Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: Rank the greatest finals shots of all time

I'll put it this way....

Two teams are in game 6.

Both of them are losing game 6.

One makes a shot to win the title.

One makes a shot to force OT.

Which do you choose to happen for your team?

A shot that wins the NBA title is always greater than a shot to force an overtime in a game that even if you win...doesnt win you the title.

What more can a shot accomplish....than winning the NBA title?

Does it need to cure cancer too?
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #17
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
I didn't realize I had to spell out all the factors for putting together a list. There is sense. You apply context. You might as well say that there's no sense in making a top 10 player all time ranking list then. Yet people do it all the time.

In no particular order:

Difficulty
Circumstances
When and how it happened
Was a legacy saved
What lasting effect did it have
What was the score at the time of the shot

A shot that forces OT that ultimately results in a win is exactly that. A chain reaction that led up to the win. You can't just dismiss it as begin a lesser shot because it didn't result in a win then and there. There's context to be had. However if a shot is made by an individual when the team is already up in points due to team contribution, how the hell is that the equivalent to a shot made by an individual that is made that is REQUIRED to win? It's not.

Yes its exactly that.

Its a lesser shot than a shot that actually wins.

We really in here arguing Ray Allen forcing an overtime vs Michael Jordan ripping Karl Malone and hitting a jumper to put his team up to win the title then and there?

That really what we are doing?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #18
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
However if a shot is made by an individual when the team is already up in points due to team contribution, how the hell is that the equivalent to a shot made by an individual that is made that is REQUIRED to win? It's not.

What shot is that even in reference to?

Something Lebron related I assume.

The game 7 shot to extend the lead?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #19
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I'll put it this way....

Two teams are in game 6.

Both of them are losing game 6.

One makes a shot to win the title.

One makes a shot to force OT.

Which do you choose to happen for your team?

A shot that wins the NBA title is always greater than a shot to force an overtime in a game that even if you win...doesnt win you the title.

What more can a shot accomplish....than winning the NBA title?

Does it need to cure cancer too?

You are missing the big picture. If the shot puts the team into OT and they end up winning, it resulted in a win at a future time in the game as a direct action of the shot. If that shot isn't made, there is no CHANCE for them to win.

Both scenarios you mention are a wash. So you move to other categories like difficulty of the shot or circumstances among other things to decide which one is better. You apply context and ultimately narrow it down on how to classify the shot. A shot that wins an NBA title right then and there is not the end all be all. It's one of many factors. A shot that saves a legacy has some serious weight to it. Especially when you factor in the degree of difficulty and the context around it. None of MJ's finals shots even come close to what Ray or Kyrie did when you look at all the context. MJ winning after he's already won 5 times vs a shot that gives CLE their first win in 5 years? Um.... Stop taking in only one factor. The picture is much broader.

Last edited by egokiller : 09-03-2018 at 10:14 PM.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #20
AirBonner
Tatyum

Quote:
You are missing the big picture. If the shot puts the team into OT and they end up winning, it resulted in a win at a future time in the game as a direct action of the shot. If that shot isn't made, there is no CHANCE for them to win.

Both scenarios you mention are a wash. So you move to other categories like difficulty of the shot or circumstances among other things to decide which one is better. You apply context and ultimately narrow it down on how to classify the shot. A shot that wins an NBA title right then and there is not the end all be all. It's one of many factors. A shot that saves a legacy has some serious weight to it. Especially when you factor in the degree of difficulty and the context around it. None of MJ's finals shots even come close to what Ray or Kyrie did when you look at all the context.
Dumbass. A shot that goes in that wins the game right then and there is always better.
AirBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #21
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBonner
Dumbass. A shot that goes in that wins the game right then and there is always better.

No, it's not. You aren't seeing the big picture. I don't give a fvck for example if MJ makes a shot in the 98 finals for his 6th win relative to what Kyrie did. WE KNOW MJ is going to do that. By that point, it was A GIVEN. Now compare that to Kyrie making that shot which everyone knows is the reason why Cavs won for the first time in 50 years. There is no comparison. Anyone who thinks Kyrie's shot isn't the biggest finals shot in NBA finals history is a clown.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #22
AirBonner
Tatyum

Quote:
No, it's not. You aren't seeing the big picture. I don't give a fvck for example if MJ makes a shot in the 98 finals for his 6th win relative to what Kyrie did. WE KNOW MJ is going to do that. By that point, it was A GIVEN. Now compare that to Kyrie making that shot which everyone knows is the reason why Cavs won for the first time in 50 years. There is no comparison. Anyone who thinks Kyrie's shot isn't the biggest finals shot in NBA finals history is a clown.
A shot that goes in and wins you the title is greater. This is not a debate.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #23
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

This shit really has gone too far when we have guys downplaying Michael Jordan hitting probably the most famous shot in basketball history.....a title winning pullup for the threepeat...wrist hanging....to find a way to hate on Lebron james.

A topic on Jordan being greater than Lebron has....as its core...the premise that the greatest moment of Jordans career is overrated.

You want to talk Kyrie? Ok. That shot won a title...even if it was a tie game(which Lebron haters apparently dont care about when someone else makes a shot).

Kyrie and Jordans shots both have to go over a shot to tie a game....

One could argue....Jordan stealing it from Karl and making that shot as the greatest play in American sports history. You have to try to bring MJs greatest moment down over some Lebron james bullshit? 500 million people have acted out that Jordan shot since it happened. People not born yet....leave the hand up throwing balls of trash away. Thats perhaps the biggest shot the game of basketball will ever produce in terms of history and notoriety. Thats THE shot of the greatest player of all times career.

Can we leave mike out of your Lebron thing?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #24
LAmbruh
5* General

oh look, it's our local insecure ISH Jordan stan writing essays again
LAmbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
tpols
we already won

Ray Allen's shot is an iconic shot...is anybody really buying it was just another shot to force OT?
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #26
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Jordan's shot after stealing the ball from Malone is nothing to write off. It WAS the biggest shot in finals history.

And then Kyrie and Ray Allen happened. Talk about holy fvck moments how is that even possible moments.

No one defends MJ on here more than me and 3ball.

Even 3ball will tell you Kryie and Ray Allen have the #1 and #2 GOAT finals shots of all time after taking the big picture into account.

It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Ray Allen's shot is an iconic shot...is anybody really buying it was just another shot to force OT?

Someone sees the big picture.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #27
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:

Of course its iconic. But it aint:

Old 09-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #28
AirBonner
Tatyum

Quote:
It was a great shot. However, any shot that doesnít win the game (and title) as a result of it going in canít possibly be better than Jordanís shot.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #29
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBonner
It was a great shot. However, any shot that doesn’t win the game (and title) as a result of it going in can’t possibly be better than Jordan’s shot.

You better check with 3ball on that. Great shot? It's hands down the most difficult shot ever made in a finals game.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #30
E_Stamkos
//////////////////////

That final 6 minute stretch against Utah was breath taking and effectually defines why he's the single greatest player to ever grace the court.
E_Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: