Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
Wizardly Cool
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Actually, The_Masterplan is somewhat correct.

Anthropologists believe wisdom teeth, or the third set of molars, were the evolutionary answer to our ancestorís early diet - which was rough foods - like leaves, roots, nuts and raw meats. These required more chewing power and resulted in excessive wear of the teeth. The modern diet as we know it today (and has been for many centuries) is softer foods, along with marvels of modern technologies such as forks, spoons and knives, has made the need for wisdom teeth nonexistent. As a result, evolutionary biologists now classify wisdom teeth as vestigial organs, or body parts that have become functionless due to evolution.

I can recall studying something about this awhile back, and just to confirm when I was at my dentist getting an implant put in a few years ago, he validated this to be correct as he studied this during dentistry.

Maybe not all of The_Masterplan's theories or ideas are right on the money, but he's not out of his mind. I will say however that hydrocodone will put your mental in a very, very relaxed state!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
Wizardly Cool
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Oh wait, here comes boozehound's "STFU already you imbecile" reply.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #18
The_Masterplan
Banned
 
The_Masterplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,266
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
heres the difference between wisdom teetha nd a true vestigial organ like the appendix. The appendix does nothing, cannot do anything regardless of wether we leave it in or remove it. If you let your wisdom teeth erupt, you would use them (they still serve a useful purpose). So its really a social reason behind why we remove them (people find squished up grills unattractive in our society). is that clear? Its like if we only gave birth through C-section. The birth canal is still potentially useable, we have just decided (culutrally) not to use it.

Aight, I gotcha.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #19
The_Masterplan
Banned
 
The_Masterplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,266
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly Cool
Actually, The_Masterplan is somewhat correct.

Anthropologists believe wisdom teeth, or the third set of molars, were the evolutionary answer to our ancestorís early diet - which was rough foods - like leaves, roots, nuts and raw meats. These required more chewing power and resulted in excessive wear of the teeth. The modern diet as we know it today (and has been for many centuries) is softer foods, along with marvels of modern technologies such as forks, spoons and knives, has made the need for wisdom teeth nonexistent. As a result, evolutionary biologists now classify wisdom teeth as vestigial organs, or body parts that have become functionless due to evolution.

I can recall studying something about this awhile back, and just to confirm when I was at my dentist getting an implant put in a few years ago, he validated this to be correct as he studied this during dentistry.

Maybe not all of The_Masterplan's theories or ideas are right on the money, but he's not out of his mind. I will say however that hydrocodone will put your mental in a very, very relaxed state!

Yep! It's all a matter of communicating an idea correctly. Something that i am still working on.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #20
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic
 
Enigmatism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 812
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Well, anthropologists do speculate that we originally had Wisdom teeth due to our diet and to push forward teeth if we lost one, which is probably true, however they do not actually replace another tooth, although I have heard of one being implanted to replace a molar.
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #21
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,459
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly Cool
Oh wait, here comes boozehound's "STFU already you imbecile" reply.

sometimes I wonder what I did to you in a past life.
Heres the point, they aren't vestigial if they can still function. If you let your teeth errupt, you would still use them to chew your food. This is (to me anyway) significantly different than an organ like the appendix (which used to aid in digestion through bile secretion) or wings on a flightless bird.

Sure, if you want to argue they are vestigial its a reasonable point of view (anatomically modern human jaw is smaller, they dont fit, diet has changed). I just dont see it that way.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #22
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,459
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism
Well, anthropologists do speculate that we originally had Wisdom teeth due to our diet and to push forward teeth if we lost one, which is probably true, however they do not actually replace another tooth, although I have heard of one being implanted to replace a molar.
lets clarify, funtionally replace another tooth.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:57 PM   #23
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic
 
Enigmatism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 812
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Yeah I know I think I'm just being argumentative... at any rate, the point of it being an evolutionary trait is true enough
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #24
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,125
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

they're getting redundant. but evolution's a painfully slow process by itself, and social factors have almost completely excluded "reproduction success" as most important premise of evolution.

in todays world no one's going to have better chances of survival because he has or doesn't has wisdom teeth.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #25
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,459
Default Re: Wisdom Teeth: More proof of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
they're getting redundant. but evolution's a painfully slow process by itself, and social factors have almost completely excluded "reproduction success" as most important premise of evolution.

in todays world no one's going to have better chances of survival because he has or doesn't has wisdom teeth.
eaxctly, so its not selected for. There has to be differential reproduction relative to the trait in question.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy