Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #46
Dro
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: (Dallas) WHITE female officer walks into wrong apartment, kills BLACK legal occupant

Officer who shot man says she mistakenly entered his apartment. His family doesn’t believe it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.acd3150304cb

Quote:
Dallas police officer Amber Guyger said she thought there was a burglar inside her apartment. The room was unlit, the front door was ajar, and she saw a “large silhouette” inside, according to court documents. The officer drew her service weapon at the supposed burglar, shouted commands she said were ignored, and pulled the trigger, killing her neighbor — the man who actually lived there.

But family members of the man, Botham Jean, 26, disputed the officer's account of the fatal shooting that has led to a protest and become a rallying cry against police brutality.

Dallas civil rights lawyer Lee Merritt, who represents Jean's family, said the officer's claim that she had mistakenly entered the wrong apartment after coming home from a shift is inconsistent with evidence.

“There are witnesses who said that before the gunshots, they heard the officer knocking at the door and repeatedly saying, ‘Let me in,’ ” Merritt told The Washington Post.

Guyger, 30, was arrested on a manslaughter charge Sunday, three days after Jean was killed. The delay raised questions about why investigators held off on arresting the officer and about whether law enforcement authorities were showing deferential treatment for one of their own.

Dozens marched in Dallas on Sept. 10 to protest the fatal shooting of Botham Shem Jean by officer Amber Guyger, who is white. (Reuters)

On Monday night, dozens of protesters marched from the police department headquarters near downtown Dallas to the apartment building just a few blocks away, chanting Jean's name.

“What's his name?” a protest leader with a megaphone said.

“Botham Jean!” the rest responded.

Despite the arrest, Jean's mother, Allison Jean, said several questions remain unanswered.

“The number one answer that I want is, ‘What happened?’ ” she told reporters Monday. “I have asked too many questions, and I've been told that there are no answers yet. I'm looking forward to the powers that be to come up with the answers to make me more satisfied that they are doing what is in the best interest of getting justice for Botham.”

Officials have remained tight-lipped about what the officer's physical and mental state was at the time, whether she was under the influence of a controlled substance, why she thought Jean's apartment was hers, and why a trained officer seemed so quick to use deadly force.

The court documents released Monday offered the first official account of the shooting — that of the officer's.

Guyger arrived home just before 10 p.m. Thursday and parked her car on the fourth level of the apartment building garage, which corresponds to the floors where residents live. She tried to use her door key, which has an electronic chip, to open the apartment, but the door was already unlocked, documents say. She saw the “large silhouette” across the room, and fired her handgun twice after Jean allegedly ignored her verbal commands, striking him once in the torso.

Guyger called 911, turned on the lights and saw the apartment number on the front door: 1478. Her apartment is directly below, 1378.

A video taken from the building shows the officer on the phone, pacing back and forth outside the apartment and crying. Paramedics were later seen moving a man on a gurney and performing CPR on him.

Merritt, the attorney, said that based on his conversations with police officials, there was probable cause to arrest Guyger on a manslaughter charge. But, he said, investigators with the Texas Ranger Division, a separate state agency that took over the case, told him they wanted more evidence.

Dallas Police Chief Reneé Hall said that her office was in the process of obtaining an arrest warrant last week but that it was postponed after the Texas Ranger Division asked for additional time to investigate after interviewing Guyger.

A grand jury will ultimately decide the final charges against the officer and could consider charges such as murder, a first-degree felony, or the lesser charge of manslaughter, a second-degree felony.

Some of the protesters called for a murder charge.

“I’m mad, I’m sad, I’m frustrated because this is how you take hope from a people. This is how you show a people that they’re powerless, when we come out here and we’re asking for justice time and time again,” La’Shadion Shemwell told NBC affiliate KXAS-TV.

Nobody was injured in the protest, which lasted a few hours, according to media reports.

Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson vowed thoroughness and fairness as her office prepares to present the case to the grand jury.

“We're going to unravel whatever we need to unravel. We're going to unturn whatever we need to unturn,” Johnson said.

Guyger, who has been with the police department for four years and is now on administrative leave, has been released on $300,000 bail.

The Texas Department of Public Safety, which oversees the Rangers, declined to comment beyond a brief news release announcing Guyger's arrest. The district attorney's office did not respond to a request for comment. The Dallas Police Association was not immediately available to comment Tuesday.

Jean, an accountant, was a native of the small Caribbean island of St. Lucia. Merritt, the family attorney, said Jean moved to Arkansas, where he attended Harding University, and later became a naturalized U.S. citizen.

Jean was described as a man who loved God and worshiped through singing. Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said he was a model citizen.

Jean's death has placed the national spotlight back on a city that, just two years ago, lost five police officers in a shooting. A gunman, who said he “wanted to kill white people, especially white officers,” opened fire during a peaceful protest of police shootings. It also has reignited questions about police brutality against black men, although Hall, the police chief, said she doesn't know whether race played a role in Jean's death.

Judging by the fact that his apartment number is so similar to hers, I'm inclined to believe there's nothing really racial about this. Also the fact she was caught on camera after the fact, crying and obviously distraught, tells me it was a mistake and she felt remorse. I just think its more likely she was either high on something or drunk as hell or something.

Also about that protest, keep in mind is was a PEACEFUL protest, yet police officers reportedly still threw tear gas in the crowd.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #47
ItsMillerTime
O LA DI PO

Default Re: (Dallas) WHITE female officer walks into wrong apartment, kills BLACK legal occupant

Imagine just chilling in your apartment watching TV in your underwear and some stranger barges in and point blank shoots you. If she wasn't an officer, this would be an open and closed case.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #48
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

The NRA's Dana Loesch has said that Botham Jean might still be alive had he been a licensed gun owner.

Quote:
This could have been very different if Botham Jean had been, say he was a law abiding gun owner and he saw somebody coming into his apartment,” Loesch said on NRATV’s Relentless on Monday. “I don’t think there’s any context that the actions would have been justified. If I see somebody coming into my house and I’m not expecting them and they’re walking in like they own the place, I would — I would act to defend myself.

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/ha...esperson-says/

Took longer than I expected...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #49
highwhey
EMPLOYED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro
Officer who shot man says she mistakenly entered his apartment. His family doesn’t believe it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.acd3150304cb

Judging by the fact that his apartment number is so similar to hers, I'm inclined to believe there's nothing really racial about this. Also the fact she was caught on camera after the fact, crying and obviously distraught, tells me it was a mistake and she felt remorse. I just think its more likely she was either high on something or drunk as hell or something.

Also about that protest, keep in mind is was a PEACEFUL protest, yet police officers reportedly still threw tear gas in the crowd.
it’s not about race, but sh still deserves to rot in prison. i think it’s bs that being a cop gives you special treatment from the law.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #50
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
The NRA's Dana Loesch has said that Botham Jean might still be alive had he been a licensed gun owner.

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/ha...esperson-says/

Took longer than I expected...

the only if argument is such a stupid point to make.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #51
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

I’m sorry, but I’m not remotely buying this “I thought it was my apartment” thing.

I mean, did you not notice when you opened the door that everything inside was different? Like, was her first thought “OMG, somebody broke in and changed all the furniture”?

This is not believable. There’s something else going on here. Her story could only be true if she was high on bath salts or something. I don’t buy for a second that she thought it was her apartment.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #52
Patrick Chewing
#MAGADETH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
I’m sorry, but I’m not remotely buying this “I thought it was my apartment” thing.

I mean, did you not notice when you opened the door that everything inside was different? Like, was her first thought “OMG, somebody broke in and changed all the furniture”?

This is not believable. There’s something else going on here. Her story could only be true if she was high on bath salts or something. I don’t buy for a second that she thought it was her apartment.

Well, the other side would just have you believe that she flat out killed him because he was Black. Which begs the question, why not kill him before? He had already been living there for a while. Why decide that day to kill him?

So yes, there is obviously something fishy with this story. She was even in uniform at the time. So unless she was exhausted from her shift, or was on drugs, or was having a relationship with this guy, it's impossible to believe this was just a random shooting for no reason.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #53
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
the only if argument is such a stupid point to make.

This has been the NRA's MO for quite some time now: the more guns, the better in almost every situation.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #54
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Well, the other side would just have you believe that she flat out killed him because he was Black. Which begs the question, why not kill him before? He had already been living there for a while. Why decide that day to kill him?

There are very few people on any side stressing that race played a critical role in the shooting. At this point, the family is simply looking for answers.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #55
Patrick Chewing
#MAGADETH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
There are very few people on any side stressing that race played a critical role in the shooting. At this point, the family is simply looking for answers.

You're a very objective poster. I respect you, friend.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #56
plowking
Verticle?

Where was her apartment in relation to his?

Could be a jaded hook up or gf?
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #57
Bill Russell
Banned

lol, you know... he COULD be alive had he carried a gun himself... but that leaves him with the problem of a dead ****ing cop in his apartment.

The idea that he killed her because she drew down on him inside his own apartment for no reason is just as absurd sounding as the idea that she wandered into his apartment for no reason.

This is all very weird.

She's either dirty as ****, was high as **** at the time, or she's completely mentally ill... maybe some combination of all three, who knows...

But she needs to go to jail no matter what.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #58
oh the horror
NBA Legend

So apparently they searched the victims appartment and found a little bit of weed among other things. I like how this immediately gets released to the press but we have yet to get ANY info on the officer.

This is how they operate. They will attempt to assassitnate his character to shape public perception while they continue to build a case to get this officer on the least amount of charges.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/search-...eadly-shooting

Last edited by oh the horror : 09-14-2018 at 12:49 AM.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #59
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
So apparently they searched the victims appartment and found a little bit of weed among other things. I like how this immediately gets released to the press but we have yet to get ANY info on the officer.

This is how they operate. They will attempt to assassitnate his character to shape public perception while they continue to build a case to get this officer on the least amount of charges.

Yeah, this is pretty much indefensible. No rational person is going to argue in favor of the officer... for anything... given her story.

Her lie wasn't good enough and you can't put that cat back in the bag. It's too late.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #60
Vino24
Blunt stuntin’

It's pretty clear what is going on here. Police officers have an expiration. Think about it. As a police officer you go to work and people want to kill you every single day. That shit will break anyone down.
Vino24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: