. I mean your giving up a future franchise center IMO and a 2nd Tier Star for a big man who gets paid MVP Money and give far from MVP like performance. Artest would be a far better fit, then the lakers could spend their MLE on a quality point guard ( Mo Williams?) and draft a big man (Sean Williams? I know he's had his problems, but, my god, that kid knows defence). That would give the Lakers a starting 5 of
PG-Williams/Farmar
SG-Kobe/Evans
SF-Artest/Vlad Rad
PF-Odom/Turiaf
C-Williams/Bynum/Brown

Also Trading Kwame for a PG/PF that can produce more would also bring a huge improvement.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

Let me make myself very clear. The lakers did the right thing in saying no bynum and LO for JO that is to much for JO. Now, it's the Pacer time on the clock remember they are in the re-building mode not us. Larry is setting back smiling thinking every sense Kobe made that statement of wanting to be traded that he (BIRD) can ask for what he wants. Good job Mitch....If Kobe wants us to give up everything for him then he must realize I'm a true laker fan for life with him or without him. I love the team...................
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
schyza
High School Starter

schyza has decent reputationschyza has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
Let me make myself very clear. The lakers did the right thing in saying no bynum and LO for JO that is to much for JO. Now, it's the Pacer time on the clock remember they are in the re-building mode not us. Larry is setting back smiling thinking every sense Kobe made that statement of wanting to be traded that he (BIRD) can ask for what he wants. Good job Mitch....If Kobe wants us to give up everything for him then he must realize I'm a true laker fan for life with him or without him. I love the team...................

Co-ssign

For most real Laker fans

Lakers > Kobe
schyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
well said...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: